News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Is he spitting up too much???(updated!)

Started by Courtney, February 28, 2007, 03:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtney

My son hasn't had trouble with spitting up at all since he was born. But here lately, he is spitting up all the time! He spits up even after burping frequently, elevating him after feeding, we've even tried adding some cereal to his milk, which resulted in a horrendous spewing mess. I feel so helpless! How can I help suppress the spitting up, and how much spit up is considered normal for a three month old to be doing? Thanks for the help!

Elfin

Courtney...

This sounds like classic signs of acid reflux disease.  Probably a good idea to check w/ your doctor.
~
~~
~~~
Renée

myhaloisintheshop

it does.  That is how Chase was and we had to change his formula.  When we did that he got soooo much better.

littlegal

It does sound like Gerd or reflux.  Zakary had that and nothing helped him.  He spit up horribly until he was over 18 months old.  To this day he still vomits a couple of times a week.    When he was a baby, we had to use receiving blankets for burp cloths and he easily soaked through several of those a day.  We didn't go anywhere without extra clothes and plenty of receiving blankets.

With Zakary since nothing helped, we were told all we could do was live with it.  There were some other things they could have done if he was suffering from it (losing weight or in pain) but since he wasn't physically hurting from it, all we could do was wait it out.

Scott

Don't stress it.

I think a formula change may help. Sometimes it may be as simple as not using a powder formula or even a soy based or organic formula.

I don't know how old your child is, but if he is over a year, you could try some whole milk (not 1%, 2% or skim) in small doses.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

EmmazMommy

i would talk to his doctor about changing formula.....thats what we had to do with Emma....she would spew after every bottle feeding....after we changed her to Gentlease...we had much less spittin up

littlegal

Also maybe try the Dr. Brown's bottles.  They are great!  When my oldest first started formula he spit up a lot.  I started using the dr. browns bottles and he never spit up again. 

Courtney

We have already switched him to soy due to constipation he had when he was a few days old. We have WIC so the only thing they provide is Similac type formulas. If we were to switch formulas, it would have to be Alimentum and that is HIGH priced. He eats much more a month than WIC provides per month, so we'd be bankrupt trying to buy it. I think we're stuck. We've also tried Gentlease and he refused to drink it for some reason. I plan on giving it some time, and then asking his doctor on the 26th at his well-baby. I hope he gets better! We go through so may clothes a day it isn't even funny!

littlegal

If he's already on soy milk, i would recommend trying different bottles.  There are so many out there that are supposed to help reduce the spitting up, surely one would help even a little. 
From my experience with my own son and working in daycare, the Dr. Brown's bottles are really great.  (they helped one of my children, but didn't help the other)  It would be worth a try.
This website has info about the bottles.  You can buy them anywhere.
http://www.handi-craft.com/Bottles.shtm

This is what they look like

Courtney

I think I may have figured it out, and I hope I am not speaking too soon! With his dinner tonight, I spoon fed him about five bites of cereal mixed with formula (which he did great with! I am surprised he took the food from the spoon so well!) and then gave him his bottle of milk. He only spit up about a 50-cent piece sized dollop of spit up, which is a HUGE improvement! So I am going to do that for a whole day or so and see if the food starts staying down better.

Envelope

we had to Thicken ALL of hannah's bottles with baby cereal......it became a real pain to get through the nipple on the bottle........so you may be on the right track there!!

good luck

sharon

EmmazMommy

Quote from: Courtney on March 02, 2007, 02:20:38 AM
I think I may have figured it out, and I hope I am not speaking too soon! With his dinner tonight, I spoon fed him about five bites of cereal mixed with formula (which he did great with! I am surprised he took the food from the spoon so well!) and then gave him his bottle of milk. He only spit up about a 50-cent piece sized dollop of spit up, which is a HUGE improvement! So I am going to do that for a whole day or so and see if the food starts staying down better.

when emma was little after trying Gentlease we did the same thing. we added cereal to EVERY bottle and she did SOOO much better~! we started adding about 2 ounces of cereal to an 8 ounce bottle. the problem we had then was the nipples on bottles. so we switched her to Vent-Aire by Playtex. the bottles are made with a slit in the nipple instead of a hole! we used the stage 2 nipples and it worked wonders. we were going through about 20 spit rags and about 6-8 sets of clothes a DAY! it went down to a couple rags and usually 2 sets of clothes a day which was still a pain but not that abnormal for an infant! worked wonders!!!!