News:

Remember to check out the Devotions & Poems forum!

Main Menu

New way to reproduce

Started by M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ, February 05, 2008, 06:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Death of the father: British scientists discover how to turn women's bone marrow into sperm
By FIONA MACRAE
Last updated at 09:28am on 31st January 2008

British scientists are ready to turn female bone marrow into sperm, cutting men out of the process of creating life.

The breakthrough paves the way for lesbian couples to have children that are biologically their own.

Gay men could follow suit by using the technique to make eggs from male bone marrow.

Researchers at Newcastle upon Tyne University say their technique will help lead to new treatments for infertility.

But critics warn that it sidelines men and raises the prospect of babies being born through entirely artificial means.

The research centres around stem cells - the body's 'mother' cells which can turn into any other type of cell.

According to New Scientist magazine, the scientists want to take stem cells from a woman donor's bone marrow and transform them into sperm through the use of special chemicals and vitamins.

Newcastle professor Karim Nayernia has applied for permission to carry out the work and is ready to start the experiments within two months.

The biologist, who pioneered the technique with mice, believes early- stage 'female sperm' could be produced inside two years. Mature sperm capable of fertilising eggs might take three more years.

Early-stage sperm have already been produced from male bone marrow.

Complete article
Move along, nothing to see here.

Niki

When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Sister_Mom

What is this world coming to?  :roll:  :sadbounce:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Sis

Quote from: Sister_Mom on February 05, 2008, 09:35:46 PM

The end?  Soon?

Get your kicks on Rt 66 cuz we's goin' home soon!

*~Trina~*

amazing!  what in the world will they come up with  next?! :eyebrow:
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events.  Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Sis on February 05, 2008, 09:47:14 PM
Quote from: Sister_Mom on February 05, 2008, 09:35:46 PM

The end?  Soon?

Get your kicks on Rt 66 cuz we's goin' home soon!

:sing: Everybody will be happy, will be happy, over there, we will shout and sing His praises, everybody will be happy oooover theeeeeerrre  :sing:

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Sis

Sounds like you're gettin' a little happy over here, before you go, too!   :laughhard:   :hypocrite:

melissa15

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Sis on February 05, 2008, 10:08:41 PM
Sounds like you're gettin' a little happy over here, before you go, too!   :laughhard:   :hypocrite:

It's not about the journey, it's about the destination.  :great:

No matter how corrupt the world becomes, no matter what our circumstances are, no matter how far out in left field the scientists go, it's all about where we're going.

Chseeads

Could they not spend their time and efforts inventing something that we don't already have more than enough of?   :smirk2:

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Chseeads on February 05, 2008, 10:28:01 PM
Could they not spend their time and efforts inventing something that we don't already have more than enough of?   :smirk2:

More than enough babies? You mean you don't want any more nieces?  :o

Or did you mean we have more than enough men?  :laughhard:

Chseeads

Well....more than enough sperm cells specifically....  There's plenty of the other too though...LOL   :o

Sis

Quote from: Sister_Mom on February 05, 2008, 10:27:12 PM
Quote from: Sis on February 05, 2008, 10:08:41 PM

It's not about the journey, it's about the destination.  :great:

No matter how corrupt the world becomes, no matter what our circumstances are, no matter how far out in left field the scientists go, it's all about where we're going.

Nobody said you can't have a good time on the way!   :hypocrite:

Sister_Mom

Sis

:sing: When you go shopping, remember there's a new way to pro-duce.........

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sister_Mom

Call me a skeptic (wouldn't be the first time) but I just don't see how it's possible.  :eyebrow:

Sis

Quote from: MelodyB on February 06, 2008, 12:52:42 AM
This is sick.

You talkin' about my singin' or the original article?

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Sis on February 06, 2008, 03:07:44 AM
Quote from: MelodyB on February 06, 2008, 12:52:42 AM
This is sick.

You talkin' about my singin' or the original article?

:laughhard:

Now that you put it that way Sis, she might be talking about my singing.  :o

Melody

Quote from: Sister_Mom on February 06, 2008, 02:39:27 AMCall me a skeptic (wouldn't be the first time) but I just don't see how it's possible.  :eyebrow:

that's what I said about cloning but apparently cloning has worked and your cheeseburgers could be from cloned animals.

Sis

I thought cheeseburgers WERE cloned!

Sister_Mom

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 06, 2008, 04:02:39 AM
Quote from: Sister_Mom on February 06, 2008, 02:39:27 AMCall me a skeptic (wouldn't be the first time) but I just don't see how it's possible.  :eyebrow:

that's what I said about cloning but apparently cloning has worked and your cheeseburgers could be from cloned animals.

Not my cheeseburgers..... I don't eat them. :yell:

But I know what you mean.  :thumbsup2: