News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Now's the Time for Sharing 509

Started by The Purple Fuzzy, April 02, 2018, 09:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsJennJenn

Leave in less than 24 hours for the BEACH!!!

Laundry is done.
Homework is done.
Packing is 50% done.

:clap:
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Nelle

I'd vote for an Arkansas State Red Wolves cap. They're just more tasteful. ;) LOL

Finished lunch. Ready for 4:30. I'm going to go scavenge my work city for some Rolo ice cream. I cannot find it at all in the town I live in. I checked every single store LOL. It's so gooooood.

Hopefully they are closing on my mamaw & papaw's house this week!! Praying and believing this chapter can be closed for my mom & aunt! Mamaw has been gone for about 10 years now I believe. Papaw a few years before her. It's beyond time for this home to become someone else's memory maker and for them to not have to keep paying for upkeep!

Nelle

Also.. when I said "work city" - that's a very very very very very very loosely usage of "city." LOL. I don't think there's even a population sign and it's technically a "village." Anna (where I live) is a little bigger than Goreville, but still not very large. :)

Roscoe

Another day down! Got to drool over my brother in law's new to him old truck (a 49 Chevy, for those wondering), then I came home and enjoyed a rare evening of sitting on y porch, reading a book and listening to my fountain.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

sunlight

Did your 3:00 appointment show?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

Yes. But God was merciful. He walked in and told me he was moving back to Russellville. Transfer was denied before he got out the door. :lol:
 And morning all. I'm in a lazy mood. Trying to find just the right soundtrack for my day. Hinsons? Petra? Blues? Or old country that I shouldn't listen to? I can't do Bluegrass today. It's too happy sounding and this early in the morning I'll kill someone for being that cheery.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Heather

Day off, which means house cleaning. That's made complicated by a grumbly husband who procrastinated his grad school homework.

My preferred baseball cap is blue and white and has a big white UK on it. Go Cats!!
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Roscoe

NOOOO! Not a Wildcats fan! That's nearly as bad as a Roll Tide fan.

mini

No, I'm pretty sure a Wildcats fan has more teeth than a Roll Tide fan and by far more than a Razorback fan.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Roscoe

Where is everyone today??? I was busy, thought I'd look over here and see a page of posts, and was rewarded with dead air. :pound:

The Purple Fuzzy

Grandkids are here keeping me busy. :bigcheese:

sunlight

Lynx

I've been busy with life and stuff, and none of it is interesting enough to talk about. Much of it is interesting to ME, but would be boring to normal people.

I did get my electric bike up and running. Drop-in front wheel replacement is a wonderful way to make an e-bike.

For about two months I have been trying to get an electric bike because I want to start biking to w*rk but I want a little help going up hills. W*rk is about 15 miles away and I didn't want to get there too exhausted to w*rk. I looked at regular e-bikes but even the cheap ones (you know, the ones that will burn out in three months) are expensive. I looked at getting a regular bike and making my own e-bike with a motorized wheel and battery, but the battery is the most expensive part and it would mean running wires all over the bike. I even looked into making my own battery pack, which would have been doable but a lot of hassle.

So after two months of googling electric bike hubs, battery packs, battery cells for making a pack (plus copper foil, tiny magnets, battery management systems, 12-gauge wire, series and parallel connections...) I happened to come across a reference to all-in-one e-bike hubs. They have the motor, battery, everything all in the front wheel, and they come much cheaper than the battery pack alone would have cost. Just take the front wheel off, put the new front wheel on and go.

WHERE WERE YOU TWO MONTHS AGO!?! Why didn't anybody TELL me these things existed?

So I got an all-in-one hub, got a cheap bike from Wal-Mart, put the electric wheel on the bike and took off. Wheeeeee! I was pedaling, but I used the motor to make it easier to get up hills... and maybe occasionally give me a boost on level ground too, just because I could... and it was fun! I went up and down the road a few times, maybe six miles or so. I leaned on the battery kind of hard, because I was testing battery life.

Next day I took off without the battery because I was wanting to build up for eventually biking to work. And I quickly found out I'm not anywhere near in shape. My legs were fine. My internal power supply wasn't quite up to it. I'm going to have to do some working out before I can make the trip to w*rk on a bike regularly.

One major upside of this setup is the battery pops out. With a regular e-bike, the battery you have is the battery you have, so you want to get the largest you can afford. With this one I can just pop out the battery pack and pop in a new one. This makes it scalable, as I can buy as many extra battery packs as I want. I can also replace battery packs when they get old, without tearing anything apart to get the battery pack out.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

Oh yeah, there was a reason I got a cheap Wal-Mart bike. Cheap bikes are heavier, which is usually a very bad thing. But with this setup the pull is from the front wheel, so you want a sturdy frame. More expensive bikes would be more likely to wear out in the front forks. Turns out when you put a motorized front wheel on a bike, going cheap on the bike is actually a GOOD thing.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Heather

Quote from: Roscoe on May 02, 2018, 07:14:56 PMNOOOO! Not a Wildcats fan! That's nearly as bad as a Roll Tide fan.

My husband's hat has a big tacky orange T on it. Being in Vols country is challenging. I'm glad I have Jesus. Lol.

Work yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary. I work until 230 and he works 12 to 9. Is this what being an adult looks like??

Roscoe

Quote from: Heather on May 04, 2018, 11:49:41 AM
Quote from: Roscoe on May 02, 2018, 07:14:56 PMNOOOO! Not a Wildcats fan! That's nearly as bad as a Roll Tide fan.

Work yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary. I work until 230 and he works 12 to 9. Is this what being an adult looks like??
Yes. And it's worse with a kiddo....If you get a chance to grab lunch together it's considered a blessing. :lol:

Isaac, how is battery life?

Morning, all. Back at work. Being annoyed every day for the past week by my kid who wants a hover board- which is $200. I've had to explain the difference in "need" and "want" and have determined that she is, in fact a spoiled brat who doesn't like "No".

sunlight

Quote from: Lynx on May 04, 2018, 11:02:44 AMI've been busy with life and stuff, and none of it is interesting enough to talk about. Much of it is interesting to ME, but would be boring to normal people.

I did get my electric bike up and running. Drop-in front wheel replacement is a wonderful way to make an e-bike.

For about two months I have been trying to get an electric bike because I want to start biking to w*rk but I want a little help going up hills. W*rk is about 15 miles away and I didn't want to get there too exhausted to w*rk. I looked at regular e-bikes but even the cheap ones (you know, the ones that will burn out in three months) are expensive. I looked at getting a regular bike and making my own e-bike with a motorized wheel and battery, but the battery is the most expensive part and it would mean running wires all over the bike. I even looked into making my own battery pack, which would have been doable but a lot of hassle.

So after two months of googling electric bike hubs, battery packs, battery cells for making a pack (plus copper foil, tiny magnets, battery management systems, 12-gauge wire, series and parallel connections...) I happened to come across a reference to all-in-one e-bike hubs. They have the motor, battery, everything all in the front wheel, and they come much cheaper than the battery pack alone would have cost. Just take the front wheel off, put the new front wheel on and go.

WHERE WERE YOU TWO MONTHS AGO!?! Why didn't anybody TELL me these things existed?

So I got an all-in-one hub, got a cheap bike from Wal-Mart, put the electric wheel on the bike and took off. Wheeeeee! I was pedaling, but I used the motor to make it easier to get up hills... and maybe occasionally give me a boost on level ground too, just because I could... and it was fun! I went up and down the road a few times, maybe six miles or so. I leaned on the battery kind of hard, because I was testing battery life.

Next day I took off without the battery because I was wanting to build up for eventually biking to work. And I quickly found out I'm not anywhere near in shape. My legs were fine. My internal power supply wasn't quite up to it. I'm going to have to do some working out before I can make the trip to w*rk on a bike regularly.

One major upside of this setup is the battery pops out. With a regular e-bike, the battery you have is the battery you have, so you want to get the largest you can afford. With this one I can just pop out the battery pack and pop in a new one. This makes it scalable, as I can buy as many extra battery packs as I want. I can also replace battery packs when they get old, without tearing anything apart to get the battery pack out.

I would love to see a picture of this...

sunlight

Quote from: Roscoe on May 04, 2018, 01:17:54 PM

Yes. And it's worse with a kiddo....If you get a chance to grab lunch together it's considered a blessing. :lol:

Morning, all. Back at work. Being annoyed every day for the past week by my kid who wants a hover board- which is $200. I've had to explain the difference in "need" and "want" and have determined that she is, in fact a spoiled brat who doesn't like "No".

Make her use her own earned money for it. Make it a financial teaching tool... she will be so grateful later once she understands...

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: sunlight on May 04, 2018, 04:13:43 PM
Quote from: Lynx on May 04, 2018, 11:02:44 AMI've been busy with life and stuff, and none of it is interesting enough to talk about. Much of it is interesting to ME, but would be boring to normal people.

I would love to see a picture of this...
Yes! And a link to the front hub. This sounds really cool. I'd like to do it with a trike.

Roscoe

Quote from: sunlight on May 04, 2018, 04:15:29 PM

Make her use her own earned money for it. Make it a financial teaching tool... she will be so grateful later once she understands...
We are negotiating this. On one hand, I really don't want her to clean out her bank account, as we have a "budget meeting" every Friday in which she gets her allowance, puts her tithe and offering in an envelope, her savings in an envelope, and the remainder for spending money. We go by the bank every Saturday morning so she can deposit her savings and see how much she has. At approximately $5 a week, that $200 took a while to get there.
I'm debating a compromise where she will pay half and I will pay the other half, as an early birthday present. Then she has some skin in the game so to speak...
I just don't want her to make the mistakes I have and be a spendthrift. If I'd had better training- not to say anything against my parents, who never had anything to save- moneywise, we'd be a WHOLE lot better shape financially.

Lynx

Bobby: I predict she will get bored with the hoverboard fairly quickly. She is active, hoverboards are slow, bulky and depend on batteries. You can go faster on bikes, rollerblades, even a tricycle, than you can on a hoverboard. Is there anybody you know who owns one that she could try out? Maybe if she fiddles with one she can get bored with it without the expense.

Of course I could be wrong. She might use it every day.

Fuzzy and Chel:

Here's an amazon.com link:
https://www.amazon.com/YUNZHILUN-Electric-Bluetooth-Lithium-ion-Included/dp/B07BFTB28H/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1525478397&sr=8-9&keywords=bluetooth+bicycle+wheel

Here's another brand, same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Conversion-Electric-Accessories-Interaction/dp/B07BHGZN4Q/

Here's my review on amazon:
QuoteFirst let's get this out of the way: Don't bother downloading the app for your phone. It won't turn the motor on and you already have a battery gauge on the handlebars. The only thing it tells you that you don't already know is how fast you are going, and if you need a speedometer for a flippin' bicycle you are either doing something very wrong, very illegal for an electric bike or very fun...

Also ignore the printed instructions. It looks like the chinese manufacturers took the chinese version of the instructions, ran it through Google Translate and printed it without even showing it to a passing tourist to check if it was right. As good as I am at deciphering chatroom typos, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Fortunately you don't need the instructions, but I'll mention ease-of-install in a minute.

Now on with the good part: Wheeeeeee! This made uphills a breeze! It's only a 36 volt motor, so it won't pull you up the steepest hills by itself, but I took it to the steepest hill I could find here in Southwest Tennessee and it made even that a cinch to climb. Installation was also a breeze, just take the old wheel out, put the new wheel in, screw the controller on the handlebar and adjust the disk brake calipers. I got a cheap Huffy from Wal-Mart... yeah, it's heavier, but when the motor is pulling from the front wheel I wanted front forks that would take the strain. Simple wheel swap and I was on the road.

The battery won't last as long as you want, but it's a pop-out battery, which means it is scalable - you can get as many backup batteries as you want. With a normal electric bike the battery you have is what you are stuck with, so you want the largest you can afford. With a pop-out battery you can get more distance at any time by just buying an extra battery pack. Also it means your new motorized wheel won't be useless when the battery gets old. Eventually any rechargeable battery wears out and just won't hold a charge any more, which ends the usable life of some electric bikes. With this one you can just get another battery pack and keep rolling.

I should mention this electric wheel does not have some of the functions the more expensive all-in-one kits have. Specifically you can't recharge the battery by applying brakes (regenerative braking) and there is no way to really program the wheel. With more expensive kits you can set the wheel to kick in only when you go up hills, kick in only when you start pedaling, etc. Those kits are more than twice the price though, and all the ones I have found have also been the same 36 volt motor so they aren't even stronger. For three hundred bucks, this is a pretty good little hub.

Get it, slap it on your bike and go conquer a hill!
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on May 04, 2018, 01:17:54 PMIsaac, how is battery life?
That's really hard to answer in anything other than amp/hours. If your question is basically "How far can it go?" the answer depends on rider weight, terrain, wind speed and direction, etc, etc... I was using it to go up hills. If I used it on only flat ground, with no headwind or tailwind, it would probably have gone further. And it wasn't totally drained when I stopped testing it, I just got bored. I was leaning on the battery pretty hard and I got about six miles out of it.

This thing is NOT made for sitting back and riding. It's mostly for giving assistance to somebody who is actually pedaling. If you use it as an electric scooter you won't get far. That blue thing in the picture above is the battery pack - yeah, pretty small. I was still impressed though. For something that small it lasted longer than I thought it would.

Notice the distance claims on the product page are exaggerated. Everybody lies in the e-bike business, and I mean EVERYBODY. They inflate distance estimates more than car makers inflate miles-per-gallon estimates. If any e-bike company told the truth they would look bad compared to all the other manufacturers, because everybody else is lying about how far their bikes will go.

"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

Quote from: Roscoe on May 04, 2018, 08:33:59 PM
Quote from: sunlight on May 04, 2018, 04:15:29 PM

We are negotiating this. On one hand, I really don't want her to clean out her bank account, as we have a "budget meeting" every Friday in which she gets her allowance, puts her tithe and offering in an envelope, her savings in an envelope, and the remainder for spending money. We go by the bank every Saturday morning so she can deposit her savings and see how much she has. At approximately $5 a week, that $200 took a while to get there.
I'm debating a compromise where she will pay half and I will pay the other half, as an early birthday present. Then she has some skin in the game so to speak...
I just don't want her to make the mistakes I have and be a spendthrift. If I'd had better training- not to say anything against my parents, who never had anything to save- moneywise, we'd be a WHOLE lot better shape financially.

Make sure and Teach her the difference between a savings account and an emergency fund... there is a huge difference in what they are used for!

Heather

I'm in middle of my shift on this gloomy Saturday.....on my anniversary. Brandon works 12 to 9 at his store. He didn't pay attention to the dates when he made his stores schedule. Thankfully we both are off tomorrow and he is planning on coming to church with me.