News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

laptops

Started by myhaloisintheshop, April 16, 2007, 07:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myhaloisintheshop

My husband is a car salesman and wants a laptop to keep all of his client info and general  computing.  What should we look for when we go to buy?

B

I'm partial to Toshibas and Sonys. They're a bit on the expensive side, though.

B

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

There is such a wide variety in laptops these days, from widescreens, to minis, to tablets.  Your best bet is to figure out everything you want to do with it, how much you are willing to pay, then shop around for one that meets your needs but stays within your budget.

Stay away from Dell, they haven't been able to make anything good for a couple of years now.
Move along, nothing to see here.

B

I agree. I don't like Dell.

B

Amelia Bedelia

*HUGS* my sony vaio :love:

ditto on dell    :tantrum:

EricShane

where I work in the airport, there is one part above my office where the customer service for the Dell Return program or whatever is.. and those people tell me about how bad dell computers are..
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

SippinTea

Okay, I'm obviously the rebel around here (in more than one thread). LOL   I love my Dell!  :cool:

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Kyle

I worked at Dell and I hate them.

One thing I hate that they do is reusing parts.  Dell has a big habit of sending computers that are canceled, or involved in "accidents" on the production floor to their tear down department where the parts are tested and if they "work" are reinserted back to the inventory to be reused in other computers.

How can you tell that your Dell has parts in it that are reused?  Quite simple.  Open your desktop or laptop and see if you see any colored dots on your parts.  If you have a colored dot, you have a reused part in your computer.  Big parts to get dots are motherboards especially.  It's always nice to know your several thousand dollar desktop or laptop has a motherboard in it that was involved in an "accident" on the production floor now isn't it?
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

nicolejoy

My hubby and my brother both have Toshibas and they're AWESOME - Berny has had his for something like 5 years and it's still great!! The only problem is the DVD drive is temperamental now...

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

My wife and I both have HP laptops.  We are very pleased with them.  The only problem I have isn't a mfgr defect, it's a stupid mistake on my part.  I was carrying the laptop with the wireless mouse receiver still plugged into the USB port when I bumped the  receiver hard into the door frame I was passing through.  Doing so broke the USB port (the receiver is still good) so that things won't work in it anymore.  But, that more of an abuse issue than a flaw in the laptop.  Other than that, I have no problems at all.

myhaloisintheshop

He is looking at a Gateway Convertible Notebook.....

any thoughts?   Do you like them?

Tsalagi

err I wouldn't, not unless Gateway has improved a great deal in the last six months.

If you're looking cheap, give Fujitsu a shot.  I know, their desktop hard drives are crud, but all in all their laptops are pretty decent.

Otherwise, I agree with the Sony / Toshiba recommend.

Dell =  :flush:.

World Traveler

I love my Dell laptop (Inspiron 8600)
I have had it over three years now. I have had very few problems with it and most of the problems tend fix themselves.
I would buy a Dell again.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

SippinTea

Thank you! Now I know I am not the only Dell fan on here. LOL  I love my Dell.  :)

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: SippinTea on April 21, 2007, 04:37:38 AM
Thank you! Now I know I am not the only Dell fan on here. LOL  I love my Dell.  :)
I used to be a Dell fan, that was until their quality really started to slip.

SippinTea

How long ago did it start slipping? I'm curious, because my laptop isn't exactly new. :)

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

I started noticing about two years ago on their desktop machines.  In the past year, I noticed a huge decrease in their quality across the board.  About 90% of our computers at work are Dells (over 1,000 desktops and laptops), the older ones seem durable and are running strong, the newer ones (within the last two years) have had an exceptionally high rate of problems.  Over half of our GX270D's have had to have the motherboards replaced at least once.  See the Dell thread for some examples of problems.

SippinTea

Hmmm....maybe that's why I like mine. It's about two years old, if I remember right.

myhaloisintheshop

We seriously don't know WHAT we need exactly.  I don't want to pay out the nose for things we won't use and don't need. 

Chseeads

Cletus still into cars?  What happened to the tractor thing?

myhaloisintheshop

we prayed about it and counseled with pastor.....he decided to stay at the car lot. 

myhaloisintheshop

how much memory should I look for? 

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

If it comes with Vista, get 1GB or more (the more the better).

myhaloisintheshop

so you think 1GB is suitable for just general computing? 

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

For general computing it's more than enough.  For Vista, it necessary because Vista is a memory hog.