News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Last person to post round 18!

Started by MelodyB, February 01, 2012, 06:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe

Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

Well you don't have to make up stuff about him not liking apple pie, because he's already convicted himself by admitting to not liking chocolate gravy.  That right there is sufficient indictment.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

Most folks around here have never heard of chocolate gravy.

Lynx

And I learned yesterday there are some people who don't know any pudding but instant pudding.

*shudder*
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

Maybe how so many people stay so slim these days.  If you don't have any GOOD food, there's no temptation to overeat. 

Maybe that's what I should do, go on a canned soup diet.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

Yea, verily.  Which is why I'd lose weight on it.   :mad:
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Melody

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on December 04, 2012, 05:40:38 PMMost folks around here have never heard of chocolate gravy.

I feel so validated.  You are in the south and it's not a big deal there.  It is just what it says, chocolate gravy.  From what I've had, it's not awful but I'll never have a reason or inkling to make it.  If I want chocolate pudding, I'll do that, if I want gravy, I'll do that.  The two aren't great together.

The Purple Fuzzy

lol  I guess, it needs to be a family tradition or something for folks to think it's a big deal. ;)

Melody

The Purple Fuzzy

Seems like the folks that like chocolate gravy like it because it was a special tradition from their childhood or something.

Melody

Lynx

I don't know about most people, but for me it was no special tradition.  Just one of the foods we have here that I like. 

Along with fried okra, cheese grits, buttermilk biscuits and a lot of other stuff those yankees miss out on.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Well I'm no Yankee by any stretch of the imagination but I don't do fried okra or grits.

Lynx

No grits, I can understand - many do not like grits.  But why in the world would anybody not like fried okra?  The mind boggles...
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on December 05, 2012, 08:16:29 AM
No grits, I can understand - many do not like grits.  But why in the world would anybody not like fried okra?  The mind boggles...
Well....boggled mind it is. I HATE fried okra, squash, or just about any other fried vegetable, excepting fried green tomatoes. I can handle them in small doses..
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Melody

Quote from: Roscoe on December 05, 2012, 12:35:01 PM
Quote from: Psalm_97 on December 05, 2012, 08:16:29 AM
Well....boggled mind it is. I HATE fried okra, squash, or just about any other fried vegetable, excepting fried green tomatoes. I can handle them in small doses..

lol  same here.  I cannot for the life of me, understand what is appealing about the tasteless slimy okra?  I'm convinced it's more about the breading... on all of those things. 

Grits are ok.  But I'd never choose to make or eat them unless I was at someone's house to not be rude.  I make beautiful buttermilk biscuits.  It's hard to mess those up though.

Nothern foods I don't hear many southerners mention are the various beans/lentils in soups, pastas, pastries, and cheeses.  My friend makes a practically famous dish at the holidays.  It's a corn casserole with gouda cheese.  The more north you get, the more breads and cheeses there are.  Strudel is to die for.

:proudYankee:   :fork:

The Purple Fuzzy

Melody

Technically, I was born in Colorado, so what does that make me?  Is anyone that's not in the south from Texas & east, Yankees?

The Purple Fuzzy

Colorado wouldn't be Yankee.  Not sure what but not Yankee. lol

MelodyB

I love grits, fried okra, squash, fried green tomatoes. Okra and squash are good not being fried. I am a good southren girl. There isn't many beans or veggies that I won't eat.

I enjoy a good pot a beans with ham and cornbread with a side of fresh onion and a tall glass of buttermilk.

:fork:
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Lynx

About the qualities of being a yankee:  Anyone to the north of the person speaking is a yankee to the person speaking.  I believe I've already mentioned the two cowboys in San Antonio, who were talking about Dallas:  "Naw, I've never been up there.  I can't stand them yankees."

So to Mel, people in Birmingham are yankees.   :updown:
"Do you sing at church?"