News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

School

Started by Sis, September 02, 2009, 07:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sis

This was posted by my pastor's wife on Facebook.  OMW, this is just like the stuff going on in the Left Behind series I'm reading.  And that was written around ten years ago.

For parents with public school students: Foxnews.com ...home page "Outrage Over Pro-President Lessons". I called my children's school and was told that as a whole the school is not participating, but that it is up to the teacher'...s whether or not they participate in their class. So check with your teachers if this is something you don't agree with it! Thanks for sharing the info Anna-Leigh! :)

Chérie

I see both sides of this issue. I can understand why some would think that it wreaks of indoctrination of children not unfamiliar to countries Iran, North Korea, and Hitler's Germany. More importantly, is this Obama trying to wheedle his way to the parents using this country's children? Perhaps. It would certainly seem like he is trying to garner up political support for his failing health program.

On the other hand, is a speech about staying in school and doing your best really that bad? Don't we want to improve education in our country? Is it wrong to let children, especially minorities have a good male role model? I read in the newspaper this morning a quote that made me laugh from an area educator - “For such a record-breaking thing like this, I don’t see any problem with showing it directly to kids. But Republicans seem bent on opposing whatever Obama wants. If Obama said, ‘I’m going to call Jesus in,’ they’d say ‘No!’”

I honestly don't see how this is any different than schools bringing in special speakers promoting conservative programs such as D.A.R.E and Abstinence. Or any different than allowing children to participate in a ballot mock election every 4 years.

Still I think this would have gone over much better if Obama waited until the 6 o'clock news to address the children with their parents.

religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

World Traveler

We are going to raise an army of Hitler... Obama Youth!
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Sis

I think it was Tricia that said, why don't they show it in the evening so the families can see it together? 

Melody

Cherie, having yet to watch the speech I cannot say what it will by it self affect.

However, I do believe that it is a strategic event to gain influence over youth, especially the ones that will be eligible to vote by the next presidency.  In a day where teen rebellion is not only expected but given place, it is a pivotal moment to inspire them into a movement.  Some parents can see through Obama's smooth countenance, whereas kids lack experience and wisdom and instead tend to think he's cool.  

How much more inspiring for kids to "think" they are rebelling against thier parents ideals for the GOOD of mankind?  Teens and young adults are passionate and very influential.  The generations coming up after them will already be following suit.  Adults may work the jobs and make the money but they do not have the energy and often boldness that youth do.  Rebellion is as witchcraft in part because it is very seductive, like a spell.  It "reasons" wrongs into rights.

I don't think this speech will turn the world upside down, I think it will just create construction for a fork in the road, another deepening of the wedge between conservatives and liberals or maybe better said, between moral people and non-moral.  Non-moral folks always focus on the immediate affect which means nothing, they are more gullible because they have no sure right/wrong.

Maturity sifts through facts and can discern people's character.  Maturity is exactly what youth do not have.  Pour a bunch of so called facts into them and build their confidence, and they are sold.

Obama is not concerned with families, otherwise he wouldn't support abortion, and parents being gone from home as much as possible with more jobs and education.  He wouldn't be trying to fill people's lives with yet more commitments when they are already stretched so thin.   He would want the parents to see this speech too! with their kids to discuss and encourage support.  But here he is just showing it to kids... kids that, without their parental guidance, are vulnerable.  And it will all sound wonderful, but who will discern the intentions?  Who will see down the road?  Not kids.  And when they hear adults disagreeing, and they are rebellious already, trying to find themselves and passioned purpose in life, who will they look to?

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

How is this any different than when President George H. W. Bush addressed school children across the country on 1 October 1991?  
Quote from: George H. W. Bush, 1 October 1991Thank you, Ms. Mostoller, and thanks for allowing me to visit your classroom to talk to you and all these students, and millions more in classrooms all across the country.
Source

Or when President Ronald Reagan addressed School children on 14 November 1988?
Quote from: Ronald Reagan, 14 November 1988You know, this is a real treat for me -- having you here and to have, in a little while, the chance to answer some of your questions. Let me also offer a special hello to those of you who are watching on C-SPAN and -- or the Instructional Television Network. Thank you for inviting us into your home or your school today.
Source

Is it because of the political party of this president that makes it wrong this time around?
Move along, nothing to see here.

Sis

Chérie

Good point MK. It may have just been one classroom setting, but I also don't remember hearing any parents complain about where G.Dub was on 9/11.

religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan