News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

no icons

Started by Melody, April 17, 2007, 04:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

Ok, I recently went to a page where I could not see any of the smileys or other little pics that were on it and instead could only see those red X white boxes.  It's not the website's fault but I don't know where to correct this mistake on my computer.  What would it mean if I came in here and couldn't see smileys or the little pics in front of thread titles in here? 

Thanks to anyone who can help!

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Chances are it's not your computer.  It's most likely the page that hosts the smiley files was unaccessible by the page you were visiting.  Often times, when you visit a page, the pictures you see are hosted in a different area than the HTML code for the page.  If the place where they are hosted can be accessed, you'll get red X's, but will still be able to see the rest of the page.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Melody

I PMed someone on there at the time and they said they could see everything just fine.

Sister_Mom

That person's computer could be seeing the images from where they are hosted if their computer has access to them. For instance: If I created a web site and have the images in folder "B" on my computer, when I upload the images to internet (wherever my site is being hosted) if I rename the file "A" or move the images to another folder altogether, anyone viewing that site won't see the images. However, when I open that site on my computer, if the images are still in the same place as they were the last time I opened the files from my computer before being uploaded, (very) basically it still knows where to find them and I can see them.

If you get a person to look at that page that isn't connected with the site at all, they will more than likely get the same results you do.

Another issue I have noticed, and haven't quite figured out yet (maybe some of the web wizards can explain): I use a Mac at work but not at home. If someone on GP posts photos that aren't properly linked somewhere on the web, the Mac at work won't load the image, but when I get home, I can see it fine, other non-Mac users can see the photos fine also. Weird huh? So if you're using a Mac.... maybe there is something else going on there, but it still means the images aren't properly linked.
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

They might also be able to see it if they'd been to that site previously and the images were in their cache.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Sister_Mom

Yep!  :thumbsup2:

You could post a link to the site or send it PM to a few people here and see if others get the same result.
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Sister_Mom

Yep. Looks like they're having issues. I get blue boxes with question marks all over the place. I can't remember if I went there yesterday, seems like I did and everything was fine. If not yesterday, I know within the last couple of days I've been there and it din't look like that.

Sister_Mom

They're back to their normal wackiness again.  :thumbsup2:

Melody

I still just see all red X's   :-( 

thanks anyway guys  :waving:

Sister_Mom

That's really strange. I wasn't seeing the images before, the same as you. Now I see them and you don't?  Hmmmmm.....

Maybe you could call Miranda's son Ethan and ask him!  :great:  :laughhard:

Melody

randerzforya

Quote from: Sister_Mom on April 17, 2007, 09:49:29 PM
That's really strange. I wasn't seeing the images before, the same as you. Now I see them and you don't?  Hmmmmm.....

Maybe you could call Miranda's son Ethan and ask him!  :great:  :laughhard:

:laughhard: After my computer and the "gum incident" I'm pretty sure he only knows how to create the problems..not fix them. lol Maybe your comp just doesn't have enough memory..I know every now and then my FIL has to reset his cookies or his pages start to take forever to load. Or maybe you just have too many windows open at once. We only have dial-up and sometimes if I have too many sites open it takes a long time to load and may not show the pictures.

MelodyB

Quote from: MellowYellow on April 17, 2007, 03:54:12 PM
http://www.reymah.com/vbulletin/index.php

Weird...when I click this link, all I get is the red X boxes...but when I shut that tab, and open Raymah from my favorites list, I can see it just fine....

And Mom, why would Ethan know anything about that? That went WAY over my head apparently.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sister_Mom

Now that you read the "fonts" thread you know that Ethan is actually a computer genius that refuses to share his knowledge with his mother and insted uses it to wreck havoc on her computer.  :great:

MelodyB

I know...I said that....didnt you read my response?
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?