News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Payment from potential client overseas

Started by SippinTea, January 30, 2009, 02:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SippinTea

Scenario:
I've got a potential client that contacted me from Ireland. He's sending his son to the States for a holiday and wants me to provide some intensive music studies for his son while he's here. I plan to require half the tuition in advance, and half the payment a few weeks into the program.

Question:
How do I safely receive payment from someone overseas? I've been hearing a lot of horror stories lately. And since this is a complete stranger, I don't trust them an inch.  :smirk2:

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Sis

Tell them to send American funds only with the kid and he can pay you before you start. Insist he pay the rest in American funds only, too. They can do it easily enough. They could send all the money with the kid and he can pay you before you start and the rest of it after a couple of weeks. Or they can send the money to him and he can get it in cash for you. Since he will be in the States, it shouldn't be too difficult for him.

SippinTea

I wish it were that simple.

But since they are wanting intensive training (not the usual lessons I offer) it will require additional materials that I do not keep stocked at my studio. That's why I'm going to require partial tuition in advance. I'm not keen on the idea of being stuck with curriculum package that was tailor-made for one teenage student.

Tricia Lea

I have recieved a few international payments by pay pal a few years back on my old ebay acct. It was pretty much hastle free.  you could check it out. Was some fees not sure but you will get that anytime you are exchanging currincies

www.paypal.com

Sis

If you haven't had any trouble with Paypal you're one of the lucky ones. Not everyone has it that easy with them and getting their money in cash. If you leave it in the account and spend it through them, it's a little easier, but not if you want the cash. Not for everyone, that is.

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: SippinTea on January 30, 2009, 03:16:12 AM
I wish it were that simple.

But since they are wanting intensive training (not the usual lessons I offer) it will require additional materials that I do not keep stocked at my studio. That's why I'm going to require partial tuition in advance. I'm not keen on the idea of being stuck with curriculum package that was tailor-made for one teenage student.

Have them buy their own supplies, like you would for college.  Send them the link if you need to, so they will get the right stuff.

Brother Dad

Quote from: SippinTea on January 30, 2009, 02:57:59 AM
Scenario:
I've got a potential client that contacted me from Ireland. He's sending his son to the States for a holiday and wants me to provide some intensive music studies for his son while he's here. I plan to require half the tuition in advance, and half the payment a few weeks into the program.

Question:
How do I safely receive payment from someone overseas? I've been hearing a lot of horror stories lately. And since this is a complete stranger, I don't trust them an inch.  :smirk2:

They bring cash.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

titushome

I've never had a bit of trouble with Paypal - inlcuding getting my cash from them.  On numerous occasions I've transferred hundreds of dollars from my Paypal account to my bank account, with never a hiccup.  There's usually a delay of a few days, but that's no biggie.

I recommend that as one potential way to go.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

Tricia Lea

Another idea. Check with your bank and see what they reccomend

I have never had trouble with pay pal myself. yes it might take 3-4 days to transfer money to your bank but it gets done, at least for me

MelodyB

Quote from: Brother Dad on January 30, 2009, 02:18:51 PM
Scenario:

Question:

They bring cash.

She explained that they cant do that cause she has to buy the materials up front, BEFORE the student gets to the states. Otherwise, she may be stuck with supplies she doesnt need right now, and money spent that she cant afford to spend.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sis

Back to what I said in the first place. Tell them to send American funds. But asking your bank would be a pretty good idea.

Brother Dad

Yeah I would agree with asking your bank how to handle it.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

iridiscente

RainbowJingles

I agree with the "buy your own supplies" approach.

For the record, Ruby, how did you make this contact?  It REALLY smells phishy to me.

SippinTea

It was from my ad on Craigslist... which is why I was wary of it myself.

I chatted with a gal at my bank about the scenario. She said to go with a moneygram, because I'd have the money immediately and although he would pay an extra fee to send it from his end, it wouldn't be much, and it's the best way to protect myself. She also said that a fav trick of scammers is to 'accidently' send too much money, ask the other person to refund the excess amt. So she told me to go ahead and tell him to use a moneygram, but then report it if he sends too much, and (obviously) not try to send any money back.

RainbowJingles

:smirk2:
My advice would be to pray about it, then.  Really sounds strange.

You may also want to google his email address and see if anyone has any warning words about this person.

iridiscente

Someone gave me a blanket with my name spelled "Adinna" instead of "Adina." I thought it would be nice to give it to someone who actually had that name. I mailed it to someone in Indonesia yesterday. :chairspin:

Gingerale

so, I am nosy... how did all this pan out?

Scott

Scenario:

Question:

I deal with this every day at work.

1.) Cash up front is always the best way to do it.

However

2.) A letter of Credit is a safe way if they need performance on your end.  Your bank can walk you through how to do it. Basically you do not perform the service until they provide a letter of credit which will guarantee payment upon completion of the task. You want a non revokable letter of credit.  Again your bank can walk  you through it.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

SippinTea

Thanks for the info, Scott. :)

Ginger, I didn't take it. I just felt uneasy about the whole thing, so I went with my hunch.

RainbowJingles

Good for you, Ruby.  It sounded quite strange to me, too.

Sis

Sometimes hunches are God's way of nudging you. Glad you went with it and stayed out of a potentially pain-in-the-neck situation.

seguidordejesus

Quote from: iridiscente on February 06, 2009, 09:33:44 PM
Someone gave me a blanket with my name spelled "Adinna" instead of "Adina." I thought it would be nice to give it to someone who actually had that name. I mailed it to someone in Indonesia yesterday. :chairspin:
:pound: :pound:

iridiscente

Quote from: seguidordejesus on March 25, 2009, 05:19:24 PM
Quote from: iridiscente on February 06, 2009, 09:33:44 PM

RainbowJingles

:o

*calls 911 to report domestic violence*