News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Options for XP users

Started by Lynx, April 08, 2014, 10:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Microsoft is ending support for XP.  If you use XP you probably recently got a little pop-up notice to that effect. I have had some friends getting a bit worried about this, and asking me what they should do.  In fact I have had so many ask me that I decided to make this thread of available options for XP users.

WHY END XP?
Most of the people who have asked me for advice on this seem to have hurt feelings about it, as though Microsoft has in some manner failed them by ending support for XP.  I know most of you who frequent this forum understand this matter, but I will explain for those who may be visiting this board.  Frankly, XP is old.  In computer years, it is downright ancient.  And the more technology advances, the harder it becomes to support the modern operating systems AND all the old systems too.  I'm actually surprised Microsoft has supported XP for as long as it has.  But all good things must come to an end, and honestly we can't expect them to support an old system indefinitely.  They made a good OS, they put out good updates faithfully for a long time for it, but all systems get just plain flat-out too old eventually.

So what do you do about it?

KEEP USING XP
This is what most people will do, at least for a while.  Seriously, it's not like your computer will suddenly crash or something (don't laugh, some of my friends were really worried their computers would just stop working.)  Your computer is still running fine, and should be good for a couple more years at least.  The upside is you save money and hassle you would have spent replacing XP.  The downsides are two.  1 - Your computer will no longer get updates from Microsoft, which may be a security risk.  2 - Technology keeps moving ahead, and as time goes by you will find more and more things you just can't do from an XP computer anymore.  The programs already installed will still run fine, but a lot of online things will no longer be supported.  This is not because webpage programmers arbitrarily decide to stop catering to XP users, but because it is just too much hassle to support so many systems all at the same time.  Something's gotta give eventually, and XP support will be dropped by more and more people.  If you want a good demonstration of what it will be like, find an old computer with Windows 2000 and try going different places online.  Most of the webpages will work, but you won't be playing many online games.

GET WINDOWS 7 (or 8)
This is probably the second most popular option.  It will cost money but you will have Windows, it will be a modern Windows, and it will be good for a while to come.  As long as your computer has at least one gigabyte of RAM it should be able to run a modern version of Windows.  Windows 8 by default assumes any computer has a touchscreen, so if your computer does not have a touchscreen you will probably be more happy with Windows 7.  Just make sure there are Win7 or Win8 drivers for your computer, or some of your hardware might not work.  To save money, look for the "Windows 7 upgrade" instead of the full WIndows 7.  They both install the same operating system on your computer, but the upgrade version costs less and it only works on computers that already have a version of Windows installed.  Basically, since you already have Windows (something) on your computer you get to pay less for the new version.  Yay!

GET A NEW COMPUTER
Let's face it, if your computer came with XP it is probably old.  You can get a used laptop on ebay with Windows 7 already installed and happily running, for slightly more than $100 (even less, if you get your timing right.)  Or if you don't want to wait for an auction to end and find out if you won it, select a "Buy it now" option and buy one straight out.  I personally recommend Thinkpads because they run and just-keep-running, and right now you can get a good off-lease T400 with Windows 7 and 4 gigs ram for about $160. 

GET LINUX
If your computer has less than a gigabyte of RAM, or if you don't want to pay for a new computer or new Windows, Linux is probably your best bet.  The user-friendly versions of Linux (like Linux Mint and Kubuntu) are so easy to install and use that a child of four would have no problem.  Seriously, you don't have to know anything at all about command lines, swap spaces or even partitions.  You don't even have to worry about "What if something doesn't work and I already wiped out Windows" because you can try it from the live disk before you install it and make sure all your hardware works.  In fact I know of some people who run for months from the live disk, don't bother installing at all.  And of course it's free.  :teeth:  If you want to PM me I can give you my phone number and talk you through installing and setting up in realtime.  I can even send you a Linux disk if you want.  If your disk drive has gone bad I can even install it myself on a flash drive and send you it.  I buy flash drives in bulk, I can afford it. 

IN CLOSING
Operating systems are tools, just as the computers on which they run.  There are fanboys of mac, linux and windows who insist one is better than the others, but for basic end-users who just want to get online and check their email there really is no difference.  They all go to the same internet, they can all play your music and videos, they all have spreadsheets and databases...  Whether you choose to get a Windows upgrade, get a new computer, get Linux or just keep using XP, your computer will still do what you want it to do (well, with XP it will still do what you want for a while anyway.) 

Any questions? 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

taco_harvell

You know where I can get a Toshiba HD cheap? Church's main computer blew it's HD up.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Lynx

Depends what you are running. If you must use Windows you can get a cheap HD off ebay. (Sorry, the obvious choice is the only one I know in this instance.) If you are running a Linux variant you can install it to a flash drive and keep going without an HD at all.

Actually I have a spare 2.5 (laptop) internal disk drive but shipping would probably be more than it is worth. And I'm not sure all the sectors are reliable.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

taco_harvell

Just got a 250gb hd to start-up in it. It's hp before I tried the same hd and got a Toshiba product warning. Worked in the Boot menu. This had Linux and Windows on a partition. Unbutu came right up Windows is running a restore. Pray it works...
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/