News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Ask JD Cord

Started by Scott, November 23, 2007, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

So....

Como Esta Hermano?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

MelodyB

Ooooo a Spanish speaking thread! Yippie!

¿Así que tenemos nosotros que hablar apenas español en este hilo? ¿O podemos hablar nosotros inglés también?
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

jdcord

Quote from: Scott on November 23, 2007, 08:37:08 PM
So....

Como Esta Hermano?

Así, Así. 

.....  ¿Y usted?

Quote from: MelodyB on November 23, 2007, 11:20:54 PM
¿Así que tenemos nosotros que hablar apenas español en este hilo? ¿O podemos hablar nosotros inglés también?

Podemos hablar qualquier idioma ustedes quieren.

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

Sis

¿Cómo se dice qualquier  en inglés?

Babs

¿Cuál es su historia preferida de la Biblia y porqué?
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Sister_Mom

uno, dos, tres, quatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez  :grin:

DO YOU UNDERSTAND "HELLO" IN ENGLAIS?

(sorry, had to shout so he'd understand me better)  :thumbsup2:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

jdcord

Quote from: Sister_Mom on November 24, 2007, 02:07:31 AM
DO YOU UNDERSTAND "HELLO" IN ENGLAIS?

(sorry, had to shout so he'd understand me better)  :thumbsup2:

*ROFL*

Thanks.  That really helped.

*cough*

Quote from: Sis on November 24, 2007, 01:13:16 AM
¿Cómo se dice qualquier  en inglés?

....... Whatever.    :roll:           

..... no, seriously; "whatever" is the word you're looking for.  *LOL*

Quote from: Mz. Ethyl on November 24, 2007, 01:43:40 AM

What is my favorite "history" of the Bible??  .........  I have no idea.  *L*

If you want to know what my favorite "version" of the Bible is, the best way to ask that in Spanish would be to ask what my favorite "translation" is of the Bible.  ......... and that would be the KJV, if that was indeed what you meant to ask about.

:grin:

Sister_Mom

Not sure if she is in here or not right now, but I think she's asking "what is your favorite Bible story?". Only guessing because that's what she's been asking everyone else.  :grin:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Babs

Quote from: jdcord on November 24, 2007, 05:08:14 AM
Quote from: Mz. Ethyl on November 24, 2007, 01:43:40 AM

What is my favorite "history" of the Bible??  .........  I have no idea.  *L*

If you want to know what my favorite "version" of the Bible is, the best way to ask that in Spanish would be to ask what my favorite "translation" is of the Bible.  ......... and that would be the KJV, if that was indeed what you meant to ask about.

:grin:

lol actually i messed that all up lol, spanish is very rusty these days, what i meant to ask was whats your favorite bible story and why lol

My latest blog post.

MelodyB

Www.freetranslation.com

Sometimes some of the words get lost, but it is pretty accurate.

Babs

Quote from: MelodyB on November 24, 2007, 05:43:25 AM
Www.freetranslation.com

Sometimes some of the words get lost, but it is pretty accurate.

yeah i used the altavista one but it messed it all up lol

My latest blog post.

Sister_Mom

The free translations usually do word for word and tend to not be able to recognize certain words and don't consider the grammatical structure or dialects. Something we once had to learn the hard way when I worked at the newspaper.  :o

MelodyB

I smell a story... do tell!

Babs

i have a good translator at home, but havent re-installed it since i reformatted my computer. guess i should do that tomorrow lol

My latest blog post.

Sister_Mom

No, just that something had to be sent to the Miami Herald and we had to do an English version and a Spanish version and I tried to use one of those free translators. Fortunately, there was a guy in the office from that area whose father was Cuban and he was from the Miami area and was familiar with the different dialects and found some things in there that would have reflected on us in a very negative manner.  :o

So, back to JD.  :grin:

I take it from the way this thread started that you have some kind of hispanic heritage. Would you mind telling us a little (or a lot if you don't mind) about that?

rootbeer

Quien habla Español?  Yo puedo hablar un poco.  Yo estudié la lengua en la escuela.
The name of the Lord is a strong tower.

jdcord

Quote from: Sister_Mom on November 24, 2007, 06:31:01 AM
So, back to JD.  :grin:

I take it from the way this thread started that you have some kind of Hispanic heritage. Would you mind telling us a little (or a lot if you don't mind) about that?

Not a problem.  I am a 100%, full-blooded Puerto Rican.  I was born in Santurce, Puerto Rico, into a well-known legal and political family on my Father's side, and a well known musical celebrity family on my mother's side.  I lived there until I was 7 (summer of 1971), at which point my dad took an administrative, legal position in the Peace Corps for the Nixon/Ford administrations (he was the head of the Peace Corps' legal department for Latin America - Central and South America, along with the Caribbean), and we moved to Reston, Virginia (about 45 minutes west of D.C.).  Interestingly enough, my dad was and is a Democrat, yet Nixon still appointed him to the position.  ......... but I digress.

When Carter took office, my dad, being an appointee under 2 Republican administrations, was let go, at which point the Governor of Puerto Rico appointed him the head of his "Relations" office in D.C. (which functioned kind of as a Puerto Rican "embassy", if you will).  We lived in Reston until I was 17 (summer of 1981), at which point we moved back to P.R. because my parents both wanted to be back near their families again.

Anyway, as for Spanish, after we moved to the U.S. when I was 7, I quickly grew frustrated with not being able to communicate, so I nearly stopped speaking altogether (in any language) for about 3-4 months, and afterwards when I did finally start speaking again it was only in English (I refused to speak Spanish).  Thus, other than having an advantage in my High School Spanish classes, I pretty much forgot all my Spanish in the ten years we lived in Reston.  But once we moved back to P.R. when I was 17, I had to learn it all over again.  It took me about 6 months to be able to effectively communicate, and about another 6 months to feel close to the same comfort that I did with English.  But that was more of a "street" Spanish.  It took three years of pastoring a Spanish work here in Virginia for me to learn a more biblical and "formal" Spanish.

Anywho, that's the "411", since you asked.     ;)

SippinTea

Cool! It's amazing the things you learn in these Ask threads. :)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Sister_Mom

Very interesting JD. Thank you for sharing that with us.  :great:

Sis

Quote from: jdcord on November 25, 2007, 02:51:07 AM
and we moved to Reston, Virginia (about 45 minutes west of D.C.). 

???  Reston?  I've heard of that place!  :laughhard:

Tricia Lea

What do you like best about GodPlace?

titushome

Are you really related to Barney?
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Have you ever spend your summer vacation in a Turkish prison?
Move along, nothing to see here.

Scott

Who wrote the book of love?

Who put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp?

Who put the ram in the ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong?

Who put the bop in the bop-she-bop-she-bop?

Who put the dip in the dip-de-dip-de-dip ?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

jdcord

:wink4:
Quote from: Tricia Lea on November 28, 2007, 01:24:00 AM
What do you like best about GodPlace?

Arguing with Scott and Bishopnl.

*LOL*

..... no, not really.  j/k    :wink4:

I enjoy the same things that I've seen others post about in response to the same question:  namely,...

1)  that you guys force me to really dig deep and "flesh out" what I really  believe, and "why" I believe it.

2)  that you force me to search, study, and verify (with facts) what I believe, and the reasons (both conscious and subconscious) for "why" I believe those things.

3)  that you make me laugh ...... sometimes.

and finally, ...

4)  that you challenge me to consider facts, ideas, and arguments that I might never have considered or been exposed to (in the positive manner that such things are usually done here) otherwise.