News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

95%

Started by Kyle, August 07, 2008, 03:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sis

Quote from: noodle on August 09, 2008, 01:00:13 AM
At the age of twenty, some got it together and some don't. Their upbringing plays a vital role. Also, it may be the fact that they are women plays a role as well. They may be going to college to find a man like you that can offer them a sense of security.

Well, that would be a goal. Most of these kids only want to hang out, compute and text their lives away.

I don't think Kyle thinks they should have it "all together" but have a goal in life other than hanging out.  I knew I wanted to be a teacher since I was in grade school. I didn't like school much but I liked to teach and explain things to younger kids. I did it every chance I had. I switched to thinking about being a nurse because medical things were interesting, too, but teaching came out on top.

Now, when I was 20 (last year  :hypocrite: ) I got turned around and was married with a kidlet, but I still had a life goal. It was just put off because of the mess I had gotten myself into. It wasn't until my daughter was in school, that I could go back and get back on track.

During the years, the goal might change, or minds might be changed and changed back, but they have some IDEA of the kind of thing they want to do with their life.

Many young people, today, don't. I've heard some like Dobson say that they don't see much of a future for this country so they don't bother. But that is the educational system, again, with their lifeboat games, messing psychologically with kids, and sex education, etc., that they're teaching instead of teaching them to read and write well and compute a few numbers.

We used to ask kids what they wanted to be when they grew up, and most had some idea.

Rae

Quote from: SippinTea on August 09, 2008, 03:28:23 AM
Speaking as woman.... I don't know of _any_ woman who has 'got it together' at age 20. But that doesn't mean they're evil, awful, horrible people. It means they're growing, and changing (hopefully for the better).

Ditto. Even those who think they have it together at 20, ask them a few years later and they'll laugh that they even thought they had it together at 20.

Rae

I guess I know young people with goals... I think the stats are off. ;)