News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

China's "Born in the USA" Frenzy

Started by taco_harvell, June 15, 2011, 11:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco_harvell

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110614/wl_time/08599207769300

I saw this A LOT while leaving in Phoenix with people coming across the border just to give birth. Is it just me or is it time we updated some parts of our constitution that just don't make since anymore? In 1868 when the 14th amendment was ratified many Americans were immigrants possibly, a majority of them were immigrants or only the second or third generation born here. Now, it is easy to find out where a parent holds citizenship and just because they are on American dirt (usually illegally and in many cases without insurance to cover their medical care) we should not give their child citizenship.

What do you think? Do you feel differently?
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Oh boy... Wonder if this will become a hot and sticky topic... Lol

:popcorn:

Just one other thought... Unfortunately China essentially owns our country... Because of the US's outrageous debt, and lack of real currency to pay back the debt to China... So in reality if they called in the debt, and we can't pay it back... We could end up as Chinese citizens! Not all that funny actually, been thinking about since I my Econ class in University way back in 2005... Maybe I should start a thread on it! Lol

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Melody

I agree with you Taco.  In Turkey, you have to live there 5 years with no more than 6 months away to get your citizenship amongst other things.  I do think that is probably one of the few if not the only thing that has become unsustainable in our constitution/ American idealism.

I think we retain some things beyond money otherwise China would have taken over by now.

Chseeads

I say we sell some places and pay off the debt...  Hawaii maybe?  It's so far away, nobody remembers it's there....it's a "paradise," great tourist destination...that whole island chain has to be worth a mint...  We sell it, pay off the debt, and voila.  lol

:P

:ugly:

Not that that has anything to do with the citizenship topic and all that.....  :smirk2: