News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ask Mr Minnesota

Started by Sis, March 29, 2008, 04:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SippinTea

*protest* But.... llamas are so... interesting! And they spit nasty, horrible green stuff at people they don't like! I mean, just think how convenient that could be when you have unwanted family members drop in for a visit.... Like your Oregon daughter, for example. ;)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

mini

Quote from: five-oh on October 19, 2010, 08:42:27 PM
Oh, Lord. With all the lurking I did before joining, I missed one of the best threads in the place. I've sat here and read every page of this one, Mr. Minnesota in oklahoma. Good advice given and then you made me laugh until I cried with the motorcycle vs squirrel story- I ride too, or did until wifee wanted a CTS, the harley got traded in on it. Awesome.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Hope I didn't say anything that incriminated me someone else....

Quote from: SippinTea on October 19, 2010, 08:58:00 PM
Quote from: minnesota68 on October 19, 2010, 03:55:38 PM
They feel light headed and woozy. 

Don't believe me?  Ask Wooby about being woozy after walking around under a moon lit starry sky.  *cough*

I know nothing. Nothing, I tell you!

*cough*

Riiiiiighhhhhttt.......

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on October 19, 2010, 09:00:17 PM
:o  NO MORE ANIMALS!  Do you hear me, Chel?  Just say no, to the llama.

Do it chel, do it!

Quote from: SippinTea on October 19, 2010, 09:10:44 PM
*protest* But.... llamas are so... interesting! And they spit nasty, horrible green stuff at people they don't like! I mean, just think how convenient that could be when you have unwanted family members drop in for a visit.... Like your Oregon daughter, for example. ;)

:beret:

Ohhhhh!   Good point.  Next time my sister comes for a visit, sic' the llama on her!  MUHAHAHAHAHAHA
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

sunlight

Quote from: minnesota68 on October 19, 2010, 09:48:55 PM
Quote from: five-oh on October 19, 2010, 08:42:27 PM
Oh, Lord. With all the lurking I did before joining, I missed one of the best threads in the place. I've sat here and read every page of this one, Mr. Minnesota in oklahoma. Good advice given and then you made me laugh until I cried with the motorcycle vs squirrel story- I ride too, or did until wifee wanted a CTS, the harley got traded in on it. Awesome.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Hope I didn't say anything that incriminated me someone else....

Haha! This is one of my favorite threads too!
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

mini

I am bored and a little more slow witted than normal.  Any one need some sage advice?
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

The Purple Fuzzy

What should I get my 22 year old son for Christmas that is not expensive?

mini

Really depends on yer daffyniton of 'spensive....personally, I recommend a llama.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: minnesota68 on December 16, 2010, 03:29:14 PM
Really depends on yer daffyniton of 'spensive....personally, I recommend a llama.

Yay! Llama's are AWESOME!

Feed The Bachelors 2010

sunlight

When do you listen, and when do you let it go in one ear and out the other?

when is it better to defend, and when is it better to leave it be, and let them figure it out for themselves?

When is it not right to be right?

mini

Quote from: sunlight on December 21, 2010, 11:22:14 PM
When do you listen, and when do you let it go in one ear and out the other?

First, I'm proably not the best listener in the world.  Ok, Im not even close to being the best listener.  Especially if I have heard the same story over, and over, and over, and over...I zone out.  LOL

Case in point, we have a project manager that I have had to deal with several times in the past.  The guy is a complete and utter idiot.  God gave rocks more brains than he has.  Yesterday, he was talking, and I absolutely zoned him out.  Probably shouldn't have done that, but he always says hes gonna do stuff, and never does stuff, and when he gets in trouble for not doing the stuff he said he was gonna do, he promises to do stuff, and never does stuff...and the process goes on and on and on.  If he worked for me, he would have been fired.  I wouldn't trust him pushing a broom.

That being said, let me start off with a verse:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  (Philippians 4:8 ESV)

OH!  That we as Christians would FOLLOW this verse.  Hide it in our heart, write it on the walls of our heart.  We need to use that as a filter of when to listen, and when to ignore.

When do we listen?  I'm gonna step out on a limb here, but let me say this:  If the person yapping doesn't live a life that is Godly, its time to ignore.  If the person yapping is contrary to the word of God, then you need to ignore.

Ill never forget a stunt a lady (don't think I should dishonor all the lady's in the world by calling her such) wife pulled in church one time.  Her husband was a deacon, and she was...well, let this story illustrate. 

At a business meeting, the church had a opening for a deacon.  A man had moved back to our area a few years back, and had been attending our church faithfully since he moved back, was in good standing in the church, and had been asked by the pastor to become the next deacon.  It required a vote of the church.  When his name was mentioned, this lady wife stood up and questioned his life.  He had been divorced years ago, and it seems she remembered the split.  And she quoted scripture.

Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well.
(1 Timothy 3:12 ESV)

Well, this was a stunner...the man without going into reasons, or debating Scriptures, said that he had no problem withdrawing his name.

Should we have listened?  Again, without debating scripture, I think there should have been two openings for deacons that night.  Why?  Because she was contrary to the previous scripture, 1 Timothy 3:11:

Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things.

She was a slanderer, and thus disqualified her own husband from being a deacon.

To sum it up, if you meet a person who is "church folk" that is full of backstabbing, discord, and gossip, stay away.  Do not taint your sprit with their disease. 

On the other hand, if it is a person who is worldly and foul because they are ignorant, love them.  If they do it to be offensive, let your light shine, but do not bow to their standards.

Quotewhen is it better to defend, and when is it better to leave it be, and let them figure it out for themselves?

To quote a guy:  You can't fix stupid.

Psalms 141 is one of my favorites.  When I have a slow moment in prayer, and I want to mediate on the word, often I will pick up my bible and read/pray the Psalms.  Psalms 51, 139, 141 are my favorites now.  But a verse in 141 got in my got my attention the other day:

[5] Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness;
      let him rebuke me—it is oil for my head;

let my head not refuse it.
(Psalm 141:5 ESV)

If the person is wise, a correction from you will make them shaddup.  If they are a fool....well...

[10] A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding
      than a hundred blows into a fool.
(Proverbs 17:10 ESV)

If you try to correct the person, and there is no changing their mind, good chance that the person is a fool.

:ugly:

QuoteWhen is it not right to be right?

When you took home the llama and your mom blew a gasket...

Lynx

That's about the size of it.  I'm a semi-pro listener myself.  Sometimes I can offer advice, but a lot of times people just need to talk out their problems.  Many a time someone has done all the talking and worked out his own problem with few or no words from me at all... then thanked me for my good advice.   :great:

But people who talk about OTHER people's problems, I actively avoid them.  If they talk ABOUT someone TO me, they'll be talking TO someone ABOUT me.  When someone goes on and on to me about how terrible someone else is, all I can think about is, "I wonder what he says about ME to someone else?"
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

mini

Easy way to cure a person of talking about other folks is this:  When they say have you heard about so-in-so, grab their arm, go to the person they are talking about, and say, ok, now what were you gonna say about them?

Lynx

But then the talker talks to everyone else about how unmitigatedly, unbearably rude you were in doing that. 

Oh well, if they talk about me they're giving some other poor sod a break.  :pound:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

Shifting focus to the bright side of listening (non-gossip) it can be a great witnessing tool.  Many times I've had a verse pop in my head that fit the person's situation, and biblical advice can be given without getting preachy.  It might also help to offer to pray for them - just don't start preaching in the prayer either, like "Lord you know he needs you in his life before it will be straightened out, Lord cleanse this poor sinner!"   ;)
"Do you sing at church?"

Tricia Lea

Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

mini

Quote from: Tricia Lea on February 18, 2011, 11:40:56 PM
Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Thats easy...first hand is the "hour" hand.  It points to the hour.

The second is the "minute" hand.  It points to the minute.

The third hand is the "second" hand.  It points to the second.

Now what you may not have known is why the hand is called a hand.

The inventor of the clock was a hapless and luckless fellow who had a record number of inventions to his name.  He had just invented the clock almost as we know it, but it had only the hour pointer.  That day, he was working on a new invention, a guillotine style fingernail clipper.

(while he was a clever fellow at seeing what should be invented, he was none to bright on thinking through his inventions)

You guessed what happened next, test, boom, off flies his left hand, and lands on the new invented clock, thus giving it the minute "hand".  So excited was he that he also tested his new invention on his other hand, and thus got a "second" hand on the clock.

Bob, (not to be confused with the 15 Bobs on godplace, and the Bob I usually wave at) his faithful assistant helped him finalize the clock, and named the pointers hands in honor of the inventor of the clock.

Bob also tried to start a business selling the inventors guillotined hands.  He managed to sell one, but never could move the second one, thus earning his store the name of a "second hand" store.

A little side note...after the inventor of the clock lost his hands, Bob made him 2 hooks for hands.  The inventor then went on to captain a ship, thus earning the name Captain Hook.  He also had a patch for his eye.  That was cause he saw a seagull overhead, the seagull went...um...well...it pottyed...and Hook forgot he had a hook and tried to protect his eye.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Lynx

I've heard all the stories before, but never put together like that.  Hilarious!
"Do you sing at church?"

mini

Ive got a bad case of ADHD/Craziness/Fleas.  Anyone want a question or 14 answered?

sunlight

What are you doing on July 2nd?

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

I got a call tonight from some loon asking if I had your phone number... LOL

Feed The Bachelors 2010

mini

Quote from: sunlight on June 24, 2011, 02:35:58 AM

I am starting a new, advanced weight loss program.  It involves day upon day of Oklahoma heat and lots of sweat.  It also involves a church firework stand.   I personally think there may be a lost book of the bible that strictly forbids work, but I have yet to discover it.

Quote from: YooperYankDude on June 24, 2011, 06:58:13 AM

Meeth knoweth not whom you speek of.  *cough*

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on June 24, 2011, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: sunlight on June 24, 2011, 02:35:58 AM

I am starting a new, advanced weight loss program.  It involves day upon day of Oklahoma heat and lots of sweat.  It also involves a church firework stand.   I personally think there may be a lost book of the bible that strictly forbids work, but I have yet to discover it.

Quote from: YooperYankDude on June 24, 2011, 06:58:13 AM

Meeth knoweth not whom you speek of.  *cough*
Possibly the same loon that called me and began chatting without saying who they were? Took me a minute to figure it out... :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Wait a second.... You called me!

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Lynx

He did?  What did he call you?   :biglaugh:
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

why is it such a big deal in  Job about the first 3 friends of his, but not the young guy that is in the latter part of the book?

Lynx

*Psalm_97 puts duct tape over his mouth cause this ain't his thread.

I actually had an answer all typed out, then remembered where I was.  :P
"Do you sing at church?"