News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

California's Proposition 8

Started by titushome, November 21, 2008, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

titushome

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/21/us/21marriage.html?th&emc=th

Quotes from the article, with comments:

"When the California Supreme Court begins weighing arguments over same-sex marriage — again — in December, some 18,000 such marriages could hang in the balance. Opponents of such unions also have high stakes, having spent countless hours, and nearly $40 million, to pass Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage and is under review by the court. And the justices could lose out, too; some are already being threatened with being voted out of office if they rule Proposition 8 is unconstitutional." (emphasis added)

WHOA - hold on just a minute!  The court gets to decide whether a constitutional amendment is unconstitutional?  I'm literally shaking in my shoes.  This would be judicial tyranny at its worst: if the courts get to decide not only how to interpret the (State of California) Constitution, but they also whether and how the Constitution can be altered.

"The central issue is whether California voters — who have repeatedly used ballot measures to rewrite state law — overstepped their bounds by passing Proposition 8, which added 14 words to the California Constitution stating that only male-female marriage would be 'valid or recognized.' Opponents of the measure say it amounts to a major revision of the Constitution, not an amendment, and thus would require legislative approval."

The best word to describe this is a word that I refuse to use.  This "major revision" versus "amendment" business is utterly illegitimate, utter nonsense, utter... I won't say it.

"Proposition 8 passed with 52 percent of the vote, setting off protests in California and around the nation. Some supporters of same-sex marriage have called for "cooler heads" of the court to prevail on the issue, as Dennis Herrera, the city attorney of San Francisco, said shortly after the decision to take the case was announced."

Oh, the irony.  "Supporters... want 'cooler heads' to prevail" - yet who is it that's protesting here?  Would there have been "protests in California and around the nation" had the proposition failed?

This is so infuriating - politically, and morally.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

World Traveler

These people want other people to honor a vote if it goes THEIR way. But if it doesn't, they treat it like a hate crime and take it to court. GAG!
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Brother Dad

We are so close to looking at the citizens of this country and saying it does not matter what you vote for.  We will do what ever we like.  The voice of the majority is getting quieter every day. 
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

RainbowJingles

I actually just mentioned this in the sharing thread.

A few weeks after the election, I saw a candlelight vigil at the train station with maybe a dozen or 20 people.  Some were holding candles, and others were holding signs that said "Vote No on 8."  I was like "How ludicrous.  The election/vote is over!"  But then I started reading the news.  Oh my STARS!  *shaking my head*  It's just crazy.

Nelle

Curious if anyone saw the video a friend of mine and I saw of a protest for this proposition. An elderly lady had walked up to/on a protest and was holding a cross. If what I remember is correct, the cross was yanked from the lady and stomped on...

... Hmm.

dnr1128

Didn't see it, but not surprising.  The kingdom of queerdom preaches tolerance, but can't seem to tolerate anybody who disagrees with them. 

The people of California voted to amend their constitution.  That's their right.  If the gays don't like that, they can move. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Sis

Don't you know that nowdays tolerance means full acceptance?  UGHHHHHH

dnr1128

Gays aren't accepting of people who disagree with them.  :)
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

RainbowJingles

I find that is *often* the case, but that's a very large blanket statement to make, isn't it, David?

dnr1128

It is indeed a generalization, and as all generalizations, there are exceptions.  However, the exceptions to that statement are vastly fewer than the opposite situation.  For every Westboro freak, there are a hundred homosexuals forcefeeding the American public a diet of their lifestyle.   Read http://politicalvindication.com/?p=3157 ; Imagine the outcry if that behavior was against the gays instead of coming from them. 

RainbowJingles

*ugh*

I just drove through that district a couple weeks ago.  The Castro is a place of spiritual depravity.  TRULY a modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah.  It makes my spirit heavy to think about this city.

Jesus, help this area!!

Sis

I was wondering if we ever got attacked again, would it be California?  Between SF and Hollywood there isn't much sanity around.  The Muslims think we're all that way and the whole country is spiritually  bankrupt

dnr1128

What's sad is that most people in other parts of the world think that all of America is like that...and we're not.  95% of Americans are good, honest, hard-working people. 

titushome

Quote from: Sis on November 24, 2008, 06:53:28 AM
I was wondering if we ever got attacked again, would it be California?  Between SF and Hollywood there isn't much sanity around.  The Muslims think we're all that way and the whole country is spiritually  bankrupt

Quote from: dnr1128 on November 24, 2008, 05:35:52 PM
What's sad is that most people in other parts of the world think that all of America is like that...and we're not.  95% of Americans are good, honest, hard-working people. 

Well, they're good, honest, hard-working people who pay good money to consume all the filth produced by Hollywood.

So by partaking of it most Americans are, in a way, "like that" - even though they aren't the ones producing it.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

dnr1128

Melody

Dr.Phil had a show to discuss both sides and it was fruitless.  They pointed out the violence and hatefulness on both sides.  If ever asked, in particular about tolerance and "equal rights", my answer is ready.....

Equal rights is based on an assertion that homosexuality is not only ok but good.  With that reasoning, child molesters and beastialitors can call for "equal rights" to do what they want with not only tolerance but benefits.  Because it hasn't, doesn't, and won't stop with the tolerance of it but the call for indoctrination of innocent children to emotionally and spiritually damage them in the matter to further pervert the next generation.  And that makes it harmful to others outside homosexual relationships.  It (the facade of equal rights) forces it into my home through media, social persecution, and the school/work enviroment. 

or something to that effect.

Melody

seems there isn't much tolerance for one who believes they or their children shouldn't be subject to gay propaganda.

RainbowJingles

The whole thought of overturning the vote just makes me...

:flamingmad:

titushome

Quote from: RainbowJingles on November 24, 2008, 11:55:45 PM
The whole thought of overturning the vote just makes me...

:flamingmad:

And that's really the main gist of this thread - the abuse of power by the American court system.  And it's an abuse that seems to just keep growing.
- Augustine

bishopnl

At the establishment of our constitutions, the judiciary bodies were supposed to be the most helpless and harmless members of the government. Experience, however, soon showed in what way they were to become the most dangerous; that the insufficiency of the means provided for their removal gave them a freehold and irresponsibility in office; that their decisions, seeming to concern individual suitors only, pass silent and unheeded by the public at large; that these decisions, nevertheless, become law by precedent, sapping, by little and little, the foundations of the constitution, and working its change by construction, before any one has perceived that that invisible and helpless worm has been busily employed in consuming its substance. In truth, man is not made to be trusted for life, if secured against all liability to account.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Monsieur A. Coray, Oct 31, 1823
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

titushome

Mr. Jefferson was absolutely correct.
- Augustine

dnr1128