News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

autism

Started by myhaloisintheshop, April 27, 2010, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myhaloisintheshop

Does anyone here know anyone that has an autistic child or has experience with autism or aspbergers syndrome? 

Dylan was diagnosed recently with high functioning autism.  Ive been reading whatever books I can get my hands on.  Im interested in finding a forum or blog that I can relate to.  Most of what I find deals with children on the severe end of the spectrum.

Heather

i have a pretty close friend who has aspbergers. he's very high functioning, just sometimes his filter doesn't work from his brain to his mouth and completely random inner dialog comes forth. [and sometimes it's things we really don't want/need to hear.]

not sure if it helps or not, but that's all i know.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

myhaloisintheshop

sounds like my son...lol

His filter is non existant most of the time.  He's 8 and I really want to find resourses to help him learn control. 

He has MAJOR social anxiety and we are working on that--but Im not experienced in this type of thing. I wish I had ideas and ways to help him so that its not SUCH an issue as he gets older.

As he gets older Im sure he's going to have a harder time.

Heather

Justin is almost 22. when i first met him years ago, no one told me and i thought he was just a rude, obnoxious 18 year old. once his sister finally told me, all was well. he wanted to hide it, but once some of us knew about it, it wasn't a big deal. just be open with people. sadly though sometimes he uses it as an excuse to get away with whatever. there is a line there, i just don't know where it is.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Melody

I just seen this in the news Sarah about the same condition and a testimony.  

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/hang-10-dude-10494484

myhaloisintheshop

That's an awesome story.

We just want to learn to "steer" Dylan so that he IS successful.  He excels in so many things that I hope he finds a true passion for something and is happy doing what he loves. 

Roxie

That video was great to watch... It is amazing at how some children with Autism excel in a few things or even one.  I remember watching something years ago about a young boy that has Autism that painted and his paintings were amazing. 

My assistant pastor's son is autistic.  Right now, he told me that his son's main focus is on Cheetahs.  He said that most autistic ppl focus on one thing and focus passionately.

A great way to learn is to read... so here are a few sites and forums if you haven't already found them...

http://www.autismbloggers.com/ This blogger site has 22+ sites from parents that blog and they have autistic children. 

http://autismfamiily.blogspot.com/A single parent of two autistic children.

http://www.autism-pdd.net/forum/default.asp

http://autismforum.net/forums/news.php

I love the internet for being so full of information.. Hope some of these links help you out! :)

Some people make things happen, some watch while things happen, and some wonder \"What happened?\"

Which type of person are you?

myhaloisintheshop

My problem is that Dylan is so high functioning that I can't relate to a lot of the stories I see.  (I haven't looked at your links yet Roxie)

Dylan is fasinated with sea life right now.  He loves to learn about it.  One night we were at a hotel and he got sooooo into animal planet.  He didn't want to leave the room!  It got to meltdown status.   It makes me glad we don't have satellite because it would be too much for him..lol

He doesn't do anything odd other than he takes everything literally.  In the van a minute ago I said "Good gravy!" and he said..mom...why do you always talk about gravy?  We are driving and its not even time to eat!

:laughhard:

Oh...and he has communication issues.  He doesn't like to talk to many people and can't carry on a conversation well at all.  Its like its all trapped and jumbled up in his mind and he can't get it out.   BUT when he does get on a subject he can't get off of it.   He says inappropriate things a lot. 

He is a homebody and loves to be inside with video games.  Right now we are trying to get him out more.  He bought a slingshot on Saturday so that is his current obsession...lol   

Chseeads

He sounds a lot like me.  LOL

Melody

What did high functioning austistics do before it was labeled? Before we were a society of labels?  It took a good mama to be in tune with her children to recognize their needs, pray about it, seek out ideas, and guide her children the best she could.  Perhaps Einstein and others were this way and it led to being a genius in a subject?  Who else has that much discipline?!

myhaloisintheshop

They actually say that Einstein had Asperger like traits.

Clint and I have talked a lot about how things will change--they really won't.  We have tuned in way before we knew there was a label and helped him work through a lot of things.  We will do what we have always done!!  Now there may be places where we can get ideas to help broaden how we help him but really--not much changes other than we are more patient with things we thought he was being defiant over..lol

I read a book last week and a woman with autism was asked if Autism could be cured would she want it to be.  She said no.  She was of the opinion that there are too many wonderful things that people with this condition DO for it to be cured.     I tend to agree.

Seth...funny you should say that...lol  I thought of you when I was reading another book about a life story  of a man as a kid with undiagnosed aspbergers.  IT was hilarious but the way his mind worked was a lot like you (and Dylan...lol)

myhaloisintheshop

:o  I just saw a bird farm in Dylan's future!
:o :o :o

SippinTea

With his interest in sea life, I'm thinking he may end up a vet for porpoises. ;)

I've had several autistic kiddos in my Sunday school classes and such. Most of them were NOT high-functioning, and it was a real challenge to keep them interested while keeping the class as a whole headed the right direction. :o ;) Looking at the extreme behavior issues I was dealing with and whatnot, I think most of them had been horrifically abused, and the compounded problems made them act, well, insane sometimes. Dylan just sounds like the average hyperactive, low-attention span, obsessive interest boys I usually have.  :lol:

*Hugs* to Dylan and his mama.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Chseeads

Quote from: myhaloisintheshop on May 04, 2010, 03:43:15 AM
:o  I just saw a bird farm in Dylan's future!
:o :o :o

You should bring him to visit during summer vacation and I can help him get started.  LOL

:P