News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Something I just don't understand...

Started by Lynx, January 29, 2013, 07:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

This is a general Bible thread for short questions about things you don't understand in the Bible.  Please keep it short - if we need a lengthy discussion about a topic we can start a new thread dealing with that topic in particular. 

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to answer quick questions, without having to start a whole thread just for a simple ask/answer.

"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

And of course I have an ulterior motive for starting this thread.  I have a quick question.

When David knocked out Goliath, the army of Israel went nuts and mowed down the Philistines.  If the Israelites were able to wipe out the Philistines, why did they let the Philistines set the rules for one-on-one with Goliath in the first place? 

Rephrase:  If they were that much stronger than the Philistines, why did they even allow the Goliath challenge to take place?  Why did they let the enemy set the victory conditions?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Scott

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 29, 2013, 07:26:49 AM
And of course I have an ulterior motive for starting this thread.  I have a quick question.

When David knocked out Goliath, the army of Israel went nuts and mowed down the Philistines.  If the Israelites were able to wipe out the Philistines, why did they let the Philistines set the rules for one-on-one with Goliath in the first place? 

Rephrase:  If they were that much stronger than the Philistines, why did they even allow the Goliath challenge to take place?  Why did they let the enemy set the victory conditions?

Fear!

Saul was scared - Goliath scared the puddin' plumb out of him.

The thing to remember is that Saul was the biggest dude in Israel

Quote1 Samuel 10:23

And he had a son, whose name was Saul, a choice young man, and a goodly: and there was not among the children of Israel a goodlier person than he: from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people.

Saul should have been the one going mano a mano with Goliath - but he was gripped by fear as was the rest of the army. AFTER Davids Victory they were energized and had a Revival so to speak.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

But why did they have to go mano-a-mano at all? 
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

to me it seems like they were pretty close to equal manwise... until you add in the intimidation factor. The philisines knew that they had someone that was good at intimidation- so they used it... and then- when david defeated their intimidation, they in turn were the ones that were intimidated, and thus ran, instead of fighting man to man like they could have done.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

sunlight

but of course, I have not read it yet this year, so that is totally going off of memory and such, and i am not a scholar, so if one of the scholars on the board pipe in, i would say they may know better than I.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Scott

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 29, 2013, 04:48:59 PM
But why did they have to go mano-a-mano at all?

You are looking at it through 21st century eyes; warfare back then was so very different.

When these ancient armies faced each other, they ran into battle headlong with a barbaric blood thirst swinging, slashing, cutting, getting cut, hitting, punching, kicking and killing. 

Remember that people thousands of years ago tended to be shorter than people today by several inches: now imagine that you are 5'5'' or 5'6" (average height back then according to anthropologists) and a 13 foot tall guy is in the front of the Army facing your Army! Consider that you have maybe a sword, a shield and a spear. This guy's shields is bigger than you are! 

When that order to attack is given you stand a good chance of not making it past this guy.  This guy had a reputation of being a fierce fighter and the soldiers were scared to death.  So scared that they were afraid to fight.

Along came David who picked up 5 stones and used one to knock him down and sliced his head off with the giants own sword.  With this 13 feet of scary monsterness removed.. Saul's army attacked with a frenzy of swords, spears, blood and gore.

Notice that David took 5 stones.. the bible tells us that from Gath there were 4 other giants, all family members of Goliath (son's, brothers) - David was ready to take them all on..

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of love and power and a sound mind.

This story should remind us that no matter how big the problem seems, no matter how scary the situation is, God is on our side and we can be victorious.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

Quote from: Scott on January 29, 2013, 08:54:44 PM

Remember that people thousands of years ago tended to be shorter than people today by several inches: now imagine that you are 5'5'' or 5'6" (average height back then according to anthropologists) and a 13 foot tall guy is in the front of the Army facing your Army! Consider that you have maybe a sword, a shield and a spear. This guy's shields is bigger than you are! 
That could also explain why one giant was able to kill hundreds of regular fighters.  I hadn't considered that.

I'm only an inch taller than your "average guy back then" so maybe I'm a throwback...
"Do you sing at church?"

Scott

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 29, 2013, 08:58:54 PM

That could also explain why one giant was able to kill hundreds of regular fighters.  I hadn't considered that.

I'm only an inch taller than your "average guy back then" so maybe I'm a throwback...

Too often we view bible stories using our modern eyes and it can be a bit confusing.

The Never Ending Battle

Melody

such a good story.

The enemy tried to manipulate the fight with "reason" when God wanted Israel to completely defeat them.

If Israel would've taken care of them in the first place, they wouldn't have had this issue. 

You can't defy God in something and not expect to come back w/ a vengeance. 

Disobedience = weakness later.

I enjoy some of M.Henry's commentary on stuff.  http://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?AuthorID=4&contentID=888&commInfo=5&topic=1%20Samuel&ar=1Sa_17_10

Scott

Here is an additional thought...

QuoteEsther 4:14
English Standard Version (ESV)
14 For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"

Remember that the bible made a big deal out of the fact that Saul was the biggest guy in the Kingdom. 

Is it possible that he was put into the kingship for ''such a time as this?" - unlike Esther.. he failed.

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

That'll preach!

You shouldn't give away perfectly good sermons though.  Now if you come down here our church will think you stole the sermon from me.  :D
"Do you sing at church?"

Scott

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 31, 2013, 03:49:33 PM
That'll preach!

You shouldn't give away perfectly good sermons though.  Now if you come down here our church will think you stole the sermon from me.  :D

Not copyrighted......

The Never Ending Battle

World Traveler

Looking for a scripture I have often heard about, but now that I need it I can't find it. Maybe it doesn't exist, but if it is a real scripture, then I need it.

Basically, the scripture details how God told Moses (or someone) to etch, engrave, or in some way record the sins of the people on the horns of the altar.

Does this ring any bells? Does anyone know where this scripture or one similar to it is?

If it is real, I want to use it in tomorrows Sunday school lesson.

Thanks.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Lynx

Those would be big horns... Run out of space real fast. 

The priest was to take the blood from the sacrifice and smear it on the horns of the altar. 
Try Exodus 29:12 and a lot of Leviticus 4.
"Do you sing at church?"

World Traveler

Yes, but I remember hearing it preached somewhere that the sins of the people were etched in those horns (I am sure it wasn't each sin for each person, but probably catgegories, like th ten commandments). So, when the blood was applied to the horns, they only covered the sins, but did not do away with them.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Lynx

The only reference I could find in all the Mosaic Law was where the priest wore two onyx stones with the names of the tribes of Israel engraven on them.
"Do you sing at church?"

Scott

The Never Ending Battle