News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

"Natural" shoes

Started by Lynx, April 10, 2011, 05:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

So I've been looking at these five-finger shoes lately from Vibram.  Fila has a knock-off which is cheaper, but from all accounts not as good.  The reason I've been looking at them is because I like to walk barefoot anyway.  Something about walking on the balls of my feet just feels more agile.  When I'm barefoot or sock-foot I feel I have better balance. 

http://www.amazon.com/FiveFingers-KSO-Trek-Mens-Vibram/dp/B003EZ8B0O

What I really wish is that I could find some moccasins made the old way, equally thick at the toe and heel.  All shoes I can find are thicker at the heel, and while I understand why they do that, I do not like it.  It just does not feel right to have my heel striking the ground first. 

So has anyone tried these "foot gloves"?  How long do they last, are they comfortable, do they chafe at the ankle, what can you tell me about them?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

taco_harvell

Nope, I can't stand anything between my toes. That's why the only pair of flip flops I had as a kid went in the trash.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Kloey

Never tried 'em, but I do wear toe socks, if that counts.  I heart those suckers!
I am activated to pursue His kingdom, not for what it is, but for the absence found within.

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

Tell her don't get the cheapest Vibrams, get the KSO Trek version.  The cheapest ones fall apart amazingly quickly, according to reviews and according to a teenager I saw wearing them - and his were falling apart too.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Chseeads

Quote from: Psalm_97 on April 10, 2011, 05:24:43 AM
So I've been looking at these five-finger shoes lately from Vibram.  Fila has a knock-off which is cheaper, but from all accounts not as good.  The reason I've been looking at them is because I like to walk barefoot anyway.  Something about walking on the balls of my feet just feels more agile.  When I'm barefoot or sock-foot I feel I have better balance. 

http://www.amazon.com/FiveFingers-KSO-Trek-Mens-Vibram/dp/B003EZ8B0O

What I really wish is that I could find some moccasins made the old way, equally thick at the toe and heel.  All shoes I can find are thicker at the heel, and while I understand why they do that, I do not like it.  It just does not feel right to have my heel striking the ground first. 

So has anyone tried these "foot gloves"?  How long do they last, are they comfortable, do they chafe at the ankle, what can you tell me about them?

Your heel doesn't strike the ground first when you walk anyways? 

What do you do, the goose step all the time?  lol

Lynx

No, the foot/ankle was made to spring, not plod.
"Do you sing at church?"

Amelia Bedelia

I tried some on and I want to get a pair as they were really comfortable however I think a common misconception about these is that they can replace your daily shoes, they are designed for exercise, working out and controlled surface environments... not daily walking about and pounding pavement.  They are rather fragile shoes.  I see people on the street with them and for the price that they are I think its rather stupid... NYC sidewalks will tear up a pair of shoes! 

Each style has a purpose in mind, some are better for running, some for yoga etc. I think if you treat them right they would last a decent amount of time.  The ones I tried one were super comfy, of course it was just a try on so I don't know if they would have chafed but they seemed like they wouldn't

Lynx

The Vibram logo is finally tearing off the shoe!

(Cue fanfare of trumpets here.)

I've been waiting for this for months.  The way I wear shoes out, normal stuff like New Balance, Reebok, etc never lasts more than 6, 8 months or so before they start falling apart.  That's why I switched to Rockports, they'll last more than a year. 

I don't know what brand you got Amelia, but these Vibrams have been worn on a concrete factory floor for 8 hours a day, thrown in the washing machine every week, they're flexible enough to fold and cram in my pocket, and they only just now started showing signs of degrading.  And it's not even structural damage, just the logo coming off. 
"Do you sing at church?"