News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

What Coach Says, What Coach Means

Started by Newsman, December 03, 2007, 11:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newsman

What Coach Said, What Coach Meant

Over the years as a sports broadcaster doing interviews with coaches, you learn a few things.
   Whoever said that phys ed majors were dumb obviously never drew up brackets for a 12-team double elimination boys and girls basketball tournament.
   You also find that coaches must have had a hidden track of courses in college, including Sandbagging 101, Intermediate Sandbagging, Advanced Sandbagging, and Sandbagging practicum, because, as we all know, practice makes perfect.
   Each coach also has that way of saying one thing but meaning another, when giving an interview concerning a weaker team they are expected to beat. So, look at a few examples below of what coach says, and what coach means.

What Coach Says: They've got a lot of athletes at the skill positions
What Coach Means: They just don't know how to play those positions

What Coach Says: They've got a couple of really good athletes.
What Coach Means: They're really bad, but I'm not giving any locker posting material

What Coach Says: They will come to play, I'll guarantee you that!
What Coach Means: Actually, we could start our cheerleaders and spot them a field    goal, and I'd still like our chances of beating them!

Finally, inspired from comments from OU Coach Bob Stoops to the media a few years ago: "We've got a chance to be pretty good this season."
What He could Have Said: We're expected to be in the hunt for the championship, but there's no way I'm going to say it!

John Yates
McAlester Radio