News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Question about Asa, King of Judah, parentage

Started by World Traveler, May 31, 2014, 01:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

I noticed this today while reading and was hoping some of you biblical scholars could help me understand what is going on.

1 Kings 15:1-2 tells us that Abijam, son of Rehoboam (1 Kings 14:31), began to reign over Judah. His mother's name was Maachah, the daugher of Abishalom
1 Kings 15:8-10 tells us that Asa, son of Abijam, began to reign over Judah. His mother's name was Maachah, the daughter of Abishalom.

At first when I read this and realized they had they same mother I thought, "Oh, they must have been brothers", but it clearly states that Asa is the son of Abijam.

Did Abijam have relations with his own mother that ended up in the birth of Asa or is there more to the story in historical context that is not brought out in the biblical passage? Any insights?
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Chseeads

I don't know....in II Chronicles it says his mother is Michaiah the daughter of Uriel of Gibeah. 

I are confused also.  :ugly:

Chseeads

Looking online some stuff says Maachah was a Queen Mother of sorts and was Asa's grandmother....

And she was the granddaughter of Abishalom (Absolom)....Uriel being her father.