News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Cooking with wine

Started by World Traveler, June 05, 2011, 12:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

I have a recipe I would like to try, but it calls for red wine. I realize that wine is nothing but fermented grape juice and the alcohol boils off, but I would like to know if there is still a non-alcohol substitute. Since all it is is fermented grape juice, wouldn't plain old grape juice work just as well?
The recipe is for stuffed/glazed onions.
If plain old grape juice will not work is there another good substitute, preferably one I can purchase at Wal-mart and not a liquor store?
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Amelia Bedelia

In the cooking section there is sometimes cooking wine  -  you could try that.   The amount of sugar in juice would render juice too sweet and useless for cooking.  I suggest using the real stuff  ;)

Lynx

Somebody somewhere is going to have to make a joke about being drunk, or I've wandered into the wrong forum.  It's just a matter of time.

In the meantime, I've heard that all the alcohol cooks out but I've also heard it doesn't.  You might do some research on it, try to find a verifiable source.  And be sure to use cooking wine - unless you're going for sweet glazed onions, drinking wine will probably be too sweet.  Juice will definitely be too sweet.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Amelia Bedelia

The alcohol does cook out and drinking wine isn't going to be very sweet unless you get a sweet wine specifically and even then I think that would be less than juice unless its some super sweet claret - get something on the drier side. Perhaps ask WWJD and enjoy the good stuff

Melody

I would use a juice/vinegar mix. Walmart and Target both have liquor sections. 

Scott

Just use Cooking Sherry, the alcohol cooks out.

I will use it to marinate Steak or kabobs in prior to grilling.  I put in in 36 to 24 hours in advance and then grill the meat in aluminum foil with the sherry.  The meat comes out tender and juicy.  No alcohol.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle