News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Air Conditioner?

Started by newkris, July 07, 2008, 03:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newkris

so . . . having to get an air conditioner (or two) for my very little house.  i have to be careful of how much wattage it will pull and i only need a 5,000 or so btu. 

i could use one portable one between the bedrooms or i could get two window units.  which is the better deal?

wondering . . . have any of you ever used a portable ac unit?  do they work?  are they efficient?  worth the price?

i have been looking online and it seems that i can get a window unit for about $150 or less.  a portable one would be around $350 or more. 

any brands i should avoid?  any brands i should try to find?

thanks for your help.  truly. 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Sis

Not sure. We bought one for my dad long time ago but Stevebert did that. We have central air and it's part of the complex.

SippinTea

Kris, I'm no help at all, but I have an uncle who's been in the heating/cooling business for a long time. If it would help, I'd be glad to give you his number. PM me if you want it. :)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

newkris

thanks, ruby.  we ended up buying two small window units which are more than capable of cooling my little cottage space.  they were both on sale with one only being $96. 

God is good! 

sure did need them yesterday.  it was in the upper 80s and i swear the humidity was 70% or more.  yuck. 
me, too.

there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

SippinTea

Quote from: newkris on July 08, 2008, 02:28:53 PM
yuck. 

*gasp* She said 'yuck'! Should we send the GP police out after her?

*grin*

newkris

yucky.

is that better?

sticky  stucky.  stuck.

do prefer those?

would you like your yuck in a box?
would you like it with a fox?

do you like yuck here or there?
do you like yuck anywhere?

:pwink:

this literary relief was brought to you by the letter K and the color pink.
me, too.

The Purple Fuzzy

Brother Dad

I used window units myself.  I would suggest since cost is important go with something a little bigger than 5000 btu's. 5000 will just run all the time where an 8500 will cut off more often and use less power.  Of course I don't know how hot it is there.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

SippinTea

*laughing* Oh Kris... only you.

*HUG* You're fantabulous, gal, ya know that? ;)

Envelope

Window Air is DEFINATELY better than NO air at all!!!!!!!

We just stayed with friends in TX (where it's REGULARLY 110 degrees) and she has 5 window units, one in each 3 bedrooms, the den, and the living room.

we used to have window air here, but got central air a couple years ago and central is HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharon

newkris

the only way you would find me in a place where the temp is 110 is i heard an audible voice from heaven, accompanied by a dove AND a burning bush.  then i MIGHT  be convinced it's God.  dear Lord . . . that's why i'm working so hard to stay out of other hot places. :pwink:  me and Jesus know i could never survive there!

now that i have the units, it's hardly been warm enough again to use them.  oy.  summer up north. ya gotta love it!

how long before it's winter?
me, too.

Envelope

BOL BOL BOL @ newkris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    you are HILARIOUS!!!!!   :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

One summer I visited the same friend in Texas and it was 116 degrees!!!   Interstate 35 was MELTING!!!!!!   It was SOOOOOOOOOO HOT!

I'm working real hard tooo......................to stay out of that other place that gets even HOTTER!!!!!!    LOLOL  I've been on my best behaviour!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharon

Sis

Quote from: newkris on July 15, 2008, 02:45:35 AM
the only way you would find me in a place where the temp is 110 is i heard an audible voice from heaven, accompanied by a dove AND a burning bush.  then i MIGHT  be convinced it's God.  dear Lord . . . that's why i'm working so hard to stay out of other hot places. :pwink:  me and Jesus know i could never survive there!

now that i have the units, it's hardly been warm enough again to use them.  oy.  summer up north. ya gotta love it!

how long before it's winter?

:laughat:  Agreed! 

Brother Dad

Quote from: newkris on July 07, 2008, 03:16:13 AM
so . . . having to get an air conditioner (or two) for my very little house.  i have to be careful of how much wattage it will pull and i only need a 5,000 or so btu. 

i could use one portable one between the bedrooms or i could get two window units.  which is the better deal?

wondering . . . have any of you ever used a portable ac unit?  do they work?  are they efficient?  worth the price?

i have been looking online and it seems that i can get a window unit for about $150 or less.  a portable one would be around $350 or more. 

any brands i should avoid?  any brands i should try to find?

thanks for your help.  truly. 
Well have you gotten any air yet or are you going to wait to winter when they go sale. lol
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

myhaloisintheshop

I know the night we moved to OKlahoma when we drove through town at 10 pm--it was 110 degrees.  I didn't think I could deal with the heat but its not been too terrible.

newkris

Quote from: Brother Dad on July 15, 2008, 02:35:50 PM
Well have you gotten any air yet or are you going to wait to winter when they go sale. lol

yep.  picked up two little window units.  glad i had them today, but this is only the 2nd time they've been on.  glad to have them, but honestly would survive without. 
me, too.

Sister_Mom

I didn't think they would have ACs for sale there. It would be like trying to find a heater in Florida.  :biglaugh:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sis

Minneapolis can get pretty hot. It's at the lower half of the state. Now, up North near Lake Superior can stay pretty cool. They called it the "Airconditioned city" because if there's a breeze from the lake it can cool things 20 degrees inside ten minutes.

Sister_Mom

Quote from: MelodyB on July 16, 2008, 01:27:08 PM
A heater? Whats that? ???

:laughhard:

Sis, "hot" is a matter of one's point of view. It was 86 here yesterday and everyone was talking about how "hot" it was.  That's warm, NOT hot!  :laughhard:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

myhaloisintheshop

Sis

I have found, through moving around the last 8 years, that the number doesn't mean much. It depends on what else is going on, too. 86-90 can be hot in Northern Minnesota, but here, it feels like 70 would back home.  There, 70 is a warm, comfortable day. Here, some might be wearing sweaters.

Back home when it's 30 degrees in the winter, it's warm. People go around with just shirts on. But in NY, it is equal to something like 10 below back home.

I have learned it doesn't mean much to just look at a number.

Sister_Mom

That's very interesting. I believe the humidity and barometric pressure may have a lot to do with that.
Just my thoughts.  :nerd:

Sis

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. The winter humidity here is so bad, it cuts to the bone. At 50 degrees here, it can feel like 10 below back home, if the wind is blowing.

RainbowJingles

Yup.  What she said.  It could feel REALLY cold back in Maryland in the winter.  Bone-chilling.

The wind here has a LOT to do with things.  The ocean and bay breezes make things seem a LOT cooler than they are some days, and the lack of humidity makes higher temperatures MUCH more bearable (thank GOD!)