News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

GP Ain't dead yet.. Prove it in sharing 502

Started by taco_harvell, January 17, 2016, 06:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

sarba

I know!  Its a bit earlier than I would like but it is what it is...lol   

MelodyB

I just read on FB today that on Thursday it will be THIRTY years since the Challenger blew up. WHOA.

I was 5. We were standing in the driveway in south Florida and watched it blow in the actual SKY. Not on TV. I remember it so plainly, but yet it was thirty years ago? How is that possible?

We are old. Lol
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Scott

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Roscoe

Hmph. Made it through a perfectly annoying day. The bad Southern Pecan coffee was just the beginning. :mad:
Yet, I persevered and managed to get through it. Then, I went by the barber shop and got all three hairs cut...came home, mounted the gas heater in the shop and ran the propane line, only to discover that I did not have the connectors I need. I'll have to stop and get them Friday. I've got to get heat in the shop so I can get Rusty fixed. It's been nearly a month since I could drive him and that's for the birds.:pound:
Other than that, and cooking dinner for Lou, I've done nothing constructive.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Hmmm... I might possibly have spent about $125 at a mennonite bakery/health food store. But I got lots of stuff I need! Got a few blocks of colby for making grilled cheese at church tomorrow night. (That wasn't the expensive part.) Also stocked up on sesame sticks, mostly because I like sesame sticks. (Still not the expensive part.) And I got a couple pounds of smoked turkey. (Not terribly expensive.)

And I got (THIS is the expensive part) five bags of raw brazil nuts. Unroasted, no salt. Just plain, un-fooled-with brazil nuts. Love em!
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

In related news, tomorrow night my church is having a meet-and-eat. On the last Wednesday night of the month we forgo our regular church service and instead have supper, after which the pastor does a bible study.

This month they said the menu is "soup and grilled cheese." So I took the "grilled cheese" idea and ran with it. Sliced three loaves of my sourdough bread into really thin slices. Got a few blocks of colby cheese and a roll of real butter from the mennonite store. Tomorrow I'm going to fire up a couple of griddles and make cheese sandwiches until we run out of bread, cheese or butter.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Backseat Radio

Quote from: Lynx on January 27, 2016, 02:43:49 AMThis month they said the menu is "soup and grilled cheese." So I took the "grilled cheese" idea and ran with it. Sliced three loaves of my sourdough bread into really thin slices. Got a few blocks of colby cheese and a roll of real butter from the mennonite store. Tomorrow I'm going to fire up a couple of griddles and make cheese sandwiches until we run out of bread, cheese or butter.

sounds good  :fork:

The Purple Fuzzy

MelodyB

I use mayonnaise instead of butter or margarine on my grilled cheese. Spread it on the outside pieces of bread very very thinly, it browns up really nice and crispy, and you can't taste the difference. It spreads easier as well.

We have a meet and eat once a month on for our midweek service. We call it "loaves and fishes". Pastor started it last year and it's gone great. It's free, (we have a donation/tip jar set out) and we have a brown bag dinner. It's usually some sort of sandwich, a bag of chips, and a cookie. Go thru the line, grab a bag and a canned drink and spend 45 minutes eating and fellowshipping. Then pastor gets up and talks for about 10 minutes, a devotion type mini sermon, and then we leave. Or stay and mingle.

It's great for getting to know the new people and guests. Pastor encourages us to sit with people we don't know well or don't normally sit with or talk to much. I've got to know many newish people this was. I love it!

2nd Thursday of every month if anyone wants to stop by for a sandwich and fellowship.

MelodyB

PLUS, as an added thing...people are more likely to come to church if you are not having actual church. They come to the loaves and fishes and see that we are just regular normal (yeah right!) people that are not scary. Then when they meet a few people in a relaxed environment, it's easier to get them to come back another time for service! And it works!

Our cleaning lady came to our last one, and then came to church the following Sunday! She says she loves it and is going to come back again.

Whatever works!

Newsman

Newsman

Did anyone miss me? No? Sigh...

From the avatar it looks like Lady Jenn is as lovely as ever.

I've seen Our own Storm Trooper and Jeremy a few months ago.... need to do that again. I hear Meghan Trainor can sing....

John  :waving:

Newsman

Lynx

We're not spreading butter on the bread, we melt it on the griddle. Bread and cheese sandwich, put it on the buttered griddle to fry.

Mayo just tastes wrong when you heat it up for some reason. Well, to me it does. Maybe it's the vegetable oil breaking down or something, I dunno, but heated mayo is weird.
"Do you sing at church?"

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Newsman on January 27, 2016, 12:46:27 PMDid anyone miss me? No? Sigh...

From the avatar it looks like Lady Jenn is as lovely as ever.

John  :waving:

Of course we miss you!! And thank you kind sir!
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

sunlight

Now I want a grilled cheese... And beans with ham. What a combo! Don't read gp when you are hungry huh?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

SippinTea

I need a babysitter for an hour this afternoon. Any takers? :D

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Roscoe

Quote from: SippinTea on January 27, 2016, 09:20:08 PMI need a babysitter for an hour this afternoon. Any takers? :D

:freaky2:  *locates my Kenny Hinson Cd and my Randy Travis Gospel album*
Send 'em on! Good taste awaits them... :freaky2:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: SippinTea on January 27, 2016, 09:20:08 PMI need a babysitter for an hour this afternoon. Any takers? :D

Bring them over, we'll put them to work. ;)

Heather

3 classes. Brandon took me to Chikfila for lunch. 1 class. Free birthday frappe from Starbucks. 5 hours of Keva Juice. Take out Japanese. Now procrastinating reading some homework.

No illness, deaths, blown up cars, etc.

I'd call it a successful birthday for me.

Tomorrow: Work study. 1 class. Then out for dinner with my mom for our birthdays.  :cool:
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Lynx

Well tonight was interesting.

Tuesday's text message reminder said "soup and sandwiches" but I could have sworn I heard "soup and grilled cheese" from the pulpit last Sunday. Whatever, grilled cheese is still sandwiches. So I got to church at 6pm and fired up to melt a lot of cheese on the griddle.

Apparently I'm not the only one who heard "grilled cheese." When everything everyone brought was spread out there were four mountains of cheese sandwiches. It did my heart good to see them though, because I was thinking "Oh boy, leftovers!" But I didn't take home nearly as much as I expected to take home when I saw those mountains. Out of three loaves of bread and four blocks of cheese I took home about 1/3 of a loaf worth of cheese sandwiches.

Pastor's wife said she saw her son eating three of them...
"Do you sing at church?"

MelodyB

Howdy.

So I go to WM today and I'm going down the picture frame isle on my way to look at something else and I glance over at some frames and I am taken down memory lane...there were two frames, side by side with pictures of a beautiful GREEN DOOR.

*sniff*

I thought of Ruby and Chel and the Domerz and looking for doors and golf carts and pictures of doors and threads and GP and all kinds of wonderfulness!

It was unprecedentedly EPIC!

Of course I took a picture of it.

MelodyB