News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Any Computer Guru's??

Started by shoecrazy, January 23, 2008, 10:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoecrazy

I thought I would ask and see if any of you computer geniuses had any help for me here.  I have a Dell Inspirion 1100 laptop that is a few years old.  Last night I was watching a video, paused it to answer the phone and when I went back to it, the sound was not working at all.  I checked the obvious things such as the volume being turned up or the mute button being on, but it still is not working.  Does anybody have any suggestions on why it wouldn't be working and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Jennifer
~Jennifer~

Crazylilkid

A few things, it may not be your comp. at all, it could of been the vid. Another is if you comp has a volume button on the side, just push it up and down, sometimes that works.  Other than...you may want to go to control panel/device manager, then find your audio's name something to do with sound, right click and check for updates...it could be your driver is being dumb. Other than that I dunno. 

shoecrazy

It's not just the one video.  No sounds will work at all.
~Jennifer~

Crazylilkid

ok,
If you already tried those things I already mentioned. It could be because you have have some dust in there, you could try blowing in the speaker holes themselves or taping it on the side. 

Kyle

Quote from: shoecrazy on January 23, 2008, 10:51:21 PM
I thought I would ask and see if any of you computer geniuses had any help for me here.  I have a Dell Inspirion 1100 laptop that is a few years old.  Last night I was watching a video, paused it to answer the phone and when I went back to it, the sound was not working at all.  I checked the obvious things such as the volume being turned up or the mute button being on, but it still is not working.  Does anybody have any suggestions on why it wouldn't be working and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Jennifer

The most probable reason is that your sound card in your laptop just went for broke.  Sound cards in laptops are typically hard to replace, as the laptop make is different from the desktop makeup, from which you can just remove and replace easily.  Laptops are notorious for overheating also, and that backup of heat can and will in some cases damage other parts of the computer.  If your laptop is a few years old, I would look at getting a new one, because finding parts for laptops is hard also.  My dad repairs laptops every now and then for people at church and even simple little parts are running $70+.

If you right click your My Computer Icon, select Manage, and then go to Device Manager.  Once there, select your audio driver and expand it.  If it shows a red X or a yellow ! mark then your driver is bad and not your card.  If your driver is fine, then it is your card and then you have the choice of replacing the card, or getting a new laptop.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

shoecrazy

Hat - Thanks for your input.  I tried what you suggested and everything seems okay.  Unfortunately, I guess that means if I want some sound for my computer, then I am going to have to get it fixed or shell out some money for a new one...hmmmm....what to do...what to do.
~Jennifer~

MelodyB

Did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same problem now. I have not had sound of any kind for the last 5 days. It is driviing me INSANE!
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sister_Mom

Quote from: MelodyB on June 19, 2008, 02:09:15 PM
Did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same problem now. I have not had sound of any kind for the last 5 days. It is driviing me INSANE!

Talk to yourself, that will keep you from going INSANE.  :laughhard:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

MelodyB

Thanks. :sadbounce:

I really need my sound. Now I cant watch movies at work, I cant veiw stuff on YouTube, and having Itunes is a joke. :sadbounce: Not to mention I dont know when my friends IM me, or even when they come online. *sigh*

Sister_Mom

Quote from: MelodyB on June 19, 2008, 02:20:03 PM
Thanks. :sadbounce:

I really need my sound. Now I cant watch movies at work, I cant veiw stuff on YouTube, and having Itunes is a joke. :sadbounce: Not to mention I dont know when my friends IM me, or even when they come online. *sigh*

Kind of interesting to read this right after coming out of the thread about the Deaf...... think about it.
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

MelodyB

I know. I thought about that when I was typing it. That I am so spolied.

I DID think though, that the only DVDs and YouTube vids I can watch on the computer now is my ASL DVDs and all the other signing ones I have, and all the vids on Youtube. LOL

Maybe God is trying to tell me somthing. ;) 

shoecrazy

I never did figure anything out.  I just went and got a new laptop.  The one I had was several years old and running slow any way.

However, my uncle bought the old one from me and took it to someone he knew to clean it up, put memory in it, etc.  I believe while he was doing all of that he figured out what was wrong with the sound.  From what I gathered he said it was the external sound that was messed up.  I don't know what he did to fix, but hopefully that might give you a clue in what direction to go with getting it fixed.  My uncle lives in FL so I am not sure exactly what all transpired with it.  I don't get to talk to him very often, but maybe this will help.
~Jennifer~

MelodyB

I cant afford a new one. This one was a gift from my parents, and it is only a year and a half old. Plus, I dont want a new one, I like this one. *sigh*