News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Gift Ideas

Started by Lynx, December 01, 2012, 07:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

What are some neat things you've found for gift ideas this year?

I'll re-input mine after work tonight.  Gotta go.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

The Purple Fuzzy

Chseeads

Lynx

Well it was a "Gift ideas" thread, but nobody was participating.  I guess everyone else didn't dare post anything for fear of word getting out. 

But as soon as I change it to "Null" everyone chips in.   ???
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Chseeads

We're all too poor to buy gifts. 

But we can all contribute to nothing.

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Psalm_97 on December 13, 2012, 06:38:09 AM
Well it was a "Gift ideas" thread, but nobody was participating.  I guess everyone else didn't dare post anything for fear of word getting out. 

But as soon as I change it to "Null" everyone chips in.   ???

I've never seen anything in this thread except the word "null".
How was I supposed to know what it was originally?
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Lynx

Use your sixth sense.  If you don't have one, you can borrow one of mine - at last count I had eight.
"Do you sing at church?"

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Melody

I didn't see the thread before.  I'd participate in it about presents though.

I am at a bit of a loss actually.  Nathan is going to get his minister's license in April if all goes well and he would like a Bible that he can have as His main sermon Bible.  ???  I'm not sure what that would be except I know he doesn't want another study Bible, but he does want it to have enough margin room to make notes/references in.  LOL  There are SO many kinds of Bibles.  I have NO clue.

Lynx

Thompson Chain Reference Bible is the one a lot of ministers really really (really really REALLY) like.  Me, I just use Esword.  But then, Esword doesn't work so well unless there's electricity - can't use it on the road unless the computer battery is charged or you can find a power outlet.  Thompson is probably the way to go.

I'll change the topic back.
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

We have one of those.  After posting that, I decided I need to ask some others too.   This is what he's wanting I think.  A Cambridge wide margined Bible.

I'm thinking he's going to have to wait.  lol

Scott

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 13, 2012, 05:53:41 PM

I am at a bit of a loss actually.  Nathan is going to get his minister's license in April if all goes well and he would like a Bible that he can have as His main sermon Bible.  ???  I'm not sure what that would be except I know he doesn't want another study Bible, but he does want it to have enough margin room to make notes/references in.  LOL  There are SO many kinds of Bibles.  I have NO clue.

I use the Thompson's Chain Reference, in fact there is a loose leaf version of the Thompson. It is really cool, you can insert your notes right into the bible.

Another that I use is the Truth Bible (a PAW pastor did this version) Really nice.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

SippinTea

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 13, 2012, 05:53:41 PM

Ha! I was just going to post "buy him a Cambridge wide margin Bible!" .... and then I see you already found it. ;) Unless they've brought out something new since I worked at the bookstore, this is really the ONLY thing that fits the needs/wishes/wants you've mentioned. The other reason I highly recommend Cambridge Bibles is that the quality is seriously HUGELY different than literally every other Bible manufacturer on the market. Depending how careful he is with his Bible, these Bibles can last nearly a lifetime (no joke) and the longest I've ever heard another type of Bible last is 20-30 years MAX. Most of the time we rated even genuine leather Bibles as 15-20 yr Bibles.

Just in case you needed another vote. ;)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

SippinTea

P.S. I know they're a lot of money, but it's totally worth the investment. Really. I'm not just saying that as someone who used to sell Bibles, I'm saying that as a Cambridge Bible owner. :)

Melody

Thank you Ruby.  That does help a lot.  I think I'm going to have to save up.  They are less as used on Amazon but I don't want someone else's notes or name in there.  He said he'd like this to be the one he passes down to one of the kids.

Maybe I can get it by April when he goes before the board.

On other gifts, I got books for my sister's kids!  Her twin boys are about to be 4 and have virtually NO books because she thinks they'll tear them up.  She's not a sit down and read mama.  She's a have the TV/movie on 24/7 and sometimes snuggle with them during that.  I'm learning how much reading brings a peace just by having that simple discipline to sit and read.  So I got them board books, one of which has flaps.  Hopefully they will enjoy them and not tear them up or if they do tear them up, perhaps it will still bring enough joy that they have a positive take on books and reading. They are in preschool.

The other book I got my niece is:

She's in 4th grade and it is a thick book that contains 3 stories.

Chseeads

Quote from: SippinTea on December 14, 2012, 01:53:29 AM
P.S. I know they're a lot of money, but it's totally worth the investment. Really. I'm not just saying that as someone who used to sell Bibles, I'm saying that as a Cambridge Bible owner. :)

She's not just the hair club president, she's also a client.....

SippinTea

CheeseHead, you're weird. But it's okay. We still like you. Most of the time. :P

Melodya, you can always use a coupon (even on a special order) if you have a Family Christian Store near you.

Lynx

Quote from: Chseeads on December 14, 2012, 04:43:23 AM
Quote from: SippinTea on December 14, 2012, 01:53:29 AM

She's not just the hair club president, she's also a client.....
Odd, I was thinking that too. 
"Do you sing at church?"

SippinTea

*laugh* I have no idea what you two crazies are talking about.

Lynx

Reposting what I originally posted in the first post of this thread...

Torani syrup is a great flavoring.  I get my grandma six bottles of sugar free vanilla every year (two 3-packs.) 
My niece is a good cook, and one year I got her a six-pack assorted.  She had to get both of us a teaspoon and try all six flavors on the spot.   :updown:
http://www.amazon.com/Torani-Variety-Regular-25-4-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B003PFWNSE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355465615&sr=8-5&keywords=torani
This is the stuff that good coffee shops keep on hand.  It is very strong.

Aunt Diane likes chocolate, and more importantly she is able to appreciate good quality chocolate, and Lake Champlain Chocolates makes some of *THE BEST* chocolate ever.  Their dark chocolate sampler is a good deal.
http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/dark-chocolate-gift.html
I just have one problem.  The box arrived a while ago, Christmas is a ways away, and the chocolate is calling to me...   :-\

If you have a friend who, every time he comes to visit, asks for "just half a cup of coffee" get him this.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/98434219/two-you-asked-for-half-a-cup-of-coffee?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=CNCyjYekmbQCFemiPAodHD4A3A
My parents were friends with this husband and wife who came over to play Rook all the time.  He always asked for a half cup of coffee, so she finally got him one.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

A good gift for the recipient to hang up at the office.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whatever-Im-Late-Anyway-Wall-Clock-Novelty-Gag-Office-Kitchen-Decor-GIFT-/150876147038?pt=US_Clocks&hash=item2320eb4d5e
I got one for Mom.  No, she's not habitually late.  But she has a good sense of humor and I think she'll like it a lot.
"Do you sing at church?"

Chseeads

Quote from: SippinTea on December 14, 2012, 06:27:14 AM
*laugh* I have no idea what you two crazies are talking about.

It's an old commercial for the Hair Club for Men, a hair restoration thingy, whatever you want to call it....  And the guy that's narrating the commercial says that statement about not just being the president, but also a client.  Like you said not just a Bible seller, but also an owner.   

It was just along the same lines and made that pop into my head, and apparently WC's as well.  :P

kkay

I like getting my nephews t-shirts or jeans for Christmas, mom - we usually do something special (last year we got her a signed picture of Sam Elliott - her absolute favorite actor of all time) this year we got mom a photo album made online. It's more of a book really...sister: perfume, brother: gift card, boyfriend: either money or something electronic.

SippinTea

Isaac, my boys got my parents Torani syrup for Christmas. My mom and dad both drink coffee, but they like it different ways, so we figured this way they can add flavor in whatever form of coffee they wish.