News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

5-0's PAPM is Sporty & Courtly in Sharing 440!

Started by Newsman, June 28, 2011, 10:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

mini

Quote from: IowaSkirtGirl on July 11, 2011, 03:09:46 PM
Minn. I've been reading the NLT. I bought a "beginners" Bible because, well, I'm a beginner and it actually has a lot of neat stuff. I wonder if anyone has a translation they prefer or don't prefer. I know what I've learned in church that I'm supposed to use the KJV for studying and reference. But I also think it's neat to read the different translations. Some are just easier for me to understand and more "readable". I still haven't been able to read through the Bible as a whole. Which kinda makes me feel like a failure...but I am going to keep trying and hopefully make it :)

First, let me address the reading through the bible.  Forever I looked at it as, "There is no way I can finish this!"  It seemed that I would start reading, then miss a day or two, and before it was over, i was months behind and could not catch up.  Then I made up my mind one day, I am gonna read this thing.  And it was about 15 minutes a day, and I finished it.  And again, and again...this year, I'm reading the Old testament twice, the New Testament three times.  And its only about 30 minutes a day.  A runner doesn't run as hard as he can for a cross country race.  He has to find a steady pace if he will endure.  Find your pace and run...

http://www.esvbible.org/devotions/lsb/2011-07-11/ is the best one to use outside of the KJV.  Bookmark that and you can read every day on there.  Sign up  for a free account and you can also listen to it daily.  Keep the KJV handy to compare, and read (as you can see from my previous post...lol)  The reason I like this version is you get a section from Psalms and Wisdom, then Pentateuch and History, then Chronicles and Prophets and finally, the Gospels and Epistles.

It use to annoy me to hear my pastor quote so many verses.  Then I realized after reading the bible that I could quote many too.  And if not quote them, I had a good working knowledge of where they were, what they meant, and how they applied to me.  This came from reading steady...

Finally, I prefer the KJV.  But I also try to read outside of my "comfort" zone.  ESV is my second choice.  Some preachers are using the NKJV.  I have used many while preaching and in study, KJV, ESV, NIV, TAB, CJB, THE MESSAGE.  I usually try to get a idea of the verse in the KJV or ESV, then compare the two, then compare it with other versions before I move on.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: IowaSkirtGirl on July 11, 2011, 03:59:31 PM
We had some pretty awesome thunderstorms. Not like good awesome, like powerful awesome! I got home about 3 minutes before it hit.

Now it's cloudy and kinda muggy. Texas was hot when I lived there. Florida was HUMID. But I had gotten used to Iowa's mild climate, so going to Memphis for that few days made me want to learn to breathe again!
What part of TX did you live in?

IowaSkirtGirl

The hot part :P I lived in Wichita Falls from May to Sept. Talk about picking the HOT season!
I'm just me, round and bubbly like a lil honey bee!

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Melody

My favorite extra Bible is the Complete Jewish Bible. Unlike others it's translated from the original s, not the KJV.

NEWSMAN. don't let these guys think you're GOB when you're off wooing women. I got the scoop!

Chseeads

I'm closing this place up. 

:director:

MOVE ON PEOPLE!  NOTHING TO SEE HERE!   MOVE ALONG!

:director:

Newsman

Newsman

Me, Lady Melodya?  :hypocrite:

John  :waving:

Quote from: MellowYellow on July 11, 2011, 04:21:28 PM
My favorite extra Bible is the Complete Jewish Bible. Unlike others it's translated from the original s, not the KJV.

NEWSMAN. don't let these guys think you're GOB when you're off wooing women. I got the scoop!