News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Discuss Everything Except Alexander the Great in Sharing 508

Started by mini, January 04, 2018, 02:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe

Quote from: Lynx on March 24, 2018, 10:17:28 AM
Quote from: Roscoe on March 24, 2018, 12:42:18 AM:hi:
 I've enjoyed my day off. Chey and I went grocery shopping, and cleaned some stuff up and I attempted to put up an additional antenna- I got it up, but it did not work like I wished. Back to the drawing board. Plan on resting tomorrow and not doing a lot.
How do you mow around all these antennae? Do you do a LOT of weed-eater work or do you just spray weed killer around the bases?

Get a few more put up and you could have a paintball fight among them, using them for cover.
When people think of ham antennas, they think of broadcast towers, ect. Truth is, most are just pieces of wire, like you'd wire a speaker system to, cut to the length needed for a particular frequency, and strung between supports or trees. I've got an apartment dwelling friend ("Snoop" who used to check in here a couple times) who has a piece of wire ran out his window and screwed into the apartment's metal gutter. He talks all over the US and has made overseas contacts as well with it. Of course I torment him about his mind and mouth being in the gutter....
 Most of the antennas I have are simple wire antennas. I have a pulley system on my tower, and can attach the "feed point"- where the coax attaches from the radio- on the tower, pull it up, and string the ends out to a convenient tree. Most of them, after they are up 40 to 50 feet, can't even be seen, and the yard stays clutter free.
I DO plan on putting up a couple more 40 to 50 foot tall towers, but they will be on the far corners of my property and will not be unsightly either, especially since there are trees near where they are. Basically, they'll blend in for the most part, too.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

I saw someone on Craigslist that was giving away a tower for free but you had to take it down.

Roscoe

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on March 24, 2018, 05:02:47 PMI saw someone on Craigslist that was giving away a tower for free but you had to take it down.
Every once in a while you find that. It's a pain to take one down though. Gotta find someone who is willing to climb it and take it apart...not me. No climbing from me. 
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

SippinTea

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on March 24, 2018, 05:23:41 PM
Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on March 24, 2018, 05:02:47 PMI saw someone on Craigslist that was giving away a tower for free but you had to take it down.
Every once in a while you find that. It's a pain to take one down though. Gotta find someone who is willing to climb it and take it apart...not me. No climbing from me. 
Nope nope nope nope.

Which is odd. I can walk around on a steep roof with the confidence of a mountain goat, but the ladder going up to the roof gives me the collywobbles.

If you don't climb, how do you get your wires strung up there? Toss them over a limb and hope they land just right?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Pulley system on the tower....clip it on the snap and pull it up. Anything else, I break out a compressed air powered PVC "spud gun".

Hi Wooby! About time you come around...

SippinTea

Washi tape is marvelous. That is all. Carry on!

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

The Purple Fuzzy

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

MsJennJenn

I need weed killer for my backyard. The weeds are rampant. The weed on the other hand.... :hypocrite:
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Lynx

JenN if you really want to grow weed you can probably find online guides for how to grow it... You can Google anything up these days.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

MsJennJenn

haha I was joking cus I knew Roscoe or Mini would point out that I said weed. :roll:

I would never grow weed. I moved out of my first apartment cus the person downstairs was always smoking it and it grossed me out so much.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Roscoe

Jenn has become MellerYeller v2.0. And Jenn, ya don't have to smoke it to grow it! :hypocrite:
Hi, y'all. Been busy today. Home visits galore....

Nelle

Jeremy locked his keys in his truck this morning RIGHT when he was heading into work. I'm now waiting on him to call me to tell me he's off work so that I can go pick him up or something. He hasn't called anyone to come try to get them out since he is delivering mail still. ugh..

Roscoe

Quote from: Nelle on March 26, 2018, 09:39:03 PMJeremy locked his keys in his truck this morning RIGHT when he was heading into work. I'm now waiting on him to call me to tell me he's off work so that I can go pick him up or something. He hasn't called anyone to come try to get them out since he is delivering mail still. ugh..

OOPS. I learned my lesson about locked in keys on a traffic stop years ago. Stopped a guy, wrote him a ticket, went up and had him sign, and came back to my police car as he drove away to discover the windows up, the a/c kickin', and me locked out of it on the side of the road.  :oops:  Really embarrassing to call dispatch and have another officer bring me a spare key. Every since then, I've had a spare key on a separate keychain, used to have a spare key in the wallet, and always hit the "down" button on the window the minute I hit the blue lights.  :lol:

Nelle

Quote from: Roscoe on March 27, 2018, 01:25:27 AM
Quote from: Nelle on March 26, 2018, 09:39:03 PMJeremy locked his keys in his truck this morning RIGHT when he was heading into work. I'm now waiting on him to call me to tell me he's off work so that I can go pick him up or something. He hasn't called anyone to come try to get them out since he is delivering mail still. ugh..

OOPS. I learned my lesson about locked in keys on a traffic stop years ago. Stopped a guy, wrote him a ticket, went up and had him sign, and came back to my police car as he drove away to discover the windows up, the a/c kickin', and me locked out of it on the side of the road.  :oops:  Really embarrassing to call dispatch and have another officer bring me a spare key. Every since then, I've had a spare key on a separate keychain, used to have a spare key in the wallet, and always hit the "down" button on the window the minute I hit the blue lights.  :lol:

LOL. I know! I sometimes will roll my window down on my car as well if I get out for something and my keys are in the ignition. A friend of his called a relative and they worked on that truck door for half an hour and got nowhere. So this morning I was late to work because I took Jeremy to work and then went down to the Chevy dealership with the title to the truck and paid to have a key made. Best tip I ever read on Google. LOL. So now we have two keys at least. :)

Roscoe

Back at work. It's cloudy and dreary. I'm in a bad mood, and have no caffeine on tap. And my first two scheduled appointments no longer like me, apparently, as they have stood me up. Not good. I've now got paperwork completed for one to check out some of Arkansas' finest crossbar hotels, and am working on one for the second. It's not good to stand me up.

MsJennJenn

I shall neither smoke it nor grow it you heathens! :pound:

It's gloomy here too. Raining. With no end in sight. :roll:
-Alexander Den Heijer-

The Purple Fuzzy

Still sunny here. The rain is supposed to hit tonight.

Lynx

Note to self: When making an appointment with Bobby, be sure I can MAKE the appointment. Nobody got time for jail. :p

And the spare-key-in-wallet trick has saved me more than once.
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

:hi: Still raining. I am SOOOO tired of rain. Only got 4 people scheduled to report in today. I wonder how many will show?? I can't get going this morning....but Lou is going to bring me ribs from Church Street for lunch, so I've that to look forward to.

Nelle

I hope to eventually get enough extra keys that he can keep one in his wallet, in his locker @ work, and one at home. Currently he has the key and I have a key on my keyring. He loses his wallet/keys/hat/glasses/coat too much for the other only key to stay there, haha.

Still rainy here. I had a grumpy, soaked postal man in my home last night. He wants sunshine! LOL..

Tonight is our annual business meeting, which means I get to read the report out to the congregation. I hate reading out loud like that to people.. I don't take breaths which results in stumbled words and ends with me flustered and ready to run out. :) I hope to eventually convince them to NOT make us sit at a table in front of the church and be in a spotlight the entire time.. just when we are reading our paper.

Roscoe

Quote from: Nelle on March 28, 2018, 01:54:47 PM<snip> I hope to eventually convince them to NOT make us sit at a table in front of the church and be in a spotlight the entire time.. just when we are reading our paper.
Come back to Arkansas. We'uns don't have enough money for that to be necessary.  " Y'all, we got 5 quarts of green beans left in tha cabinet fer the next eatin' meetin'. You'ns better bring somewhat in or we's gonna be hungry. And if'n ya don't drop another penny in the offerin' on Sunday, we is gonna be in the dark and only have tha Holy Ghost fer heat. And Pastor says he gonna preach on a man robbin' God fer the next three weeks. that there is all I got."

See? Easy.  :laughhard:

The Purple Fuzzy