News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

HELP.....................pweese!!!!!!

Started by NessasMama, February 13, 2008, 03:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NessasMama

I have a brand new laptop. I just got it on Feb 1. It's ok, besides the fact that it has Windows Vista. Well, the past two days it just seems to stop working. The screen goes black and the only thing I can do is turn it off and turn it back on.

Any ideas as to what might cause this? ? ?

After I turned it back on I got a Problem Report and it said that I have a problem with my video hardware.

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   LiveKernelEvent
OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID:   1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20080212-1853.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode:   117
BCP1:   859E4510
BCP2:   8B6F346A
BCP3:   00000000
BCP4:   00000000
OS Version:   6_0_6000
Service Pack:   0_0
Product:   768_1

Does this make sense to any of you computer pros? ? ? ?
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

Sis

Did the fan burn out and is it overheating? They put the stupid fan at the bottom where it's resting, without much room for circulation.

mini

You may have to update your video driver.

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Tsalagi

NessasMama

Now........for the question of the day!!!!! How do I update it?  ???
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

NessasMama

Quote from: Sis on February 13, 2008, 06:27:58 AM
Did the fan burn out and is it overheating? They put the stupid fan at the bottom where it's resting, without much room for circulation.

The laptop I had before this one did that. I would shut itself down until it cooled off.

Kyle

Quote from: NessasMama on February 13, 2008, 03:25:06 PM
Now........for the question of the day!!!!! How do I update it?  ???

To update your driver, you need to go to video card maker's website.  Most laptops either have cards by Nvidia or ATI if I am not mistaken.  Been a while since I worked with video cards and don't have the luxury at looking at one right this second.  If you can't download it because of your screen going black, then go a friend's house and use either a CD or a USB drive to download the driver and install it from that.

If that doesn't work, then you will probably have to get the video card replaced and that is something the store will do, if you have a warranty with them, or the manufacture will do.  Do you have any service numbers available to you?

This is again one of my major gripes with laptops.  Sure they are convenient and fun, but when they break, you pay for that mobility big time.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

NessasMama

I'm beginning to see that about Laptops. I love the convenience of being able to take it eveywhere with me, but, this one gets so hot, and now the problem with the video card. Ughhhhhh.......I might should have stuck with a desktop.

mini

Are you using it on a flat surface or when you are curled up in a blanket?  If you are using it when the fan openings are buried in a blanket, rather than a flat surface, you can cause it to overheat and shut down.  Just because they are portable, they are not that rugged.

:grin:
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

NessasMama

I do use it when I'm on my bed or on the couch alot. I'll have to get something to set it on when I'm using it there.

mini

Another thing I do with my laptop is to let the battery run completely down about once a week.  Graveyard dead.  After its completely discharged, then ill plug it in and let it power back up.  Dont know if its the best thing in the world, but I do know that you can "train" batteries to have a longer or shorter life.

NessasMama

I might have to try that with my battery. This battery doesn't even last 2 hours.

Tsalagi

I know I have a similar link in here somewhere, but for the overheating problems, we use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Laptop-R9-NBC-ADAS/dp/B0009WPSEC

NessasMama

I think I'll have to invest in one of them!!

Sis

My fan is on the left side, so that wouldn't help at all.

Quote from: NessasMama on February 13, 2008, 03:50:46 PM
I do use it when I'm on my bed or on the couch alot. I'll have to get something to set it on when I'm using it there.

When I'm in the living room with the laptop, I put it on a TV tray, and use a laptop desk for the portable mouse. *I hate the pad in laptops so I bought a mouse to use with it*

I had saved some lids from Pringles chips to use as coasters. I put  three of them under the laptop to raise it a bit so air can get around the fan. I looked to see where the fan was, and put the lids in the front corners and one in the back away from the fan opening. So far, it works fine.

NessasMama

Hey, Sis, I like that idea. It's free!!!! LOL!!!!!! My fan is on the left side too. Aren't all of them? ? IDK. I've enver touched a laptop before til I got mine.

Babs

i bought a fan that sits under mine and it runs usb. works wonders and mine dont even get warm. you can get them for about $15 - $20
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.