News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Are you good at Algebra?

Started by taco_harvell, April 30, 2010, 11:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco_harvell

Well I think it's official, I'm going to college again.

So I need to know who is good at Algebra. If you are I need your name, address, and phone number. I also need the name of your best friend, their phone number, your cell number, and the number of a third person who can come wake you up in the middle of the night if you don't answer my calls for much needed help.

:hypocrite: :hypocrite: :hypocrite: :hypocrite: :hypocrite:

j/k
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

titushome

I used to be really, really good at algebra - good enough to tutor other students.

That was almost fifteen years ago, but you're welcome to give me a try if you need some help.  You may also want to check on whether your school has a tutoring center (like the one I worked at).  They're enormously helpful, since you can sit down with a live person who can walk you through things, multiple times if necessary.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Tricia Lea

well I am going to have to repeat MAT-070 Introductory Algebra  this quarter as I didnt catch on too good last

But thankfully it being a pre college level it does not count on my GPA

The Purple Fuzzy

My answer is:  NO!  I'm not good at Algebra. ;)

nicolejoy

I'm good, if I may say so myself ;) I'm not that out of practice either... although I'm sure I'm not AS good as I was when I was actually studying...

newkris

i am not, clearly.

BUT  i will tell you that nicjoy has helped me through THREE math/science classes.  she rocks!

by the way, nic, i got an A- in my genetics class!  i know it was due in large part to your help.  thank you so much! 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

nicolejoy

I'm so glad it was so helpful for you!! I love math/science and if I could, I'd be an eternal student ;) I love studying. Yes, I'm weird I know ;)

newkris

i love studying, too, and would be an eternal student if i could be . . .maybe i will be  hhhhmmm . . .but NOT in science/math.  english/literature/writing that's my cup of tea!
me, too.

there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Geri

I was great at it about 6 years ago.......now I could figure out 2x=10, but that's probably about all. lol

taco_harvell

Well, I just got the official email. I start my first course Monday. Orientation starts tomorrow.

The next chapter begins. :)

Scott

I got A's and B's in Algebra and promptly forgot everything I learned.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Tricia Lea

I HATE multiplying, dividing and factoring polynomials

taco_harvell

Quote from: Tricia Lea on May 05, 2010, 12:43:20 AM

Can you say that last word in English? lol

newkris

Quote from: taco_harvell on May 04, 2010, 07:24:34 PM
Well, I just got the official email. I start my first course Monday. Orientation starts tomorrow.

The next chapter begins. :)

CONGRATS!!  that's awesome!  you will enjoy school much more than you expect to.  you will learn so much and become a better version of yourself.   :clap:

and don't forget to ask for help here.  nicjoy wasn't the only one who helped, she is just the one i remember by name.  i actually ended up with a few tutors from here when i was doing my math class. 

YOU CAN DO THIS!!
me, too.

Tricia Lea

Quote from: taco_harvell on May 05, 2010, 12:49:03 AM

Heres an example of a polynomial we had to do in algebra, This stuff ALMOST drove me insane

8y3 − 42y2 + 72y + 378

taco_harvell

Quote from: Tricia Lea on May 05, 2010, 04:32:00 AM
Quote from: taco_harvell on May 05, 2010, 12:49:03 AM

Heres an example of a polynomial we had to do in algebra, This stuff ALMOST drove me insane

8y3 − 42y2 + 72y + 378
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

nicolejoy

In Australia, all that stuff is high school level maths rather than college... You can choose to take a lower level of maths, but you can't get really get into university without doing things like polynomials and calculus etc...

titushome

Quote from: Tricia Lea on May 05, 2010, 04:32:00 AM
8y3 − 42y2 + 72y + 378

Where's the "equals" sign?  It doesn't mean anything without one of those.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

nicolejoy

You can still use it to divide/multiply etc - you just can't "solve" it. It still means something.

titushome

Quote from: nicolejoy on May 14, 2010, 04:35:23 AM
You can still use it to divide/multiply etc - you just can't "solve" it. It still means something.

Well, that's what I meant; you can't solve it.

And, one might argue, as long as it hasn't been solved the meaning is at best indeterminate.  :D
- Augustine

nicolejoy

But she was talking about multiplying, dividing and factorising polynomials so in that context, it does have "meaning" at least ;)

The Cold Water Kid

Quote from: nicolejoy on May 02, 2010, 09:57:32 AM
I'm so glad it was so helpful for you!! I love math/science and if I could, I'd be an eternal student ;) I love studying. Yes, I'm weird I know ;)
Don't you wish there was a way to make a living being a student? I've wondered if I should become a teacher (or a professor); at least I could spend my days in a classroom environment. Do you think loving being a student is an indication that someone would love teaching?

nicolejoy

I think so - I want to get my dip ed but it got pushed back because of family/kids... I was actually doing my PhD (in Chemistry) but didn't like the research so much - I loved the teaching/tutoring side of it... if I had've gotten my PhD, I would have loved the lecturing and all that - and loved the conferences etc but not the lab work so much...

yosemite

My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

CDAGeek

I'm a math major in an accelerated masters program. I also work as a math tutor, so if you ever want/need some help or advice just let me know. If you want to IM me, I'll send ya some other contact info if you're interested.