News:

Remember to check out the Devotions & Poems forum!

Main Menu

e-Bay?

Started by MelodyB, April 22, 2008, 08:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelodyB

Ok so I have been a member of eBay for quite awhile, and I buy all sorts of stuff from there..I LOVE it.

BUT...I think Im ready to start selling stuff. I have some things I need to get rid of, and my friend Jason has some phones he needs to sell. How do I go about it?

What I want to know is...do they charge you to sell things?

How do I know how much it will cost to ship something? Do I just make up what I think it will cost?

Is it hard to figure out?

Has anyone here had any problems with the buyers that buy your stuff?

What about payment?...I have PayPal, and I would rather be one of those sellers that accepts PayPal only, BUT what if I want the money in my hand...will PayPal transfer it into my bank account?

Any horror stories about this?

Seth? Tricia? I know yall have sold stuff.....
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

The Purple Fuzzy

What kind of phones for sale?  Is it cell phones?

MelodyB

Yes. But not for cingular.....they are for sprint.

Chseeads

BUT...I think Im ready to start selling stuff. I have some things I need to get rid of, and my friend Jason has some phones he needs to sell. How do I go about it?

It's actually really easy to do it....it walks you right through the process....

Yes.  There are fees for listing things.  And Paypal has transaction fees.  They are small amounts, but they do add up....  If what you sell only sells for a really low amount, it's not really worth it to sell on there so much...imo..  But if you're selling something that will go at a pretty decent price then it makes it worth the transaction fees...

How do I know how much it will cost to ship something? Do I just make up what I think it will cost?

For the stuff I sold, I set most of it up to use USPS Priority Flate Rate envelopes or boxes.  If what you're shipping will fit in those, that's a pretty cut and dry method.  A lot of people on Ebay jack up their shipping fees and that's really where they make their money....  I tried to keep the shipping straightforward pretty much on what I have sold.

See above....and you could weigh a package before hand to get a general idea...check out usps.com and what have you...

I didn't have any probs with the buyers I dealt with.

What about payment?...I have PayPal, and I would rather be one of those sellers that accepts PayPal only, BUT what if I want the money in my hand...will PayPal transfer it into my bank account?

PayPal tends to be most people's preference on Ebay...  And yes, PayPal can transfer directly into your bank account.

It was a dark and stormy night......

:waving:

sunlight

Quote from: MelodyB on April 22, 2008, 08:44:53 AM

SEE! IT IS JASON! Not justin! I knew i wasnt crazy! haha!
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Chseeads

Dear sweet honey....this does not prove you're not crazy.  :freaky2:

sunlight

true, but it does prove that i did hear Mel right, and she just didnt remember right... lol!

Tricia Lea

I do know ebay now requires new sellers to only use pay pal and that way it makes it easier for ebay to recoup if a new seller is not above board. I had to start a new acct with ebay to sell as before ebay claimed I requested featured plus I think they called it then which included listing on their front page lol  The stuff I had sold was like $50 each and featured plus was $99 then and they said I requested it for 4 listings and wanted me to pay $400.
So needless to say I am starting back out as a new seller per say lol
They do say pay pal can hold payments for 21 days

here is what it says when i go to sell item
QuoteBecause of your limited transaction history on eBay, you must offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a payment method for this listing. PayPal is the safer, easier way to receive payments on eBay.
Learn more about the eBay Accepted Payment Policy.

Some payments may be held in your account to ensure smooth transactions. PayPal will release the hold after 21 days without a buyer dispute, claim, chargeback or other action. The hold may be released earlier if either of the following occurs:

They did not hold my payment but  when I first saw this I looked into it and found out they tend to hold it if you list an item in what they call a high risk category

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

It is easy to list stuff

And I have a pay pal debit card, if you have a pay pal account you can request one, that way instead of the 3 days it takes to transfer you can access your money the second its credited to your acct
Upgrade your pay pal account to premier and you can get one, upgrading is free
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_debit-outside

Anything else I can think of I will add later lol

Sis

Ok so I have been a member of eBay for quite awhile, and I buy all sorts of stuff from there..I LOVE it.

I've done a lot of selling on Ebay. You just post what you want to sell. Hint: post a picture or your items might not sell. It has a form for you to fill out. It's not complicated at all. If I can do it, anyone can.

They take a per centage of what you sell. I haven't sold anything for a year, but they didn't charge if your item didn't sell, but that may have changed.

What I have done was put the item in a box and weighed. You can go to USPS.com and get the price for the package size and weight. I usually charge a dollar or two above that to cover packaging materials and gas to get to the post office. Most people don't consider that stuff ends up costing you money. Hint: Now, you can weigh your package, get  a label from USPS.com and the mailman will pick it up at your house.

No, once you've done it, you will see how easy it is.

Yes, I have only had two problems, though. Buying: One lady sent the wrong stuff, and I INSISTED on my money back, and enough to cover postage to send her the stuff she sent back. After about two months I finally got my money back, but she never sent money for postage for her items back. I finally told her they were going to the Goodwill if she didn't have it to me by a certain date. I never got it. I gave the stuff to the Goodwill. DON'T SEND THE ITEM UNTIL THEIR MONEY CLEARS. Whether you use paypal, or a check/moneyorder. Make sure it clears first before sending the item. Money orders can be recalled as easily as a check. I never used paypal. Hate it. Closed my account.

If an item is paypal only, I just skip over it. Many people do.

For the most part, things worked out pretty well. The most trouble I've had was buying. Decide if you want to insure packages and include that price in your shipping costs. If something is broken, you'll be covered. That information is also on the USPS.com site.

If you ever have to give bad feedback, wait until they give your feedback first. They have a tendency to get even and lie about you back because you gave bad or neutral feedback.

Tricia Lea

This reminded me lol

Quote from: Sis on April 22, 2008, 04:48:35 PM
What I have done was put the item in a box and weighed. You can go to USPS.com and get the price for the package size and weight. I usually charge a dollar or two above that to cover packaging materials and gas to get to the post office. Most people don't consider that stuff ends up costing you money. Hint: Now, you can weigh your package, get  a label from USPS.com and the mailman will pick it up at your house.

if you want go to walmart for $25 you can buy postal scales, I bought a scale on ebay lol
but only buy a  scale if you are going to sell enough that its worth the cost.
I dont drive so it works out with me weighing and printing up postage here on my computer and going to www.usps.com and requesting them to pick up,. you dont even have to be at home for them to pick up, just tell where you will leave the package and they will get it, like mine I specify by the side door

Chseeads

* Chseeads camps out in the bushes near TL's side door to watch for items she leaves for the mailman.  :hypocrite:

Tricia Lea

:o lol there is one out there now lol, a dress I sold, but Seth it is not your size, sorry lol

yosemite

if i want to buy something i usually want it in hand at purchase. if i want a good deal i go to nearest bent and dent store. I'm just ole timey that way. yall modern age shoppers-wife included, worry me.LOL
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

Sis

Quote from: Tricia Lea on April 22, 2008, 04:59:01 PM

if you want go to walmart for $25 you can buy postal scales, I bought a scale on ebay lol
but only buy a  scale if you are going to sell enough that its worth the cost.
I dont drive so it works out with me weighing and printing up postage here on my computer and going to www.usps.com and requesting them to pick up,. you dont even have to be at home for them to pick up, just tell where you will leave the package and they will get it, like mine I specify by the side door

I got a kitchen scale for $15 at Target. Weighs the same, plus I can weigh food, too!  :hypocrite:

Mrs. Yosemite

Yep !! DATS RIGHT WHUR I FOUND' EEM :loopy:
I wuz in the bent n dent store looking at the baked beans and PPPPPH! :ugly:  THER HE WUZ!   MUSTA BEEN LUV!
(wonder if he would've been cheaper on ebay?)

Sis

Quote from: Mrs. Yosemite on April 22, 2008, 05:26:38 PM
Yep !! DATS RIGHT WHUR I FOUND' EEM :loopy:
I wuz in the bent n dent store looking at the baked beans and PPPPPH! :ugly:  THER HE WUZ!   MUSTA BEEN LUV!
(wonder if he would've been cheaper on ebay?)

:laughat: I wonder!

Mrs. Yosemite

Yep. Still got a big old dent in his head. lol Just kidding.

Sis

*Sis wishes there was a bent and dent store around* Sounds like fun. I like getting deals.

Tricia Lea

Quote from: Chseeads on April 22, 2008, 05:02:09 PM
* Chseeads camps out in the bushes near TL's side door to watch for items she leaves for the mailman.  :hypocrite:

well the mail man picked them up and dropped off 2 things I ordered from ebay. So you are too late lol

Thats what I like about selling on there, I can use some of the money to buy a few things lol

Sis

That's what I do at the Goodwill. Bring stuff to donate in the back, and bring new stuff out the front.

MelodyB

Quote from: sunlight on April 22, 2008, 04:12:24 PM

SEE! IT IS JASON! Not justin! I knew i wasnt crazy! haha!

Quote from: sunlight on April 22, 2008, 04:29:43 PM
true, but it does prove that i did hear Mel right, and she just didnt remember right... lol!

NO you didnt hear me right....JUSTIN has a Cingular phone....the blackberry he was trying to sell you... JASON has THREE sprint phones...so there!

I am still right, and you still need a hearing aid. :P

*HUGS* Chel

MelodyB

Thanks for all the feedback yall. This has been really helpful, and now I know who to go to if I have anymore questions.

BTW Chel, I wouldnt sell for Justin, he does that himself. :wasup: Jason on the other hand...he has dial-up, and he really isnt famillier with stuff on eBay, or really computers in general, thats why I will list some of his stuff too, if I do it.

sunlight

LOL... haha. rats. here i was thinking i saw a way out of calling justin the wrong name... lol!

MelodyB

Nope...you didnt.

*HUGS* Chel

Mrs. Yosemite

Hi Melody,

Everyone here is giving you some  really good Ebay advice. They mentioned alot of things I forgot. But I posted some of my ebay experience on the Quick Cash thread. I havent had any really BAD things happen in my sellings on Ebay. Just once in a while you might get a customer that you can't please no matter how hard you try.  ( Some people just need a kick in the tail)  haha

But for the most part, everything runs pretty smooth. Most customers have some sense. Just dont ship anything before you get the money, and DONT authorize Ebay to auto-draft ANY of your ebay fees out of your paypal or any other account.  :thumbsup2: