News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Firewalls

Started by MsJennJenn, February 06, 2008, 05:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsJennJenn

Hey you techie gurus

Can you help me get around the firewall at work to make my itunes connect to the itunes store? I used to could do it, now it wont let me again.

Any takers?
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

mini

Do you have a onsite IT guy?  Take a plate of home baked treats to him a few times, and then tell him what you want.  He might allow it on your computer only.  If he does allow it, make sure to continue the treats for a few weeks following.

:grin:
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Chseeads

:sing: .....a wall of fire about me, I've nothing now to fear...

Backseat Radio

Quote from: Chseeads on February 06, 2008, 05:57:37 PM
:sing: .....a wall of fire about me, I've nothing now to fear...

got me singing that now

Tsalagi

QuoteDo you have a onsite IT guy?  Take a plate of home baked treats to him a few times, and then tell him what you want.  He might allow it on your computer only.  If he does allow it, make sure to continue the treats for a few weeks following.

Very nice, we'll make a L337 H@x0r out of youse yet, minnie!

Alas, Ms. JennJenn - if you were able to before and not now, he may have noticed the open port and closed it on purpose.  IT folks are mighty picky about the software apps they allow in the internal network.

MsJennJenn

No we dont have a certain guy. It's a corporation lol, So we have an IT department, in RI! lol

My boss said one of the other DM's told her he got around his fire wall for itunes.
I was just wondering if any of you guys could help! lol
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Kyle

Hey JJ,

To get your Itunes working, you need to have the following ports open:

Port 3689 TCP
Port 5353 UDP

As to how you do it, I'm not telling you :)
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

RandyWayne

You can also set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between work and your home computer as a last resort....  But this is NOT recommended as I got in a whole lotta trouble at work a few years for doing just that.

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Hat on February 07, 2008, 06:14:12 AM
Hey JJ,

To get your Itunes working, you need to have the following ports open:

Port 3689 TCP
Port 5353 UDP

As to how you do it, I'm not telling you :)

Kyyyleee!!! lol Please?
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Tsalagi

QuoteMy boss said one of the other DM's told her he got around his fire wall for itunes.

Around HIS [OS] firewall or THE [hardware] firewall?

Besides, the Hat told you which ports, but even if he told you specifically HOW to do it, there's still the matter of the admin uname/pword on the hardware firewall.

A sneaky way around might be to use a wireless connection.  Many companies that have wireless capabilities will put a wireless router(s) out in a perimeter network, so that visitors/guests can have access to the 'net without having access to the gizzards of the network.

MsJennJenn

I do have wireless.

But I sitll have to be connected to our VPN Network to use my email.

One of the other DM's told me to go into
Open internet explorer

-          tools

-         internet options

-          connections tab

-          LAN settings

o        Uncheck "automatically detect settings"

o        Uncheck "use a proxy server for your LAN"

ANd that works, ONLY if I'm not connected to my VPN network. Which is strange. So like I can either access itunes, or my email lol, but not both! But I used to could! Arg!

If I disconnect my VPN network, I can access the net, itunes, all that, but not my Outlook/CVS Email

-Alexander Den Heijer-

Kyle

Quote from: MsJennJenn on February 07, 2008, 05:16:32 PM
I do have wireless.

But I sitll have to be connected to our VPN Network to use my email.

One of the other DM's told me to go into
Open internet explorer

-          tools

-         internet options

-          connections tab

-          LAN settings

o        Uncheck "automatically detect settings"

o        Uncheck "use a proxy server for your LAN"

ANd that works, ONLY if I'm not connected to my VPN network. Which is strange. So like I can either access itunes, or my email lol, but not both! But I used to could! Arg!

If I disconnect my VPN network, I can access the net, itunes, all that, but not my Outlook/CVS Email

You know why that works if you uncheck your "Detect Settings" and your "Proxy Server" JJ?  It works because it basically throws you off their network and therefore off the firewall.  However, you seemed to have figured it out when you say that it works only when your not connected to your VPN and vice-versa.

To me, it sounds like either your boss is in good with an admin, or he's just pulling your leg hoping you try something that gets you knocked down a few pegs.  I wouldn't bother with it JJ.

Tsalagi

QuoteIt works because it basically throws you off their network and therefore off the firewall

:clap2:

MsJennJenn

No my boss has nothing to do with it lol. She is the one who wants me to find out how to get itunes to connect to the store in the first place.

we are on a corporate VPN network. its huge. lol

-Alexander Den Heijer-

Kyle

If's a corporate VPN, then give up JJ.  VPN's are kept well monitored these days now that their security holes are starting to be fixed.