News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Gastric Bypass?

Started by Tricia Lea, February 13, 2008, 04:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tricia Lea

I am looking into the posibility of having gastric bypass to loose weight as m being overweight makes it hard to get around alot. I know there are several variations of the surgery and wonderng has anyone had it or know of anyone that has had it, and what were the outcomes?

NessasMama

I too am considering it. I am waiting for a bunch of tests to get done to see if there is another health reason as to why I've gained so much weight since 2005.
I was born weird -- this terrible compulsion to behave normally is the result of childhood trauma.

Melody

I have an uncle, and a great aunt that have had it done.  It only works if you can eat right for the rest of your life! If the problem is getting the weight off and it's not due to current bad eating, I'd say it may be awesome for you!  The worse thing you can do though is have it done and then gain the weight back and stretch what is left of your stomach, IF it doesn't tear.   For my uncle, he seems to be doing great.  He has a lot of flab which they have said is kinda weird but he's healthier.  My great aunt though reverted to the same bad eating habit and messed up her body so bad, she also died early.  That's the 2 cases I've seen up close.

Sis

There's a big difference between gastric bypass and stomach stapling. One is major major surgery, and the other is just shrinking your stomach.

I know two sisters who have had their stomachs stapled, both have a lot of trouble eating. One sister gained all the weight back, but has digestion problems in addition to the weight. The other sister has kept most (not all) of it off, but can't eat much in the way of solid food, or she has "distress" if you know what I mean. She has to eat only really small portions. She gets tired easily because she can't eat enough for energy.

As the figure at the bottom shows, gastric bypass is bypassing part of your intestines. The idea is if food doesn't take as long to digest your body won't keep some of it and add to your weight.

Here's some information about the new lap band surgery.  http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/bariatric/lap-banding.htm I don't know anyone who's had it done, though.

Here's a forum with personal stories of people who have had it done. http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/

another one:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/a,messageboard/action,replies/board_id,4856/cat_id,4456/topic_id,3528056/

And a third one:  http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

MelodyB

Melodya is right, you still have to change the way you eat for the rest of your life. I have thought about getting it done, but if I am committed to changing the way I eat AFTER the surgery, then I figure if I was THAT serious, I could change it now and lose weight without it. And you do risk having major health problems with the surgery, sometimes for the rest of your life. 
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

newkris

i know several people who have had these various types of weight loss surgeries.  the weight was destroying their health.  it wasn't just that they were heavy, but in very serious condition.

they are okay now.  having lost enough weight to regain mobility and proper organ functions.  however, as already mentioned, they must be very very careful about what they eat, when they eat, how much they eat, how often they eat AND they have to excercise on a regular routine. 

if they had been able to get on a healthy food and exercise routine before they got to being so far over weight, they wouldn't have needed surgery.

losing the weight without surgery can usually be done, but it takes a long time and a lot of patience and perseverence.

any kind of surgery comes with potential complications.

we have a couple of cases at work right now of lapband and bariatric surgeries that caused fatal complications.  it's surgery.  you are trusting your inner workings to the hands of someone other than God.  mistakes happen.

are you willing to chance a mistake?  are there any other alternatives? 

don't try surgery until you have tried and failed every other alternative. 

really.

as my boss says, it's better to have a healthy life than a good litigation case.  think about that.
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Scott

I can name 3 people I personally know who have had that surgery and their health is bad.

One lady lost all her teeth with in 2 years

One man developed Leukemia that is attributed to the surgery

the third lady is always ill, loss of her immune system and developed Iron poor blood.

Two others gained all the weight back within 2 years because they did not change their eating habits.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

kkay

My best friend's mom had her stomach stapled when she was 18 but she went back to her old eating habits and gained all the weight back. Last year she had the gastric bypass surgery done and she seems to be doing well with it.

Also, her brother and his wife have had it done. They also seem to be doing alright with it, but make sure you don't have too many other health problems before you have it done. The wife had a health problem when she had it done and she was in a coma for about a week.

Basically, just make sure to plan everything out with your doctor and have every test possible run. Despite what some may think/say, gastric bypass surgery is not just a minor surgery.

Babs

"If" i was going to do something like this, i would choose LAP-BAND.

information

Approved by the FDA in June 2001, the Lap Band is the newest and only adjustable and completely reversible surgical treatment for morbid obesity in the United States. It induces weight loss by reducing the capacity of the stomach which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed. Since its clinical introduction in 1993, more than 200,000 Lap Band weight loss surgeries have been performed around the world.

Minimally Invasive Approach
During the Lap Band procedure, laparoscopic techniques are used to make small incisions which provide access for the surgeon to place an inflatable silicone band around the patient's upper stomach. Like a wrist-watch, the band is fastened around the stomach to create a smaller pouch that limits and controls the amount of food the patient eats. It also creates a small outlet that slows the emptying process in the lower-half of the stomach and intestines. As a result, patients experience an earlier sensation of "fullness" and are satisfied with smaller amounts of food. This results in the patient losing weight.

Least Traumatic Procedure
Since there is no cutting, stapling or intestinal re-routing involved in the Lap Band System procedure, it is considered the least traumatic of all available weight loss surgeries. In fact, in a study conducted by renowned Lap Band expert, Dr. Paul O'Brien, M.D., gastric banding was proven approximately 10 times safer then the gastric bypass. The laparoscopic approach to surgery also offers the advantages of reduced post-operative pain and quicker recovery. If for any reason the Lap Band is removed, the stomach will generally return to normal.

Adjustability
The success of the Lap Band is determined by its adjustability. It is the only surgery of its kind to offer this type of weight loss management. Adjustments are done to customize the weight loss rate. Your physiology can change as you lose weight and the Lap Band offers this unique adjustability to conform to your individual needs. For example, pregnant patients can remove fluid from their band to allow for adequate nutrition and patients who aren't experiencing significant weight loss can have their bands tightened.

more info
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Melody

Even if excerices is difficult right now, I would attempt a very strict diet for a long time.  Because after surgery, you'll have to whether you "can" or not.  Wouldn't it be better to go into it knowing you are eating GREAT and can handle the diet afterwards? 

Also, if excercise is difficult, have you tried swimming?  I know it's not fun to be in a bathing suit, but you could REALLY excercise without as much pain.  The money it'd cost for swimming can't be more than surgery?

Backseat Radio

My suggestions would be...

skip the surgery because doing unnatural things to the body to cause weight loss is only asking for trouble.  Surgery is usually an easy way out but doesn't tend to correct the underlying problem.

make changes to your diet like portion control and pretty much eliminating the junk food - candy, prepackaged snack foods, soda's, microwave quick food, ect.  Also don't make anything a case of "Can't ever have" unless your deathly allergic to it because what you "can't have" is exactly what you'll crave.  Your better off if your craving something to eat a little bit of it and get back to your regularly scheduled eating plan than to eat half the refrigerator and cabinents trying to avoid what your craving.

Get into some kind of excercise routine.  For someone that has joint trouble I would suggest getting into a routine thats done in water until your more phyisically fit.

Clothing wise don't make a habit of wearing something that has a drawstring expandable type of waist band.  If the skirt/pants can be size 18 or size 28 you'll more than likely stay close to size 28.  Pick things that fit well but has a regular waist band and you'll be able to tell what shape your in physically by how the waist band feels.

Also don't set unnatural goals and ideas up for yourself.   Too often  the idea of a diet is to get down to toothpick size when toothpick size isn't natural on most people.  Shoot for being in better physical shape rather than worry so much about what the number on the scale says.  When your in better physical shape you'll feel more like getting out and doing things.  that number on the scale will adjust itself accordingly to what level of activity you keep and how you take care of yourself.

MelodyB

Good post, Tia.

I agree with it, not that I am following it, but I do agree. :thumbsup2:
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Tricia Lea

Well today when I had to go to the Dr I also asked for a referal to the  doctor that does the weight loss surgery. She is making me an appointment there. I am going to at least see what my options are. I need to do somthing. I have honestly gotten to where I feel completely worthless. Its getting hard to do some things I like doing. Things like doing the fireworks stand most of the time when ppl were putting up stock or selling. I was sitting down because either my back was hurting or I was getting dizzy.
I used to love to walk and as a teen rode my bike EVERYWHERE but would not dream of getting on a bike now. I want to be able to do more and other avenues dont seem to be working so I am going to see what the Dr says.
Probably will be awhile before they can get me in

Sis

Remember, you will have to work at getting the weight off afterward. If you can't stick to a diet and an exercise plan now, you may not be able to after, either. You will really need to be ready to stick to it, so why not try it before surgery.

Surgery may be an answer but it's an extreme one and some people come out of it not being able to eat much without getting sick every day, so while checking your options you'll have to remember that.

alohilani

My best friend a few years back got the surgery. He's probably a 'best case' scenario, but he still had trouble and can eat only tiny portions.

He was always hungry, though - the diet after GBS alone is enough to make you drop the weight quickly.

I would say try the dieting, first. I have health problems that make it ridiculously complicated for me to diet, so I don't say that lightly. It's a decision that only you can make, though. :)

My housemate's mom has recently decided to change her life; she started at a size 28 and has dropped 120 pounds in less than a year by strictly monitoring her eating and walking daily. She's an inspiration!

EricShane

a man I go to church with, passed away two weeks ago... He was 34, with 3 little children and a wife - they have no been in church for a whole year i dont think... but the week before he died, he had Gastric Bypass... he died from related causes.
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Tricia Lea

looks like it may be out of the question,  The dr here no longer accepts the program I am on

etexaslady

I had a lap band done in 2007. I never was able to get the first fill because of an allergy to the material the band was made of. I was sick a lot after getting it and had a hard time getting the surgical wounds to heal. I begin to loose weight anyway. After a couple of months of trying to find out what was wrong, I had the band removed. It gave me the  jump start I needed. I have since joined Weight Watchers and have now lost 100 pounds with about 40 more to go. Others have said it and it cannot be stressed enough-- You MUST change your eating habits!! Not just the amount of food you eat but the types of food you eat. If you are seriously craving something-say cake- eat a small bite or two and put it away. Learn that you DO NOT have to clean your plate. Use smaller plates, etc. It will amaze you how much better you feel when you do not stuff yourself every meal.