News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

You FOND memories of Sir John.

Started by DoActs238, December 16, 2016, 04:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoActs238

Please list your fond memories of our dear friend Sir John Yates.

His Count down to Christmas.

Always looking for his wife.

Roscoe

The first time he came by to visit me, for some reason, he decided he would pull off of the driveway instead of parking behind me. What he didn't see was a 8 inch tall piece of goal post sat in concrete that I had been unable to pull up. He destroyed a tire. We went and got a new tire, and he told me that I was the only law enforcement officer he knew that had a StopStick  permanently mounted in my yard to ward off the media.  And from that day on, whenever he spoke to me, he asked if my stopstick was still there.
And the day that he, Mini, and I met up and destroyed a Golden Corral. During the meal, we'd began talking about everything under the sun, including skinning a possum. At some point the nosey couple next to us had became engrossed in our conversation. As John began to go into detail on the finer points of skinning opossum, the couple was finally grossed out. :laughhard:
As we left, for some reason, the conversation had changed yet again, and we were on music- John began to sing in a high falsetto, a Meghan Trainor song- complete with dance moves. We laughed to hard to video it, something I'll always regret. The sight and sound of that big ole boy singing loudly and poorly...and the moves..... :lol:
 SO gonna miss my brother.. I was really looking forward to another meet up..
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

I don't think anyone that was at the Oklahoma meetup will be able to forget john's "bustamove"
Think sumo wrestler doing some ballet twirl. Lol
Now THAT needed to be on video.

Lynx

Ah, so THAT'S why he used that bustamove emote.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

Heather

Addressing his christmas card every year to Sir John. The postmaster always gave me a funny look when I would drop them off.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

sunlight

His always being nice to everyone he met. Somehow seemingly unconditionally.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

DoActs238

He always could put a smile on your face with his post. Roscoe, I was rolling at your memory. 

Roscoe

Quote from: DoActs238 on December 23, 2016, 06:35:33 PMHe always could put a smile on your face with his post. Roscoe, I was rolling at your memory. 
He was one of a kind, that's for sure.. And I am richer for having known him, even as briefly as I did.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

mini

I had the honor of preaching at his home church earlier this year.  I spoke on this point:  God made the shoes of the children of Israel last through every terrain imaginable.  Whatever situation you are in, Mountian, ballet, desert, or well watered plain, God will get you through it.

As I closed (using my notes here),  I said:

QuoteI usually start listening to Christmas music the first moment it comes across the airwaves.

By the time Christmas rolls around, I so thourougly hate Christmas music, I don't want to hear "Jingle Bells", I don't want to hear "Up on the House top." I don't want to hear "Mary Did You Know." I don't want to hear "Silent night" or "Away in the manger."

Its quite a change in 2 months from where I listen to it nonstop to the time Christmas rolls around where I cant stand it.

But there are 2 exceptions to this rule.  From the first moment I hear the first note of these songs, I don't want to listen to them.

One, I wont tell you.

But the other, is "Christmas Shoes."  Momma has to have a brand new pair of shoes cause its her last Christmas.

The "one, I won't tell you" line is all John heard.

He made a beeline to me after church, then started picking at me.  And when I refused to tell, he wormed it out of my son.  And he started sending me links to that song.  5 days before he passed, he sent me yet another link to it.

I won't be surprised one bit if he has a angel band waiting just to play that dreaded song the moment I step in heaven.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller