News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

HIgh-speed internet won't work on my computer

Started by rootbeer, September 24, 2007, 03:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rootbeer

Last week I tried to install AT&T high-speed internet, and it would not work.  I talked to tech support and I was told to go to "run," type in cmd, then enter "ipconfig," and I got a line with these numbers: 169.254.101.152.
The tech support told me that was the problem and I needed those numbers changed before my computer would recognize the high-speed modem.  Does anybody know anything about that?  They wanted to charge me $100 for their tech support to fix the problem and I don't want to pay them $100.  I would pay $25 but not $100.

The name of the Lord is a strong tower.

Tricia Lea

I dont know anything about it but I just copied and pasted the numbers in yahoo search, try that there seems to be some info on those numbers, might be helpful

Soubriquet

depending on your version of windows, this will vary a little..

goto your Control Panel ... Network & Dialup Connections ...  Local Area Connection ...  Properties ... choose Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and hit Properties...   it should be set to "obtain automatically" for both the IP address and the DNS server sections.   hit Ok, Ok, Ok as many times as you need to close the various windows.  you should be good now.  make sure that the modem is turned on, then restart the computer to be safe and see if you can connect.

if your computer is plugged directly into your modem, then that should fix it.  you may also have to adjust settings in your router if you have one.  If you have DSL, then you'll need some password info and router-specific settings.  if it's an automatic connection (like cable, and maybe fiberoptic) then the router should be ok with default settings.

what internet service did you have prior to this AT&T connection?
the web guy (the one who's usually at fault when it doesn't work)

rootbeer

I had wmconnect, which was bought out by netscape, but I still have the wmconnect programming.

rootbeer

Soubriquet, tech support went through all of that and it didn't work.  It is set on "obtain automatically" but the computer still won't recognize the modem.

rootbeer

I got it fixed.  The yellow cable was plugged in to the wrong place; I did not know there was another place to put it.  Now let me see how fast it posts a message.

RandyWayne

Ok, I was going to post a bunch of "ipconfig  /<commands>" to try, but a wrong cable will screw you up too. LOL

Sounds like something that happened today in lab were my PC could not connect to the internet and me -and the instructor, were trying everything imaginable, until I noticed that I had the wrong subnet mask in (that is the 255.255.255.0 number you see right below your IP).  Talk about embarrassing!

Kyle

Subnets are the bane of my tech existence.  I always hate configuring them...mainly cause I stink at math.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.