News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Engine Oil

Started by darlaj2, October 01, 2007, 02:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darlaj2

I just bought a nice, used Isuzu Rodeo.  What is the best engine oil?  I want it to last a LONG time....

mini

Find out what oil was used in it before and continue using it, changing it every 3000 miles.  If you cannot find out, stay away from pennzoil.  The stuff is terrible.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Read the owner's manual.  It will list the recommended grade oil (5W-20, 10W-30, ect.) for your vehicle.  It's best to use the weight that the manufacturer recommends.  I don't know where you live, but if you live in a cold climate (northern tier or Alaska) where the winter temps stay sub-freezing for long periods of time, you'll want to use a lighter grade oil in the winter, 5W-20 is best for cold climates, while 10W-30 is better for warm climates/summer weather.

As for brand; while some people have preferences, the truth is they are all very similar and there really isn't much difference among brands.

Some people swear by synthetic oil and synthetic is very good.  It's also more expensive.  Unless you plan to run your car at high speeds (race it), pull heavy loads (reach or exceed the car's load limits) on a regular basis, or drive your car for 50 years, there's really no need to spend the extra money on synthetic.  Synthetic can make the car last longer, but cars have been running for a couple hundred thousands miles on regular oil for years.

Basically, the best advice is to use the grade oil the manufacturer recommends, use whichever brand you want, and decide for yourself the cost benefits of synthetic vs. regular oil.

By the way, I have always done my own maintenance, never used synthetic oil, and routinely get 150K-200K miles out of my cars.  I also tent to keep my cars for as long as possible, usually 10+ years.

EDIT:  minnesota68 mentioned not using Pennzoi.  Because of where Pennzoil is pumped from the ground, it does tend to have more of a "waxy" base to it then other brands and some claim it's not as good for your engine as other brands.  However, l know people who use only Pennzoil and get long life out of their engines.  I have even used it from time to time without any adverse effects.  Pennzoil does tend to be a brand with a reputation for lower quality.
Move along, nothing to see here.

darlaj2

I live in Texas.  Would Quaker State or Moblie One be a good choice?

I bought the vehicle used and there is no book to it and I have never owned an Isuzu (or any other Foreign made car for that matter.)

.....and I have no idea what oil has been used in the past.

mini

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on October 01, 2007, 03:32:55 PM
EDIT:  minnesota68 mentioned not using Pennzoi.  Because of where Pennzoil is pumped from the ground, it does tend to have more of a "waxy" base to it then other brands and some claim it's not as good for your engine as other brands.  However, l know people who use only Pennzoil and get long life out of their engines.  I have even used it from time to time without any adverse effects.  Pennzoil does tend to be a brand with a reputation for lower quality.

Good post MichaelK.  Where I live (Oklahoma), Pennzoil and engines are terrible.  I have never opened a Pennzoil engine that was clean inside (very gummy buildup).
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Sis

Darla, this one might help you....

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/isuzu.htm

I believe the manuals are listed there, so you can look it up.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

What's the year of your new ride?  I'll see if I can find an owner's manual online for you.

Also, do a search for some online Isuzu Rodeo forums.  You'd be surprised the wealth of information you can in those forums.  Most of the time you don't even have to sign up to be a member to find the information you're looking for, but you may need to be a member to ask questions.  I'm a member of car forums related specifically to the last four cars I've owned (two of which I don't have anymore) and have gotten a lot of help from those forums when needed. 

Just like any forum, read through the posts of several forums for a while before you sign up for one, some forums are more friendly than others.  Get a feel for the atmosphere and see how they treat new people before you sign up--some forums can be downright rude to newbies.
Move along, nothing to see here.

titushome

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on October 01, 2007, 03:32:55 PM
Some people swear by synthetic oil and synthetic is very good.  It's also more expensive.  Unless you plan to run your car at high speeds (race it), pull heavy loads (reach or exceed the car's load limits) on a regular basis, or drive your car for 50 years, there's really no need to spend the extra money on synthetic.  Synthetic can make the car last longer, but cars have been running for a couple hundred thousands miles on regular oil for years.

I also understand that synthetic oil is better for older engines.  I don't know exactly where one would draw the line - i.e. "from this point on it's better to use synthetic" - and it probably varies from one vehicle to the next.  But I just thought I'd throw that out there.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

darlaj2

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on October 01, 2007, 04:35:14 PM
What's the year of your new ride?  I'll see if I can find an owner's manual online for you.

Also, do a search for some online Isuzu Rodeo forums.  You'd be surprised the wealth of information you can in those forums.  Most of the time you don't even have to sign up to be a member to find the information you're looking for, but you may need to be a member to ask questions.  I'm a member of car forums related specifically to the last four cars I've owned (two of which I don't have anymore) and have gotten a lot of help from those forums when needed. 

Just like any forum, read through the posts of several forums for a while before you sign up for one, some forums are more friendly than others.  Get a feel for the atmosphere and see how they treat new people before you sign up--some forums can be downright rude to newbies.

It is a '98 but in very good condition (thus the reason for me asking about the oil) and I want it to stay in really good condition!