News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Colic or Gassy Babies

Started by JuJu03, May 31, 2007, 04:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuJu03

Kimberly has found a WONDEFUL site for help with babies that suffer from this.  My little guy has painful gas that wakes him up and gives him terrible tummy aches.  This method has worked wonders on him.  Just wanted to share

www.babycolic.com

Feeding: :popcorn:

1. Maintain a 60 degree upright position during all feedings.  There are a lot of ways to do this, just be creative.

2. Massage the stomach and small intestine area just below the navel during feeding to reduce the trapping of gas.  My theory is that in these babies, the digestive system, especially the two sphincters (See digestion process page) is not fully developed and the fluid gets forced through them by the baby's pushing.  The milk  goes right through the stomach, past the pyloric sphincter and into the small intestine before it should.  Instead of slowly draining from the stomach into the small intestine, allowing the gas to sort itself out in the stomach, the gas and fluid combination drop right into the small intestine, a very bad environment for sorting out gas, with all it's twists and turns. The idea is to break up the gas bubbles using massage, before they get too far into the intestine.  By doing this, you allow larger bubbles to form, which are much more likely to return to the surface in the stomach and then exit via a burp.  Without this breaking up process, the gas bubbles have to go somewhere.  If they don't exit from the mouth in a burp, then they pass through the small intestines, large intestines and colon before exiting in a series of forced emissions through the anus.  Basically you're attacking the problem at the source before it starts the cycle of pain.  

3. Don't overfeed.  When in doubt, underfeed.  Keep feeling the stomach during feeding.  In my case I was able to feel the bubbles forming and was able to break many of them up as they formed. You also do not want to feed to the point where the stomach is completely full and swollen.  A swollen belly signals the baby to start pushing.  Go for a 3/4 full belly, even if the baby still wants the bottle.  You may have more frequent feedings at first, but it was our experience that the savings in energy lost to crying and pain resulted in a longer time between feedings.  

4. More frequent feedings are recommended as opposed to larger feedings.  If the baby is supposed to take in 4 ounces per feeding (an arbitrary number by the way), 10 times a day, then try 2 ounces 14 times a day.  Colicky babies are often overfed because they are so anxious to eat.  We take that as a signal to feed more food and more often than is needed or helpful to the baby.  Don't fall into this trap.  As long as there is food in the baby's stomach, then it really doesn't matter how much you give the baby in a single feeding.  The body can only absorb at a certain pace.  Try to keep the baby's stomach between 15% and 75% full at all times.  (i.e. don't top off the tank)

5. Frequent burping (5 to 6 times) during the feeding.  Don't wait until the end.  By then the gas is already trapped in the small intestine.  Take the bottle out of the baby's mouth, even if it fusses.  Take charge and control of the feeding sessions.  The baby will soon get used to the new routine.

6. Avoid certain foods if feeding breast milk. My sister in law was a full-time breast feeder and had a baby with colic.  She said that when she removed dairy products from her diet the colic went away.  Many physicians and books will tell you to avoid caffeine, soda and other things.  We'll let them tell you what is best in this area.  Tell us what you've heard in the feedback section.

7. Use any methods available to reduce gas entry into the baby, from special bottles to frequent burping.  

8. Gas drops sometimes help, but are often too little, too late.  

9. Immediately after feeding is the most crucial time to prevent colic.  Be totally disciplined with this method and go right into positioning and monitoring after a feeding.  Any straining within 15 minutes after a feeding is generally inappropriate, so distract the baby with the patting process, even if you have to do it 10 to 15 times.  Don't let the baby get the upper hand.  Even if it looks like they are falling to sleep, then you see the straining start, pick the baby up, start the patting and prevent the colic.  You are used to losing control with a colic baby.  The Towle Method lets you take control back.

Positioning: :sleep:

. Right after a feeding, maintain the baby in at least a 60 degree upright position for at least 10 to 15 minutes and monitor your baby for stomach contractions by placing your hand gently on the baby's stomach and watching their face.  The best position for you, is to get in your bed or in a recliner in a sitting position with your back supported.  Bend your knees up so the baby is cradled facing toward you between your legs with it's head up toward your knees and its bottom resting on your lap.  The baby should be in a 60 degree head up position facing you. Let the feet bend off to one side or wherever they want.  

2. The moment your baby starts into a contraction, (you know the look by now...red face, tight fists, knees pulling up toward chest) stop the cycle by sitting the baby up and patting the baby firmly on the back.  Use your hand in a cupped position so it makes a popping sound on the babies back.  Keep your patting on the upper mid back.  It should make a pretty audible sound from across a room.  This will distract the baby and break the cycle of pain.  You may have to do this several times during the 10 to 15 minutes after feeding before the contractions will stop.  Don't give up.  The alternative is 2 to 3 hours of crying and the beginning of a long cycle.  I generally monitor the baby in the position described above. When the baby begins to contract, without changing my position, I re-position the baby to a side sitting position.  I cradle the chin with the point of the chin in the web between my thumb and first finger and use my right hand to pat the back.

3. Don't let the baby fool you.  The baby will appear to be sleeping like an angel, then it will suddenly start to contract and push.  Even if you think..."Oh, I'll let the baby sleep through it" ...don't do it.  Unless you pat the baby every time, the cycle will get out of control and you'll be sorry.

4. After about 15 to 30 minutes when the baby settles down and looks drowsy or unlikely to attempt another contraction, then place the baby back in their own bed.  At this point the stomach has adjusted to the new level of fullness.  Stay alert for another 10 minutes in the room or using a baby monitor.

5. In bed, a position halfway between sidelying and fully on the back is the best, using rolled blankets to keep the baby in position.  Also, raise the head of the crib 15 to 30 degrees to allow gravity to assist the digestive process.  I found that placing a rolled towel under the mattress of the crib gave me the desired elevation. Always use gravity to assist you.  

6. If possible, place baby in a smaller bassinet so the baby can press his/her feet against the base of the crib during attempts at bowel movements.  This will assist the baby in emitting the gas that does eventually come out.  Place a rolled blanket at the foot of the bed and position the baby with knees slightly bent and the feet against the rolled blanket.

7. You might think...that sure is a long process.  As opposed to...? 2 to 3 hrs of constant pain and crying?  An unhappy, fussy baby?  Relatively speaking, with this method you are relating to your baby, spending positive time, and generally there is little or no crying.  It does take some focus and a commitment by all caretakers to the method.  All I can tell you is that when it works, it is well worth the effort.

Managing Distress and crying babies: :cry2:

. When it comes to managing a baby's colic distress, the first step is to avoid letting the distress get out of hand.  When dealing with colic, you need to intervene BEFORE the baby starts crying, contracting and fisting.  As soon as the baby shows the initial signs (face tension, knees start to pull up, legs push out, hands start to clench) of a colic episode, go into action as shown below.  At first you may need to do the list of actions below several times in a row, every 2 or 3 minutes.  After you've done this over 2 or 3 days, the cycles will be easier to break.

2. When the baby goes into distress, address it immediately by sitting the baby fully upright with the head directly over the bottom.  Pat the baby firmly 10 to 15 times firmly on the back (Back should be covered, not bare).  Be firm and use a cupped hand.  To understand the hand position, place your hand under running water and cup your hand to hold the most water.  That is the position your hand will need to be in during the patting of the baby's back.  Give the baby a few moments to burp.  Then resume the patting.  Do this about 3 times, then place the baby in the position described in bold in #4 below.  

3. Let me define "patting".  You should be able to hear it clear across a room.  Your hand should go about 4 to 6 inches away from the back between pats.  The baby should physically move every time you pat.  Support the head during patting to prevent the head from bouncing around.  This is not a "rub" a "massage" or a "gentle pat". This is a firm pat that should cause significant vibration in the baby's body.  The baby is not being hurt if you use the cupped hand position.  

4. Sometimes the episodes of contraction are associated with the need to pass gas or poop.  In those cases, after you've done the patting, place the baby in the following position: Get in your bed or in a recliner in a sitting position with your back supported.  Bend your knees so the baby is cradled facing toward you between your legs with it's head up toward your knees and its bottom resting on your lap.  Let the feet bend off to one side or wherever they want.  Now, use both hands and hold the knees up toward the chest and to the side.  Just imagine you are constipated and on the toilet.  You place your feet firmly on the floor, bend over and push.  By holding the knees up, you give the baby better leverage to emit the gas or poop.  If gas comes out, you are right on target.  With all the crying gone now, you'll find that by paying attention, you can actually predict  with great accuracy whether  it is a poop strain or a fullness strain.  If the baby does not poop, let it stay in this position for a few moments and see if it quiets down.  

I hope this will help someone in need.....God Bless