News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Sound drivers

Started by Scott, May 28, 2007, 06:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

After a long weekend of computer repair
(someone downloaded Yahoo toolbar and lots of spyware. My firewall got hijacked and someone downloaded a trojan (20 of them to boot) that I got all cleaned up.

I re downloaded my sound drivers and it worked for 30 minutes. My kid got on it again and promptly lost the driver again.

I reinstalled and re updated the drivers and still do not have sound.

any suggestions?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

RandyWayne

Well, it always pays to start with the obvious questions such as:  Have you gone into control panel (Sound and Audio Devices icon) and checked to make sure that the mute button was unchecked or that the volume slider was up?  Quite a bit of software I've run into likes to change those settings.

Another obvious one is:  When you go into Device Manager and check out the Sound and Video Game Controllers option, do all the drivers appear to be there and working?

Ashlee

The only suggestion I could give you is not to call a DELL technician to help you.

Scott

Quote from: RandyWayne on May 28, 2007, 06:31:31 PM
Well, it always pays to start with the obvious questions such as:  Have you gone into control panel (Sound and Audio Devices icon) and checked to make sure that the mute button was unchecked or that the volume slider was up?  Quite a bit of software I've run into likes to change those settings.

Yup - that is the first thing I did

QuoteAnother obvious one is:  When you go into Device Manager and check out the Sound and Video Game Controllers option, do all the drivers appear to be there and working?

did that...

updated all drivers too

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

On-board or add-on sound card?
Move along, nothing to see here.

RandyWayne

I am wondering if it may be a DirectX issue. 

Scott

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on May 28, 2007, 08:27:41 PM
On-board or add-on sound card?

not an add on

ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

Quote from: RandyWayne on May 28, 2007, 09:11:27 PM
I am wondering if it may be a DirectX issue. 

I wondered that myself, but I cannot find a conflict

The Never Ending Battle