News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

You know you are from Florida if....

Started by MelodyB, May 27, 2008, 10:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelodyB

***Thanks 'Lani ;)

You are from Florida if.... 

-Socks are only for bowling
-You never use an umbrella because you know the rain will be over in five minutes
-A good parking place has nothing to do with distance from the store, but everything to do with shade
-Your winter coat is made of denim and you have only worn it twice
-You can tell the difference between fire ant bites and mosquito bites.

-You're younger than thirty but some of your friends are over 65
-Anything under 70 is chilly
-You could swim before you could read
-You have to drive north to get to The South
-You know that no other grocery store can compare to Winn Dixie
- Every other house in your neighborhood had blue roofs in 2004-2005
-You only start to get worried if Jim Cantori shows up on your beach.

-You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for
- You dread love bug season
-You are on a first name basis with the Hurricane list. They aren't Hurricane Charley, Hurricane Frances...but Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne
-You know what a snowbird is and when they'll leave.

-You think a six-foot alligator is actually pretty average
-You were twelve before you ever saw snow, or you still haven't
-'Down South' means Key West
-You think New York drivers licenses should only be valid in New York.

-Flip-flops are everyday wear
-Shoes are for business meetings and church,
-But you HAVE worn flip flops to church before
-Sweet tea can be served at any meal.

-An alligator once walked through your neighborhood
-You smirk when a game show's 'Grand Prize' is a trip or cruise to Florida
-You measure distance in minutes.

-You have a drawer full of bathing suits, and one sweatshirt
-You get annoyed at the tourists who feed seagulls
-A mountain is any hill 100 feet above sea level
-You think everyone from a bigger city has a northern accent
-You know the four seasons really are:hurricane season, love bug season, tourist season and summer
-It's not soda, cola, or pop, it's coke, regardless of brand or flavor, 'What kinda coke you want?'
-Anything under 95 is just warm.

-You've hosted a hurricane party
-You go to a theme park for an afternoon, and know when to get on the best rides.

-You understand the futility of exterminating cockroaches.

-You can pronounce Okeechobee, Kissimmee, Ichnatucknee and Wewahitchika
-You understand why it's better to have a friend with a boat, than owning a boat yourself
-Bumper stickers on the pickup in front of you include: various fish, NRA, NASCAR, Go Gators, and a confederate flag
-You were 5 before you realized they made houses without pools
-You were 25 when you first met someone who couldn't swim
-You've worn shorts and used the A/C on Christmas
-You recognize Miami-Dade as 'Northern Cuba'
-You not only Re-Post this, but you understand it.. :) 
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Mrs. Yosemite

HA!! haha Every bit of that is so true!!!  :laughat:

Yeah when you are floating on your floatie mat and you see a crab floating by on a reed and he waves at ya. lol I used to live at Laguna Beach near Panama. I loved it!!!

MelodyB

Wow...that is pretty close. Why did you move?

Melody

When you know innumerable ways to eat okra?

Mrs. Yosemite

Quote from: MelodyB on May 28, 2008, 08:08:52 PM
Wow...that is pretty close. Why did you move?

I let my folks talk me into moving back up here.  Of course now, if I hadnt moved up here, I would have never met my husband. But since I have been up here, I havent had the opportunity to go back to the beach. Not in Panama City. I miss it though. I remember riding the sea screamer and going down to St. Andrews. Boy that was fun!!! lol

MelodyB

Haha!! You went to Miracle strip then!! They closed that one down... :( But you can still go out to St Andrews. (I am assuming you mean the park...)

Did you know that Moms "Before she found truth church" is in St Andrews?

Quote from: MellowYellow on May 28, 2008, 09:04:47 PM
When you know innumerable ways to eat okra?

:D :D

You know what? I love you. :D

You are a mess.

Mrs. Yosemite

yeah I knew they took the miracle strip down, but it was still up and going back in my hay day. lol We used to ride up and down front beach with the top down. Use to holla at all the guys. lol

I think if my husband and I were to get a chance to go back down there, we would have alot of fun. lol I could show him all the neat places I used to hang out, (except for the clubs).

MelodyB

Ashlee

Some of those could also work for Louisiana.  However, it's pretty funny. 

sunlight

yeah... no kidding. Same for Texas.

the one i hate the most is the bugs... doesn't seem to matter how hard you try to get rid of them.
Quote-You understand the futility of exterminating cockroaches.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Mrs. Yosemite

Quote from: MelodyB on May 29, 2008, 04:07:58 AM
And you could call me. :)

Yeah and we could go out to eat somewhere and see if we can find anything that doesnt have slaw on it. hahaha

MelodyB

Nothing has slaw on it here...but I know a GREAT seafood place in Wewa that has some awesome slaw...Bro Dad liked it!

Mrs. Yosemite

OR we could take pictures of our food or our pumkin cake and send it to Bro. Dad & Sis. Mom.  :laughhard:

MelodyB

Bro Dad and Sis Mom are getting pumpkin cake...for breakfast on Saturday morning... so NA NA NA!! :girltongue:

:hypocrite:

Mrs. Yosemite

Hey I wish we could all meet someplace at the same time. Boy wouldnt that be fun!!!  I get allen to make ya'll one of his twinkie delight cakes. lol It's really good for a guy making a cake that doesnt require cooking. lol

MelodyB

Mrs. Yosemite

unfortunately he is in little rock ark. right now coming back from Dallas. We are too broke to go anywhere right now, lol. But its fun thinking about it! ;)

MelodyB

Mrs. Yosemite

You know that anything under a Category 3 just isn't worth waking up for

:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

Mrs. Yosemite

I was down there in Panama City when hurricane opal came. I think it spun off a bunch of tornadoes. That kinda skeered me a little bit!!! I got hit in the teeth with a rock flying in the wind and cracked my front tooth. I remember that.

sunlight

Quote from: Mrs. Yosemite on May 29, 2008, 05:49:29 AM
unfortunately he is in little rock ark. right now coming back from Dallas. We are too broke to go anywhere right now, lol. But its fun thinking about it! ;)

He drove right by my house prolly! And we had Bar-B-Que! lol! rats! if you guys come back that way sometime yall should stop! :hyper:
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

MelodyB

I was here for Opal...that was my first real hurriciane that I remember. I was scared. We evacuated and went to Tallahassee, and when we got back, we couldnt get back into our neighborhood, there were trees down all over the roads. But our house was spared. We had nothing wrong but leaves and branches in our yard. I was like 12 or 13 I think.

Ashlee

Mrs. Yosemite

yeah that was my first hurricane too. It still got bad up around Tallahassee too didnt it? I know some people up in Troy Alabama that got their house blew away that night. Of course my drunk stupid tail was down there on that big pier.

I guess about 80 people down there on the end where I was;  drinking, cutting up and smoking stuff.  I was out on the very end of the pier and the waves coming in were almost to the top. I started hearing those poles underneath popping.

Just a sudden thing inside me said run.

I took off and by the time I got half way down toward the bathrooms, everybody started running and I was trying not to get ran over. Scared me to death! The end of the pier fell in.  I can testify that the Lord had his hand on me even when I was out there acting a like a idiot.

( Teacher, your frog is absolutely hillarious!!!)