News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Recipes/Info for those who want to be Healthier

Started by Melody, April 02, 2010, 05:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iridiscente

Quote from: MellowYellow on January 14, 2011, 05:39:10 PM
This is so very cool. I wish I had known a few months ago, I would have done this.  We live next door to a park.  If there is a good acorn crop this fall, we're going to do it! 

What sparked this was Andrew is learning more about Native Americans and that many made acorn flour.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Acorn-Flour

Probably not the same kind of acorns, but I found this acorn facial cleanser while browsing a Korean site: http://www.koreabeautyhouse.com/product/164

Melody

Cool!

Making spicy nuts and they are incredibly good.  Too good.  I shoulda bought more nuts.

2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups pecan halves/almonds/peanuts
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix all together and bake on a cookie sheet @ 300° for 30 min. checking frequently and stirring.

I made 2 batches of this and it covered over 5 cups of nuts.  I used raw pecans, almonds and spanish peanuts.  It was hard trying to figure out what kind of peanut to use, so I went w/ the cheapest.. lol

I also made a fruit dip w/ the fruit platter.  All the recipes I found use either cool whip or marshmellow fluff for the sweetness.  So I went w/ marshmellow fluff, yogurt and cream cheese.  Almost equal amounts of each, maybe the cr.cheese a little lesser.  It tastes good!  It's also a very slick way to get people to eat their fruit!

mmm... I'm starving now... lol 

We are doing dinner w/ friends, one family that is researching to homeschool their kids, one family of 10 that homeschools, and us, who are in our 2ndish yr of it.  Made a big pot of cream of tomato basil soup. 

yeah, hungry.  I think I'm about to knaw off my arm.   :updown:

Lynx

Be quiet over there!  I just ate and now you made me hungry again.   :roll:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

iridiscente

All of that sounds amazing. I am going to make some granola today with as many nuts as I can find in the freezer.

sunlight

I want to try the acorn flour... really bad...
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Melody

Going to make my own mouthwash. I learned that basically, commercial mouthwash contributes to chronic bad breath.  :-?

Most of them contain a high % of alcohol, which alters the pH of the mouth and is associated w/ increased risk of throat and mouth cancer.  They also contain harsh detergents and sorbitol and saccharin, which cause bladder cancer in animals.  Finally, most lurid-colored mouthwashes contain synthetic colors, aromas, and flavorings which alter our healthy mouth flora. 

Mint Zinger Mouthwash
1 c. alo vera juice
½ c. distilled water
1 T witch hazel
2t baking soda
20 drops of peppermint essential oil

16oz bottle (like your last mouthwash bottle ☺)

Mix everything in a bowl/pitcher and pour into bottle.

Yields about 14oz of mouthwash
Shelf life: 2 wks in a cool dark cupboard.

This mouthwash is also antibacterial.

Melody

Last night I noticed the first specific food mentioned in the Bible:  Figs.  Since it was in the garden of Eden, I thought it must be an exceptional food because God put every good food to eat there.  We know the garden was perfect.

So I decided to look up info on Figs and of course, it's an amazing food.  I've had dried figs and like them.  I also looked up some recipes and am going to make the cookie recipe at the bottom with a few tweaks. :)

-Fig trees have no blossoms on their branches. The blossom is inside of the fruit! Many tiny flowers produce the crunchy little edible seeds that give figs their unique texture.

-Figs naturally help hold in moisture in baked goods, keeping them fresher.

-Fig puree can be used to replace fat in baked goods.

-Eating one half cup of figs has as much calcium as drinking one-half cup of milk.

-Fresh figs, especially black mission, are good in poly-phenolic flavonoid anti-oxidants such as carotenes, lutein, tannins, chlorogenic acid...etc. Their anti-oxidant value is comparable to that of apples.

-In addition, fresh fruits contain adequate levels of some of the anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin A, E, and K. Altogether these phyto-chemical compounds in fig fruit help scavenge harmful oxygen derived free radicals from the body and thereby protect us from cancers, diabetes, degenerative diseases and infections.

-Furthermore, research studies suggest that chlorogenic acid in these berries help lower blood sugar levels and control blood-glucose levels in type-II diabetes mellitus (Adult onset) condition.

-Fresh as well as dried figs contain good levels of B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine, folates, and pantothenic acid. These vitamins function as co-factors for metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.

-Dried figs are excellent source minerals like calcium, copper, potassium, manganese, iron, selenium and zinc. 100 g of dried figs contain 640 mg of potassium, 162 mg of calcium, 2.03 mg of iron and 232 mg of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for red blood cell formation as well for cellular oxidation.

all that, just in figs!

Fig and Walnut Cookies

Pastry Dough:
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour  (I'll use a different or mix of flours that is healthier)
2/3 cup sugar  (I'll use organic suncanat or coconut or date sugar)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature

Filling and Cookies:
9 ounces dried Mission figs, stems discarded
1/2 cup raisins  (Depending on how expensive figs are I will use dates or cherries that I already have)
3/4 cup honey  (I'll use raw honey)
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 large egg, beaten to blend

Directions
For the pastry dough: Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl to blend. Mix the flour, sugar, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until the butter is the size of small peas. Add the egg mixture and mix with a fork until the dough comes together. Gather the dough into a ball. Divide the dough in 2 and flatten into disks. Wrap the dough disks in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, for the filling and cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper. Finely chop the figs and raisins in a food processor. Add the honey, orange juice, cinnamon, and lemon zest, and pulse just to blend. Scrape the fig mixture into a medium bowl. Stir in the walnuts. Transfer the fruit mixture to a pastry bag.

Roll out 1 disk of dough on a floured work surface to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch diameter biscuit cutter, cut out dough rounds. Gather the dough scraps into a disk, then cover and refrigerate while assembling the cookies. Spoon the fruit mixture in the center of each dough round. Lightly moisten the edges of the dough with the egg wash. Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges to seal. Arrange the cookies evenly apart on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops of the cookies with egg wash. Bake until the cookies are pale golden, about 18 minutes.

Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely. Repeat with the refrigerated dough scraps and remaining filling.

Lynx

So when someone says "I don't give a fig" that's actually a lot he's not giving?

Okay, okay... hush Isaac.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Melody

This explains sugar the most comprehensively I've read yet.

QuoteYou must first understand why a natural sugar cane is healthy and nourishing.  The natural sugar cane is brimming with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, fibers, and phytonutrients that help the body digest the naturally occurring sugars. The minerals required to digest sugar are calcium, phosphorous, chromium, magnesium, cobalt, copper, iron, zinc and manganese. It also contains vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B6, niacin, and pantothenic acid, which work synergistically with the minerals to nourish the body.

Of more importance is the presence of compounds in natural sugar cane called polyphenols.  Polyphenols are a large class phytonutrients with powerful antioxidant properties and numerous potential health benefits.  Sugarcane contains a unique mix of antioxidant polyphenols.  The polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals present in sugar cane help slow down the absorption of the sugars and prevent the sharp rise in blood sugar levels associated with refined sugar.

When you eat any type of sugar that has been refined, your body has to pull stored nutrients from itself  to be able to properly digest the sugar.  This is called leaching, refined sugar robs calcium and other minerals from your bones, tissues, and teeth in order to be digested.  Since calcium is one of the most abundant mineral in natural sugar cane and needed the most for proper digestion of sugar, it is the most important to retain.

Another important aspect of natural sugar cane is the balance of the different types of sugars.  Raw natural sugar has a balance of sucrose, glucose, and fructose, whereas refined sugars are almost exclusively sucrose (the fructose and glucose have been washed out).  The more sucrose, the more it raises your blood sugar.

During refinement, the sugarcane juice is pressed from the sugar cane and boiled at high temperatures.  The boiling destroys the enzymes and many of the nutrients.   The juice is then separated into a sugar stream and a molasses stream.  Most of the minerals from the sugar cane go into the molasses, leaving the sugar stream virtually void of nutrients.  To further refine it (removing any remaining nutrients), the sugar stream is then crystallized through evaporation.  White sugar is usually further processed with phosphoric acid, formic acid, sulphur dioxide, preservatives, flocculants, surfactants (lard is frequently used as a defoamer), bleaching agents, and viscosity modifiers.

Sounds horrible, right?  It is! The resulting sugar does not even resemble what was in the natural sugar cane.  Because it is so far removed from its natural state, the body doesn't recognize it as a food.  It is more like a chemical.

http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/resources/health-news/405-the-truth-about-evaporated-cane-juice

Melody

I've read that buying lowfat salad dressings are counter productive.  1. Because of what they use to make up for the fat.  2. Because a GOOD oil helps our bodies actually absorb more of the nutrients from the vegetables. 

Roasted Green Beans with Mushrooms, Balsamic, and Parmesan
(Makes 4-6 servings, recipe created by Kalyn)

Ingredients:
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced in 1/2 inch slices (I used brown crimini mushrooms, but any mushrooms will work)
1 lb. fresh green beans, preferably thin French style beans
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 T finely grated parmesan cheese

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 450F/230C. Wash mushrooms and let drain (or spin dry in salad spinner, which is what I did.) While mushrooms are drying, trim ends of beans and cut beans in half so you have bite-sized pieces. (An easy way to trim them is to gather a small handful of beans, stand them up on cutting board, holding loosely so they will fall down and have ends ends aligned, then trim. Repeat with other end.) Cut mushrooms into slices 1/2 inch thick.

Put cut beans and mushrooms into a Ziploc bag or plastic bowl. Whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pour over, then squeeze bag or stir so all the beans and mushrooms are lightly coated with the mixture. Arrange on large cookie sheet, spreading them out well so beans and mushrooms are not crowded. Roast 20-30 minutes, starting to check for doneness after 20 minutes. Cook until beans are tender-crisp, mushrooms are cooked, and all liquid on the pan from mushrooms has evaporated. Season beans to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper, then sprinkle with finely grated Parmesan. Serve hot.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/01/recipe-for-roasted-green-beans-with.html

Lynx

That's probably why low fat stuff tastes... just... WRONG somehow.  Not less tasty, it tastes decidedly bad, like it's not real food.
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

This is a GREAT watch!  It's on Netflix streaming as well but I found it free for you guys!

http://www.book-cycle.org/media-gallery/mediaitem/3178-www-disclose-tv

Melody

Since the board has been trimmed up, I don't know if I should start another thread for the non food health things or if it's easier to just have it all in this thread?  I'm not even sure if anyone is interested anymore?? 

I've read plenty about how bad sunscreen really is, some research suggests it actually causes skin cancer.  But what else does a person do to not burn when they know they're going to be outside?  Logically, we shouldn't be half naked anyway, but what about our face, arms sometimes legs?  There are super thin T-shirts now that can be bought at like Target and such over the last few years that can help without being too uncomfortable covered up.  But long sleeves can get in the way of working outside in general. 

Finally, some logic and solution.  But as always it still has to be coupled with common sense.  So nobody run out bright white, half naked, looking to get a great tan simply by using what these references say...  ;)

You can google and find tons and tons on this subject, so I'm just posting the easy to read/understand ones.

"SPF essentially measures how much UV radiation is blocked. When you block these natural wavelengths you can cause more harm than good. Getting adequate natural sunlight is beneficial and healing. Sunlight helps balance hormones and is necessary for the production of vitamin D.

Vitamin D has been gaining a lot of attention in the scientific community in recent years and for good reason. Vitamin D is necessary for the formation of healthy, strong bones and for the prevention of osteoporosis, rickets, and osteomalacia. It is essential for proper immune function and is needed to help fight off infections, inhibit the development of autoimmune diseases (diabetes, lupus, MS, etc.), and block the formation of cancer. In addition, vitamin D helps regulate blood sugar levels, moderate blood pressure, ease chronic inflammation, helps prevent dementia, and can even ease risks associated with exposure to radiation.

Unlike other vitamins, vitamin D is produced by the action of UV rays from sunlight interacting with cholesterol in our skin. There are very few good dietary sources of vitamin D. The best sources are organ meats, particularly liver. If you don't eat liver or fish liver oils then you must get your vitamin D from sunlight. Unless you regularly eat organ meats, it is impossible to get enough vitamin D from food alone. Dietary supplements are a poor substitute for natural sources of vitamin D, and usually do not provide an adequate amount to satisfy needs. Therefore, sunlight is your best option.

Consequently, most of us are vitamin D deficient. Many of the health problems people battle with nowadays are either caused by or at least intensified by a vitamin D deficiency. Simply getting more exposure to sunlight could make a very significant difference in many people's health.

This problem has been compounded by an obsessive fear of skin cancer which has been drilled into us by the medical community and sunscreen marketers. We are continually warned to avoid getting too much sun and always put on protection when we do. It is wise to avoid getting sunburned, but not to avoid the sun altogether as many people seem to do. If you put on sunscreen, you block out the UV rays needed for vitamin D formation."

http://www.naturalnutritionadvisor.com/blog/?p=981

"When I first read this linked article, I thought, "Coconut Oil as a sunscreen?!  I'm gonna cook like a roasted chicken!"  But I'm living proof over the last 3 weeks that it works, and works great!  However, if you're fair-skinned like me, you will have to re-apply often (maybe once an hour or even more frequently depending on how white you are).  But your skin will be creamy and smooth!  And the reapplication isn't nearly as annoying as skin cancer..."

http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/post/27932369921/coconut-oil-as-sunscreen

and if you would like to read some more scientific explanations...

http://paleodietnews.com/5548/the-paleo-diet-and-sunscreens/

My hope is for anyone that cares can wrap their brain around the info before it's summer and we're out there busy being baked.  :)

Melody

Ok.  Since no one responded, this is my last post.  If no one is interested here, it's ok.   :)

http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/originals/cc/bb/4e/ccbb4e8e472ba5a36ac533f2e24b37dc.jpg

Lynx

Lack of response doesn't necessarily imply lack of interest.  Merely a lack of anything useful with which to respond.
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

Ok Heather asked for some super smoothie recipes.

Our all time favorite is called the green smoothie though it doesn't taste green at all. This recipe makes a full blender full.  Blend ingredients by firmest first then size.  For example if your banana is frozen, blend that first but if not but your blueberries are frozen, blend the berries first.  If both are frozen, blend fz banana then fz berries. 

1   Banana
2c.  Blueberries ($9 for a huge fz bag at Costco)
Handful of fresh spinach leaves ($4.50 for a tub @ Costco)
1-2Tbsp plain peanut butter
1/4c of ground flax or wheat germ
Almond milk till the consistency you like.

Things that will make it even more satisfying:

Chia seeds soaked in a bit of water for 15 min - overnight.
Hemp seeds
Protein powder
1tsp. Cocoa powder

If you like tropical flavored:

Walmart has a strawberry peach pineapple mango frozen mix

1 banana
2 cups of that
Chia, flax, protein powder
Coconut milk can or carton, doesn't matter

These ingredients have major sustenance in them.  They satisfy, keep you satisfied.   If u want something salty you could have some chicken broth like u would tea or natural jerky IF salt is not a current issue for you. 

Heather

Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

SippinTea

Oh dear. I am just now reading this thread, and I'm gonna have to come back when I have more time! I'm drooling already. *lol*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Melody

Pioneerwoman has some really good recipes.  Remember a lot of recipes can be made healthy or healthier by using real ingredients.
www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/cajun-chicken-pasta

This recipe is absolutely delicious.  My kids didn't think they'd like the veggies in it but they did!  The cajun spice is basically Tony's creole seasoning but it can be mimmicked with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, chili, thyme, basil &  bay.