News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ask a Yooper

Started by sunlight, February 22, 2010, 03:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upcchris

Quote from: YooperYankDude on February 25, 2010, 10:25:31 AM
Quote from: upcchris on February 25, 2010, 01:21:55 AM
What books do you read...what's your favourite genre and who's your favourite author? (trying to get back on topic...operative word being 'trying' :lol:)

I like reading the dictionary... and thesaurus...Wow, I thought I was the only one who used to do that

I enjoy books that have so much description, that I end up feeling as though I am really there in the story. As a kid I read a lot of Gilbert Morris, and Frank Peretti. They both have great description skills.

Other favorites as a kid were the "Chronicles of Narnia"... what kid didn't like them!amen to that!

I enjoy romantic comedies... or historical novels... and if there is a bit of clean romance involved, even better.Jane Austen? Gone with the Wind?

Deann Gist has been one of my most recent reads... a few of her books were awesome.

Another favorite... To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Intrigue and Adventure

I like non-fiction history, and topics having to do with different Wars...

And a bunch of others that I cannot think of now... lol   :lol:fantasy/sci fi?, have you heard of/read anything by Terry Pratchett or Isabelle Carmody or Tamora Pierce or Scott Westerfield?

Another biliophile! :great:
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: MelodyB on February 25, 2010, 11:22:39 PM
Have you ever read any or Randy Alcorns novels?
Not that I know of, perhaps... I'll look him up on your recommendation!  :lol:

If you like Frank Perretti's style, and you love Narnia, then you will most definately love Randy Alcorn.
I am still deciding on Narnia now... when I got into a UPC church, I always heard cause there is a witch and some other stuff, but have decided to reconsider it, because Lewis is an excellent writer, and I always loved it. I read them all when I was in 3rd grade.

I haven't read any Peretti lately, he knows a little too much about the spirit world for my liking... it all came to life when I was rereading "The Visitation." Kinda freaked me out, I have an overactive imagination sometimes.

You have to BUY Deadline, Dominion, and Deception. Those three books of his are the best fiction books I have ever read, aside from the Narnia series. ;)
By C.S. Lewis?

Feed The Bachelors 2010

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: upcchris on February 26, 2010, 01:09:30 AM
Quote from: YooperYankDude on February 25, 2010, 10:25:31 AM
Quote from: upcchris on February 25, 2010, 01:21:55 AM
What books do you read...what's your favourite genre and who's your favourite author? (trying to get back on topic...operative word being 'trying' :lol:)

I like reading the dictionary... and thesaurus...Wow, I thought I was the only one who used to do that
And I thought I was the only one too... lol. People always give me a weird look when I tell them that

I enjoy books that have so much description, that I end up feeling as though I am really there in the story. As a kid I read a lot of Gilbert Morris, and Frank Peretti. They both have great description skills.

Other favorites as a kid were the "Chronicles of Narnia"... what kid didn't like them!amen to that!
I put in a earlier reply, but I am just now considering rereading them, have been unsure of the witch stuff in there, and some of the magic as well... have to see.

I do have the Dramatized Audio versions for all 7 books... I like those, and hearing them is a little different than reading them, at least to me. I can do other things while they are playing in the background, like drive!

It's like listening to an Adventure in Odyssey... my other favorite audio program, that and Down Gilead Lane.  :lol:

I used to imagine what it would be like if I was there with them... and there is so much room for imagination for those, because he didn't tell all the possible stories. I always wished he had written more than 7 books in that series... maybe there are some lost transcripts somewhere...

I enjoy romantic comedies... or historical novels... and if there is a bit of clean romance involved, even better.Jane Austen? Gone with the Wind?
Have seen Gone with the Wind, found that one a bit annoying actually... she was such a brat.

Deann Gist has been one of my most recent reads... a few of her books were awesome.

Another favorite... To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Intrigue and Adventure

I like non-fiction history, and topics having to do with different Wars...

And a bunch of others that I cannot think of now... lol   :lol:fantasy/sci fi?, have you heard of/read anything by Terry Pratchett or Isabelle Carmody or Tamora Pierce or Scott Westerfield?
Never heard of any of them, I'll look them up though to satisfy my curiosity.

Not really any science fiction, Star Wars fanatic as a kid though... My grandparents has all of the original action figures, and I remember going to their house and playing church with the Star Wars figurines.

I went to a AOG church growing up, and they believe in getting the Holy Ghost, so I had all the storm troopers and Jedi with their hands raised to get the Holy Ghost, and I think it was Yoda preaching... lots of fun.

Another biliophile! :great:
Definitely don't have as many books as I would like to have, eventually I plan to have a floor to ceiling wall to wall library, with one of those cool ladders the goes around the room.

And a secret hiding place with a spin around fireplace on one side, and the bookcase on the other... but now it isn't a secret, so shhhh... don't tell anyone

Feed The Bachelors 2010

SippinTea

*cheers* Yay! Another Down Gilead Lane fan! :highfive:

I'm pinkwinking your thread (sort of) but I'm voting with Mel that you should check out Randy Alcorn's books. :) They're amazing. Truly. And I'm extremely picky when it comes to fiction.

I vote "no" on Peretti, and "yes" to C.S. Lewis. Not that you asked, but I thought I'd tell you anyhow. :cool:

Soooo... just to get us back on topic *lol*....
How short is short?
How far is the east from the west?
Have you ever seen a real live penguin?
What's good about Mondays?
Have you ever been in two places at once?

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: SippinTea on February 27, 2010, 01:59:18 AM
*cheers* Yay! Another Down Gilead Lane fan! :highfive:
Woohoo! Is there a DGL thread?  :lol:

I'm pinkwinking your thread (sort of) but I'm voting with Mel that you should check out Randy Alcorn's books. :) They're amazing. Truly. And I'm extremely picky when it comes to fiction.

I vote "no" on Peretti, and "yes" to C.S. Lewis. Not that you asked, but I thought I'd tell you anyhow. :cool:
I haven't read him since my last attempt over 8 yrs ago... lol...
Soooo... just to get us back on topic *lol*....
How short is short? Shorter than long, but longer than shortest...
How far is the east from the west?

Yoop breaks out into song  :sing:

Here I am, Lord, and I'm drowning in your sea of forgetfulness
The chains of yesterday surround me
I yearn for peace and rest
I don't want to end up where You found me
And it echoes in my mind, keeps me awake tonight
I know You've cast my sin as far as the east is from the west
And I stand before You now as though I've never sinned
But today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way

Jesus, can You show me just how far the east is from the west
'cause I can't bear to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other

I start the day, the war begins, endless reminding of my sin
Time and time again Your truth is drowned out by the storm I'm in
Today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way

I know You've washed me white, turned my darkness into light
I need Your peace to get me through, to get me through this night
I can't live by what I feel, but by the truth Your word reveals
I'm not holding on to You, but You're holding on to me
You're holding on to me

Jesus, You know just how far the east is from the west
I don't have to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
One scarred hand to the other

I love this song... and I agree... from one scarred hand to the other!

Have you ever seen a real live penguin? Yup... just at the zoo... unless you count watching people doing the polar jump up north here...

What's good about Mondays? 5 days closer to Saturday, than Sunday!

Have you ever been in two places at once? Physically or mentally, or a mixture of both... I have been a mixture of both quite a few times, still trying to figure out how to do that physically! If I do, I'll let you know, I am sure that would come in beneficial for you!   :biglaugh:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

SippinTea

Quote from: YooperYankDude on February 27, 2010, 02:15:26 AM
Have you ever been in two places at once? Physically or mentally, or a mixture of both... I have been a mixture of both quite a few times, still trying to figure out how to do that physically! If I do, I'll let you know, I am sure that would come in beneficial for you!   :biglaugh:

:biglaugh: Indeed.

RainbowJingles

I vote "no" on Peretti, as well.  I read "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness" and a couple others and enjoyed them when I was much younger.

Can't recall which book it was that I was reading when I recognized that he was giving WAY more time to the dark side of the spirit world than he was giving the Light.  It was like the darkness started to surround me, and I was like...  NO.  No matter WHO wins at the end of the book, I don't like this feeling that the darkness has so much power.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

25 Random things about Me...  :biglaugh:

1. I have "nice" hand-writing for a "guy" by the standards of most females that have ever read something I have written. I had 4 sisters, what can I say... no choice in the matter. Plus I like people to actually be able to read what I write without having to squint. Their mind will be already working hard enough to properly process the information I have written, to additionally have to concentrate on trying to dicipher what I've written.

2. I detest messy, sloppy hand writing... see above factoid...

3. I love to use "..." when I write, even in papers that I have written for English and other classes, I usually end up with many "..." in the paper. It is to me the normal pause that you have when speaking to a normal person, and unfortunately, I write exactly how I talk.

4. One of my favorite past times is reading the dictionary! There are an inumerable amount of words in the English language, and most people use just 500- 1000 of them in everyday speech.

5. I enjoy rambling and babbling... not one of my finer qualities, but hey... it helps pass the time! It also can get you out of sometimes otherwise uncomfortable situations.

6. I cannot stand the idea of a room full of people sitting in a circle, just looking at each other! I totally bugs me, and I usually end up having to say something that I find funny and that completely makes me look stupid just to get folks laughing...

7. I am excellent at comic relief... I don't mind if people laugh at me, or at my expense, as long as they are laughing... just don't get too personal when ya go there... lol...

8. I was an introvert as a child... I know that anyone who actually has met me past the age of 15 would find this extremely hard to believe. But coming from a bad childhood, and a divorced home, I had no idea of communication.

9. My best friends in the whole world have always been good books, with plenty of description! In fact, there are times that they have been my only friends... (see #8)...

10. I am a speed reader... when I choose to be, and I have trouble putting down a book once I get into it. I have read numerous 400+ page books in a matter of days. I will forget to eat, and forgoe sleep just to get a little further in my book!

11. I got to Borders Books and Barnes & Noble just so I can read books. Sure a library is fine also, but they do not have as great a selection as the other two... and I hate to order a book and wait for it to arrive if I have never read it! I've also been known to finally buy a book, read as much till the shop closes down, and then go read in my car for a few hours!

12. Once I get comfortable with someone, it is sometimes hard to get me to stop talking. Unless I realize that they need to talk and for me to listen... then I am all ears!

13. I love sitting by the fireplace with a giant stone hearth, in large leather recliner, just reading the newspaper, or my favorite novel!

14. I would love to travel all over the world...( who wouldnt... right?)... and take a billion pictures for a book...

15. I am not dyslexic... but if I get real excited and begin speaking really fast as I am known for doing, I sometime will mix up the beginning letters of words... or mix up the order of the words I intended to say into something else... like " Hey Mom, are we going to Pyle and Kat's house after church today?"... was really meant to say "Hey mom, are we going to Kyle and Pat's house after church today?"

16. I enjoy taking photos of completely random objects... mailboxes; fences; houses; patterns; designs... (you get the idea...)

17. I can almost find a way to get anyone to talk to me if I try... more than just a hello...

18. I love talking to older people... they have so much life experience! And the stories they know! Just give me an old person and unlimitted hot tea... they'll have to kick me out!

19. I love Harbor Blue Shingles on a house!

20. I love hot and cold mint tea with lemon and honey! I also love Lemon Zinger herbal tea with honey!

21. Life without Lebanon Bologna, Birch Beer (its soda pop folks!); Utz Barbecue Ripple (gotta be ripple!); Martins Barbecue Ripple; Peanut Butter filled doughnuts; gingerbread houses; and Einsteins Everything Bagels is possible to live, but so much sweeter with them! God Bless whoever invented all those things!

22. Wish I had a million dollars so I could franchise Hoss's Steak House here to Marinette, WI!!!

23. I like punctuation in 3's - ... !!! ???

24. Growing up, I had more female friends than male... I thought most of the guys I knew were jerks! Come to think of it... most of them were! LOL...

25. Never thought I'd find 25 random things to type when I started... but having done it... I think I could do another 25...

26. Gotcha!!!

Feed The Bachelors 2010

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

More random things about Yoop...

Do you like pets? Have you any? Pets are great... I have none. I am not a huge fan of fish, they are a little boring. Dogs, cats, and horses are good.

Which was the last book you read? Single Men Are Like Waffles, Single Women Are Like Spaghetti... lol

Are you fond of cooking? I love to cook... I am fairly good at it, and I enjoy making deserts, snacks, and cookies too! Gingerbread Houses are AWESOME!

Have you ever lived in another country? Well, I did live in Texas for a little while... Really! Down there they say "Texas... its like a whole other country!

Have you ever met a famous person? Define famous...

What do you do in your free time? I enjoy reading, and thinking. Photography, woodworking... pottery... talking... lol

What kind of food do you prefer eating when you are out? I like a GOOD steak... not just a mediocre one! I also like soups, bloomin onions, chips and salsa (Gotta be Chile's), and the salad bar!

What kind of people do you like? Most of them

What kind of people do you not like? Arrogant, stuck snobbies...

What are the various languages that you know to speak in? I can speak some German (4 yrs of HS), and some Spanish ( 2 yrs of H.S.)... yes, I took them both simultaneously while also taking English. I make a good attempt at speaking English... lol

What cartoon character best describes you the best? Haven't found one yet, I identify with different aspects of many.

If you had, an option to choose a place anywhere in the world where you could live for a year, where would it be? Scotland or Ireland hands down... it is so beautiful over there!

If you knew, could you try on any kind of work and that you would not fail in it, what would attempt doing? A photojournalist

What super-power would you most like to have, and why? Not sure... I like having the Holy Ghost though...

If you had $5 million to spend in 5 days, but with the clause that you could not spend any of it on
yourself or your family, what would you do with it? Send it to some of the different home missionaries I know... home missions is tough...

Which sports do you like? I like throwing a football around... dont mind tossing a baseball... is air hockey considered a sport???

Who do you respect the most? Besides God? Umm... anyone who has been married to their first spouse for 50 yrs or more... it is getting rare these days!

Who plays the most influential role in your life? Besides God...? Probably close friends here in Wisconsin

Which is your favorite concert you have ever attended until date? Never been to one...

Would you bungee jump? It would depend on where it is... lol

What were you like when you were a kid? (happy, playful...) I was a lone wolf, but definately pleasant, and for the most part happy. I had a great imagination, and LOTS of friends in books.

If you were the richest person on earth, what would you do with the money you had? Again, send it off to home and foreign missionaries, and maybe open or financially support an orphanage... do some traveling, and lots of photography!

What would your dream house be like? A four square house with a full wrap arround covered porch, situated on middle of 120 acres... a lot more to it than that... but that'll do for now!

If you could change something about yourself, what would it be & why? I make myself able to run better, and get rid of the bad knees!

When did you last have the heartiest laugh? I dont recall... I do it so often, they all kinda mesh together!

What do you prefer - spontaneity or stability? A balance of both, maybe leaning more toward spontaneity. I like plans, but plans can go bad, so that is where the spontaneity comes in. Sometimes just going off on a whim is SO much fun... ya gotta try it!

Do you love kids? Yes

What are your hobbies? Already covered this somewhere... lol

What two things could you not do when you were a kid? I was never really able to get out and see the local area we grew up in... or very much of the east coast... and I never got to play Ice Hockey... always wanted to!

Feed The Bachelors 2010

SippinTea

iridiscente

Better than do you like to cook is, do you like to do dishes?

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: iridiscente on February 28, 2010, 06:25:52 PM
Better than do you like to cook is, do you like to do dishes?

I enjoy both as long as I get to pick the dish soap... lol, and as long as it isn't 6 days of dishes stacked up.

Cooking is nice... but I am not a huge leftover fan, it really depends on what it is.

And if something goes bad in the fridge, like when I was a kid, things would get lost in there, and then found like a month later, and it was a question whether it was ever food, or a science project.

My parents used to make us go down to burn pile and dump out things that were not any longer edible... yuck... it was worse than changing a stinky diaper!

Feed The Bachelors 2010

upcchris

We've had that yick! Applesauce turns pretty fast. It's disgusting when you've got a roast on the table, grab the sauce jar and see through the glass that it's gone bad....I know the jar lid's tightly closed but even so....*sigh* I'm such a girl. :lol:

Did you use to tease your sisters?

Have you ever written a short story?
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: upcchris on March 01, 2010, 03:00:20 AM
We've had that yick! Applesauce turns pretty fast. It's disgusting when you've got a roast on the table, grab the sauce jar and see through the glass that it's gone bad....I know the jar lid's tightly closed but even so....*sigh* I'm such a girl. :lol:

Did you use to tease your sisters?
Used to? Still do... lol. And my brother too... lol. I probably do a lot more with the church family than regular family...

Have you ever written a short story?
I've started a few, but I am better at just story telling in person. It is hard to describe the hand motions that go into a story that I would tell around a camp fire... lol

I did a bit of poetry writing in High School... but nothing too fantastic. But then again, I haven't tried to write any stories lately...

Feed The Bachelors 2010

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: RainbowJingles on February 25, 2010, 05:56:35 PM
* RainbowJingles *becomes bold and sets a date for the wedding*

Feed The Bachelors 2010

sunlight

Dude! when! I will so quit my job to BE THERE!!!!
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

RainbowJingles

Quote from: RainbowJingles on February 25, 2010, 05:56:35 PM
* RainbowJingles becomes bold and calls off the wedding*

QFT and QFY

MelodyB

BOL!! That was SOO great when she ACCEPTED! Wow! We have been trying for YEARS to get her to do that!

;)
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

RainbowJingles

I only accepted that denial is the first stage of acceptance.  Aside from that, I have accepted nothing.

:nono:

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: RainbowJingles on March 01, 2010, 08:41:21 AM
I only accepted that denial is the first stage of acceptance.  Aside from that, I have accepted nothing.

So your still in the first stage of acceptance... how many hoops does he need to jump through?    :laughhard:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

RainbowJingles

One very small one.

With a diamond on it.

While down on one knee.

At my front door.

On a white horse.

In full armour.

Yeah.  That's all I'd ask.

Noting major, mind you.  I'm low maintenance.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: RainbowJingles on March 01, 2010, 08:51:24 AM
One very small one.

With a diamond on it.

While down on one knee.

At my front door.

On a white horse.

In full armour.

*His Best Announcer Impersonating Voice with overly deep tones*  There you have it folks... an official admission of what needs to take place... and now, back to John (and Rainbow)...  :laughhard:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

MelodyB

I just HEARD your announcer voice in my head. Lol

That was CRAZY last night. Did you know I only got 4 hours sleep and I had to come back to work this morning? And I'm not going to be able to even go home and rest at all till after 10 again tonight. LOL

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

SippinTea

BOL! I'm lovin' all the tidbits from that phone call I'm finding here, there, and everywhere. *grin* What fun.

Sooo... Yoop.... what was "informative" about the call last night? :D

RainbowJingles

Quote from: YooperYankDude on March 01, 2010, 08:49:20 AM
Quote from: RainbowJingles on March 01, 2010, 08:41:21 AM

So your still in the first stage of acceptance... how many hoops does he need to jump through?    :laughhard:
Quote from: RainbowJingles on March 01, 2010, 08:51:24 AM
One very small one.

With a diamond on it.

While down on one knee.

At my front door.

On a white horse.

In full armour.

Please note that, in keeping with the female tradition of being impossible, I have made the above list completely unattainable.  :hypocrite: