News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Pentecostal Herald

Started by jfrog, February 13, 2010, 07:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrog

The following excerpts are from the Pentecostal Herald 1945.

On Page 4 "Our Paper The Pentecostal Herald"

"This the first issue of  The Pentecostal
Herald, which  is  the  official  publication
of  the United  Pentecostal Church
, is the
direct  result  of  the  merger  of  the  two
former papers, The Pentecostal Outlook
and  The  Apostolic  Herald.  When  the
two  former  organizations,  namely,  The
Pentecostal  Assemb1:es  of  Jesus  Christ,
Inc.,  and  The  Pentecostal  Church,  Inc.,
merged  into one united organization,  the
two  papers  also were  merged  into  one.
This  we  acknowledge  with  joy  and
great satisfaction, and look forward to a
greater  paper  for  the  glory  of  God  and
the progress  of  truth.

The two former conferences  agreed  to
make  this  paper  open  for  articles  per-
tain:ng  to truths that may or may not be
the  opinion  of  all  brethren,  so  long  as
these  articles  do  not  conflict  with  the
Fundamentals  of  Faith  of  the  United
Pentecostal  Church.  However,  the  Edi-
tor  is  to  be  governed  by  the  spirit  of
the  article,  and  whenever  the  spirit  of
controversy  is  noticed  in  the  article  he
is  to  act  accordingly,  and  refer  such
articles  to  the Board  of  Publication.

Articles  on  such  subjects  as  "The
New  Birth,"  will  be  accepted,  whether
they teach that the new birth  takes place
before  baptism  in  water  and  Spirit,  or
that  the  new  birth  consists  of  baptism
of  water  and  Spirit.
This  is  indeed  the
proper  attitude  toward  the  most  vital
subject,  as  we  are  all  seeking  after
truth,  and  are  confident  that  God  will
lead  us  into  all  truth,  by  His  Spirit. ...""

On Page 14 we find something just as amazing.  There is an advertisement for a JESUS SAVES PIN (aka jewelry).  The picture is included in the article.

"JESUS SAVES PIN
Mounted  on  beautiful  white  Mother  of
Pearl!  An  ideal  gift  for  Christmas,  or
prize  for  Sunday  School.
Price  . .  . . . . . .  . .  . .  .  . .  $1.50
(Tax  included)"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone explain these things?

The link to download the pdf is here.  PDF of Pentecostal Herald 1945

titushome

Quote from: jfrog on February 13, 2010, 07:54:44 PM
Articles  on  such  subjects  as  "The New  Birth,"  will  be  accepted,  whether they teach that the new birth  takes place before  baptism  in  water  and  Spirit,  or that  the  new  birth  consists  of  baptism of  water  and  Spirit. This  is  indeed  the proper  attitude  toward  the  most  vital subject,  as  we  are  all  seeking  after truth,  and  are  confident  that  God will  lead  us  into  all  truth,  by  His  Spirit. ...""

It was a good attitude then, and it's a good attitude now.  Hurrah for the Herald!
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

SippinTea

Quote from: titushome on February 13, 2010, 08:48:57 PM
It was a good attitude then, and it's a good attitude now.  Hurrah for the Herald!

Yeah! That! *smile*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

jfrog

Quote from: titushome on February 13, 2010, 08:48:57 PM

It was a good attitude then, and it's a good attitude now.  Hurrah for the Herald!

Such a good attitude now that they allow advertisements for jewelry in it today?  Such a good attitude now that they allow articles that the new birth and thus salvation happens at repentance in it today?

bishopnl

QuoteSuch a good attitude now that they allow advertisements for jewelry in it today?  Such a good attitude now that they allow articles that the new birth and thus salvation happens at repentance in it today?

In regards to the jewelry, many apostolics make allowance for items like cuff links, broaches, watches, etc.  Not too mention that at the time of the merger, there were some churches in the UPCI that did not teach the current positions on holiness standards that are now (mostly) universally recognized by the organization.

In regards to the position on the New Birth, at the time of the merger the Pentecostal Church Inc. (PCI) was the smaller group, and many of their membership believed that salvation occurred at repentance.  They preached that believers should go on to be baptized and receive the Spirit, but the Fundamental Doctrine states something to the effect that neither side, the PCI or the PAJC would "contend for differing views to the disunity of the body."  And in fact, the first General Superintendent of the UPC, Howard Goss, held this view regarding salvation occurring at repentance.

Of course, most of the PCI element has been either swallowed up or left, so any such articles that posit that salvation occurs at repentance probably would not be included in the Herald today.

As Titus says though, it was a good attitude both then and now.  I believe the spirit of the merger was good, and I can't help but be saddened over the subsequent division that has been brought about over the last 60 years.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

SippinTea

Quote from: bishopnl on February 15, 2010, 04:05:50 PM
In regards to the position on the New Birth, at the time of the merger the Pentecostal Church Inc. (PCI) was the smaller group, and many of their membership believed that salvation occurred at repentance.  They preached that believers should go on to be baptized and receive the Spirit, but the Fundamental Doctrine states something to the effect that neither side, the PCI or the PAJC would "contend for differing views to the disunity of the body."  And in fact, the first General Superintendent of the UPC, Howard Goss, held this view regarding salvation occurring at repentance.

...and somewhere along the way that idea seems to have (mostly) been lost. I find it incredibly sad that so much feuding has been done over issues that were so specifically addressed clear back at the merger. It does make one wonder why some people chose to join the UPC - unless, perhaps, they thought they could change any views differing from their own... and thought they could change the core beliefs of the UPC as a whole.

Instead of being able to discuss topics like rational human beings, and keeping friendships and unity even when viewpoints differ, we too often start the "he's not my brother in Christ because he doesn't agree with me" thing.

As you said, Bishop, it makes me sad. Very sad.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Instead of being able to discuss topics like rational human beings, and keeping friendships and unity even when viewpoints differ, we too often start the "he's not my brother in Christ because he doesn't agree with me" thing.

Just caught the tale end of this thread, I'll go back and read it all later, but just wanted to agree with Ruby on this one!  :great:

It is sad that people claiming to be filled with the Holy Ghost can be so quick to cut one another off for such small things. Been on the receiving end of that a few times... and now I generally only tell people my opinion when I think they really want to hear it.

Fav. Quote : "Better to be thought a fool, and say nothing, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt!"

Sometimes I do not always follow that, but am learning to more and more...

Feed The Bachelors 2010

bishopnl

QuoteIt does make one wonder why some people chose to join the UPC - unless, perhaps, they thought they could change any views differing from their own... and thought they could change the core beliefs of the UPC as a whole.

If so, that's a violation of the spirit of the merger.  Some now say that there was an implicit understanding at the time of the merger that eventually the organization would become "all one thing or the other."  I honestly don't see that....if such an understanding existed, the smaller group would have to know they would be the ones forced out or forced to change their beliefs.  If such were the case, why would they join in the first place?

QuoteInstead of being able to discuss topics like rational human beings, and keeping friendships and unity even when viewpoints differ, we too often start the "he's not my brother in Christ because he doesn't agree with me" thing.

Yup.  We focus on the differences rather than the similarities.  Which may be why Oneness Pentecostalism continues to see fractures and people disassociating from one another over one thing or the other.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

SippinTea

Quote from: bishopnl on February 16, 2010, 06:45:24 PM
If so, that's a violation of the spirit of the merger.  Some now say that there was an implicit understanding at the time of the merger that eventually the organization would become "all one thing or the other."  I honestly don't see that....if such an understanding existed, the smaller group would have to know they would be the ones forced out or forced to change their beliefs.  If such were the case, why would they join in the first place?

Exactly. That's why I don't get it. And I really don't believe there was any such "understanding" either - not only for the reason you stated (which seems like the obvious answer), but also because of the stories handed down to me by both sides of my family. That's a lot of years of stories when you figure I'm 5th generation apostolic. (And I'm only saying that to explain my point, not because I'm attempting to boost my ego. *lol*)

Quote from: bishopnl on February 16, 2010, 06:45:24 PM
Yup.  We focus on the differences rather than the similarities.  Which may be why Oneness Pentecostalism continues to see fractures and people disassociating from one another over one thing or the other.

Well said. And I think your conclusion is right on target.

:beret:

nwlife

I remember when I first was starting looking into theology, and the history of the oneness movement.  That so much was ignored, pushed aside, or tried to be  hushed away.  I can even remember that knowledge of other oneness groups were hushed away.  Imagine my surprize to find that the ALJC and other groups still existed.

Many questions i had were ignored at different times by people (not by all, but still many).  so I turned to books, internet to hunt down the info i was looking for. and thus started down the path that has ended up with  me arriving where I am today.  Methodist with an apostolic background.

Interresting journey it has been.  I still wonder if things had went differently in the UPC and oneness history, how much different my own path would have ended.  But that is just my wonderings.
Only through faith in the Grace of God through Jesus Christ am I saved. No other means and no other actions changes the predestination of my soul.

UPDATE:  I finally did find my wife.  Just waiting now to bring her to the USA!

Sis

This has been on my mind lately, and I've been wondering if it applies to what's been going on in the organization lately.

24Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

25It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,

26Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

27We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.

28For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

29That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.