I need your help. What is pain?

Started by taco_harvell, July 08, 2018, 08:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco_harvell

Define Physical pain:

Define emotional pain:

Can they affect each other?

Does your oldest memory involve pain?

Doing a little research for something I'm working on. Thanks for helping!
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

MsJennJenn

Define Physical pain:

Pain that actually occurs on the physical body. You stub your toe, pain ensues. Kidney stone blocks your bladder....you physically feel the pain radiating thru your lower back around to the front of your stomach.

Define emotional pain:

Women are highly emotional. What we "feel" as emotional pain I think can differ from men. It's also much heightened because our own senses are heightened. God gave a mother a "mothers intuition" for a reason. I think that in essence applies to women period. Stress is emotional pain. Heartache/heart-break is emotional pain. A friend de-friends you, your heart hurts. A man breaks up with you - your heart is broken. You have a new boss that has no CLUE what they're doing, so you are mentally stressed at work - that mental stress over a period of time in turns to emotional stress. Which then turns to physical stress. (This example applies to the below question.) Grief is also an emotional/mental pain. Just like loss in the physical body can cause pain, loss emotionally causes pain.

MOST definitely. A few years ago I had a supervisor that literally was clueless about so much. She made my job a living you know what. She didn't know how to communicate. She didn't know how to lead. She didn't know how to utilize my job role. I became so stressed internally that it evolved into physical complications. Not to go into too much detail, but the external stress and mental stress caused my body to do away with the curse of eve for almost ten months. (Hope you catch my drift there haha).

When it comes to my oldest relationship? Yes.  He broke my heart into a million pieces.
I don't necessarily know that I can remember any actual pain (physical or mental/emotional) from my childhood. Other than typical physical scrapes and bruises. I grew up with the same 2 parents. They didn't fight that I can remember. We never had familial issues. I never broke any bones or have had any surgeries.

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

taco_harvell

Thanks Jenn!

Now you others post this is for something I'm working on 2 of you know about...

taco_harvell

taco_harvell

Lynx

I can't really say anything on this because I do not consider myself to have gone through a lot of pain yet, physically or emotionally. Closest thing I ever had was when my parents divorced (I dealt with it as well as a 12 year old can) and when I cut a finger with a razor knife. Nothing major in my life yet to cause a lot of pain.

But I'm posting anyway to let you know I have read the thread, but I just don't have anything to say.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

taco_harvell

Quote from: Lynx on July 13, 2018, 02:00:25 AMI can't really say anything on this because I do not consider myself to have gone through a lot of pain yet, physically or emotionally. Closest thing I ever had was when my parents divorced (I dealt with it as well as a 12 year old can) and when I cut a finger with a razor knife. Nothing major in my life yet to cause a lot of pain.

But I'm posting anyway to let you know I have read the thread, but I just don't have anything to say.

Thanks Bro!

mini

Define Physical pain:

According to the interwebs, physical pain is an unpleasant sensation that can range from mild, localized discomfort to agony.  Pain has both physical and emotional components. The physical part of pain results from nerve stimulation.

Define emotional pain:  

Now this one is interesting.  Wikipedia groups this with Psychological Pain:  Psychological pain, mental pain, or emotional pain is an unpleasant feeling (a suffering) of a psychological, non-physical origin. A pioneer in the field of suicidology, Edwin S. Shneidman, described it as "how much you hurt as a human being. It is mental suffering; mental torment."

Yes.  Yes. Yes!  

And this is the part I have been pondering for the last few days.  We know our physical condition will wear on our emotions.  A pain-free person fights irritability from lack of sleep but compounded with pain the results are harsher.

However, that is such a simple answer compared to the reality.  If you combine fear with the pain and weariness of the battle, then your emotions are even rawer.
You keep on adding different formulas to that (meds, anxiety, depression, loneliness, etc.) the results keep spiraling out of control.  The mind tricks of the enemy are endless.

And that's just the lack of sleep + pain.

Add pain to relationships, and you are stressed.  And emotions start over.

Add pain to the need to exercise (not in a no pain no gain way) and you have the excuse to sit down, thus bringing on a whole other set of problems.  And those problems affect your emotions all over again.

The battle for your mind is a crucial one.

No.

Unless you count the time I couldn't get more fried chicken when I was a kid...

:ugly:
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

sunlight

Quote from: taco_harvell on July 08, 2018, 08:02:33 AMDefine Physical pain:

Define emotional pain:

Doing a little research for something I'm working on. Thanks for helping!

Physical pain- pain that is gelt physically.

Emotional pain- pain that is felt emotionally- but can be deep enough and strong enough to be felt physically as well.

They defiantly effect each other. In my experience- there is a lot of physical pain that is caused by emotional pain not being taken care of properly- for example chest pain from stress, stomach pains from bad news... etc.

I have such a bad memory- my oldest memories are ones that have been retold and remembered by that retelling. But your long term memory is triggered by some sort of emotional event- and it does usually involve pain- either of the physical or emotional sort. I asked the three people I was with- one remembered being left alone in a hospital when 5 (emotional trigger), ones earliest memory was when her mom pretended to play dead and she called 911 (another emotional trigger) and one remembered when she bit her dad when she was 3, and he bit her back (physical pain trigger).
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

taco_harvell

Thanks to all who have posted! It is a great help!

I have another question...

I've had family and friends who lost limbs. An uncle and a family friend both lost both legs from the knee down. I was with them on different occasions and literally saw these men in tears because ''My feet won't stop hurting!''. My great-uncle could never get his feet warm. The only thing that helped him was to put his prosthetics on and place several blankets over them.

I knew these men well, the pain they felt was clearly real. Was this an emotional source of pain or a physical source?

I myself have a wisdom tooth that was removed when I was 16, and there are times it hurts so bad that I'd promise it was still there.

How would you classify such pain?

Have you experienced this or know someone who has?

Lynx

Well I've never had anything amputated so I don't know this from personal experience - but I hear it is because nerves that used to go to the amputated part are now getting signals from some other part of the body and interpreting it as coming from the amputated part.

I know of this one guy who had a leg amputated, and the missing leg would sometimes itch. There are few things worse than a bad itch in a place you can't scratch... and how do you scratch an itch on a leg that isn't there? Sometimes he couldn't sleep because it was itching so bad. Finally one day he was talking to another amputee who told him he had the same problem, and how to solve it. "Take all your clothes off, start at your feet... er, foot, and scratch every inch of your body until you find that place that is really itching. Then you will know where that place is, and when your missing leg starts itching you can scratch that spot."

Well the next night he couldn't sleep for the itching, he did that. And he found the spot on the right side of his ribs, and he finally scratched that itch that his body thought was in the missing leg.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

EricShane

I'm going to have to give a short answer, i dont have time.

But so many people abuse pain pills, not because they have physical pain.. But to cover up emotional pain.
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Scott

Ahh yes, Pain. My daily companion!   I do not like him at all.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle