Always at church prayer meetings, always cooking at dinners
Always working for God and people
Always with a willing and cheerful heart
He is my pastor
And I thank God I have been able to enjoy his presence

I am a much better man
Because of this friend of mine
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

MY PLACE
A psalm

Sometimes I look at my life
And I wonder at the waste
I have so many talents (or so I have been told)
So many abilities, so many things I could have made of my life
But I have not
I work at a factory
I have no college degree
I have no career to build
And no desire to have one

People ask me why I haven't made anything of my life
"You are so intelligent (they say)
Why have you not gone to college?
Why do you not make something of your life?"
They say this so often that I begin to ask it too.

And so I bring my worries and questions
And come to You once more
(As I have before
A hundred times or more)
My life seems so much lower than it could be
Have I missed something?
Have I not heard You correctly?
Have I just been lazy?

Then You reassure me once more
(As You have before
A hundred times or more)
You remind me of all the things I have achieved
Things that have nothing to do with jobs and degrees
You remind me of all the things I do for You
The kids I have influenced
The people I have helped
The songs I have sung
Even the mountains of CDs I have burned and songs edited
For Your service

You encourage me once more
(As You have before
A hundred times or more)
That I am what You want me to be
No less, no more
You reassure me that I am where I should be
In Your love
In Your will
In Your plan
In Your hand
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

I have learned...

I have learned I don't know everything.  And the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.  Only those who know nothing think they know everything.  Those who know more realize they don't really know much at all.

I have learned to listen more to those who talk less.  They only talk when they have something to say.

I have learned to keep my mouth shut more when I am offended.  Chances are they didn't mean to say that the way it sounded...... and if they did mean it that way, they are probably too rude to apologize if I confront them about it.

I have learned not to worry so much.  Most of the things people worry a lot about won't matter the next day, much less in ten years.  I will do my best - things I can not control won't be helped by my high blood pressure.  :P

I have learned a person who is telling me something negative about someone, will be gossiping to someone else about me.  Count on it.  I've learned to avoid people who take delight in telling about the shortcomings of others, because their talk brings me down.

I have learned "What she said he said about me" is not important.  As long as I'm in God's will, God will take care of me.  Me stressing about rumors is only a product of my pride.

I have learned that on my own I'm not so hot.  Only when I'm doing God's work, and leaning on Him instead of taking pride in my own ability, only then do I have any trace of talent.

I have learned when God says go left, not to go right.  I could choose to go my own way, but I have learned (from experience) that is an astoundingly bad idea.

Multiple people have told me recently that one thing they like about me is that I never change.  Looking back on all I've learned, I sure HOPE I've changed.  There's so much room for me to improve.....
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Lynx

PRICELESS

Waking up after a good night's sleep, before the alarm clock goes off.

A good leisurely time to get ready for work.

Stopping to enjoy every second of a dark chocolate/mint truffle.

Moving quickly, smoothly, fluidly, precisely, without the pain many of my peers feel.  (Thank you Mom for every single time you said, "Lift with your knees, not your back.")

Getting busy at work, knowing what needs to be done and doing it fast, almost in a dance.

Having joy in my heart when the hectic pace is beginning to get to others.

Having mutts that look up and wag their tails when I come home - not because they are hungry or want something, just because they're happy to see me.

Sitting still and listening to my body rest and recharge.

Talking with Grandma about anything and everything.

Having a family dinner on the spur of the moment, for no particular reason, just because we enjoy each other's company.

An uncle who lives right next door, who calls me up if he's frying fish or grilling burgers, who will come and pick me up if my car breaks down. 

Loading and playing a piano in my computer that I found for free, that sounds much better than some expensive ones.

Going to bed in a peaceful home, in a quiet neighborhood, on a very comfortable bed.

Going to sleep in peace, knowing I am right where I should be in God's will and I have nothing to fear.

And this is just stuff that happens in normal, everyday life.  Special event days are even better! :D

Well those old commercials were right about one thing - there are some things money really can't buy. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

I REALLY was afraid to open this thread, considering the title.  :laughhard: But, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The first "thought"- describes my wonderful pastor to a "T". I couldn't have written it any better.  :thumbsup2:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Thoughts, not schemes.  I know better than to post my schemes here, you would be duty-bound to report me.   :hypocrite: Most of these simmer in the back of my brain for months before they coalesce enough to put into words.

And a good church will probably have a pastor like this, a pastor of whom his congregation says "My pastor is the best pastor in the world."
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

Lynx

AWWWW, I MISSED IT!

Once upon a time, I found an old Lewis Family album in my aunt Lucy's record collection.  I tried it and didn't like it.  Later, a friend of mine dropped off some records, and there were a lot of Lewis Family albums in there.  Well I sure didn't like the Lewis Family so I didn't bother listening to them - just ran them off on automatic and burnt them to CD.  Later (after said records were taken back to their home in another state) I found out I had a couple of Lewis Family songs in these collection albums I have, and I had always liked those songs.  When I found some Lewis Family albums in another friend's collection, come to find out I really liked some of them too.  But all those albums I passed up were off in Texas, and I had missed my chance.

Once upon a time, I tried bottled tea.  You know, that stuff in a can or glass bottle, already brewed.  I tried more than one brand, and found they were nasty tasting.  (For the record, Lipton brisk holds place as the worst of the lot.)  Then one day I saw a friend of mine come out of Wal-Mart holding... yup... a bottle of tea.  Black Diamond, for the record.  I was mildly shocked because I had always held a high opinion of  this particular friend's good taste before, but now I wondered about it.  However, on the endorsement of my friend, I tried this particular brand and found it tasted just like fresh brewed tea.  They even sell it by the gallon at my local grocery store.  And all this time I had passed it up, because I "knew" bottled tea was nasty.

It's odd how we can form ideas about whole categories of things based on a small sample.  It's a survival trait of course.  If you burn your fingers in a fire, you will be less likely to try to touch the fire again, even a flame made by rubbing alcohol (which is not very hot at all.)  If (as in my case) you find a bad album by a singing group, or a nasty tasting bottled tea, you will tend to avoid them later because you found them unpleasant.

Now I wonder how much other stuff I've been missing out on because of a wrong opinion...
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

didnt i send you those tracks back?

Lynx

I believe at the time I was on a very slow internet connection.  Sending them back would have been frustrating, if possible at all... You would probably have had to set up a torrent for me to download in bits, and left it up for more than a month.
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

no, didnt I send you a DVD of them?

Lynx

No, you sent Anabaptist a DVD of them.  This was long before I realized Lewis Family could be good.

And you were right, Black Diamond tea is good.  I even asked Uncle Fred if he had ever tried it.  His response:  "As much tea as I drink, if I bought it already brewed I'd go broke."  :P
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

THANK YOU MOM

Thank you for all the times you said "I am not running a restaurant."  Thank you for telling me to eat what you cooked or go to bed hungry.  Thank you for your interest in health food.  I can still eat almost anything and I still eat more vegetables than most people - not because I know they are healthy and I force myself to eat them, but because I like them.  Thank you for making me drink before meals instead of with them.  I can honestly say I eat what I want, when I want and as much as I want (and some of it is cheese, ice cream, etc.) but I have not gained ten pounds in the last fifteen years.

Thank you for every single time you said, "Lift with your knees, not your back."  Many of my peers have complained about back pain but, although I do a lot of heavy lifting putting the truck order up every week at work, I don't know how back pain feels.

Thank you for caring enough to start homeschooling me.  I know it cost money and your time, and it was certainly not as easy for you as it would have been to throw me on the bus every morning, but those were the best years of my life.  Also when I took the test to reenter the public school system, being told I had tested at college sophomore level in reading comprehension was priceless. ;) Thank you for taking me to the Memphis Children's Hands-On Museum, the best field trip ever.  I remember a lot about that place and part of me still wishes I was young enough and small enough to get away with going again.

Thank you for trying to get me to brush my teeth.  That one never worked out too well (and I have the dental bill to prove it) but it wasn't for lack of you trying.  My stubbornness kept me from smoking, drinking and "hard" drugs, but in this it worked against me.  Oh well, thanks for trying anyway.

Thank you for every spanking you gave me.  I didn't like them at the time, I didn't like you much at the time and sometimes I even hated you in the wholehearted, unreasoning way that a child can, but I don't recall a single one I didn't deserve.  When I see people who were not disciplined when they were children I am very grateful.  Thank you for not letting me grow up to be a brat.

Thank you for being more than just a woman who had a kid and must put up with the child's presence until he turns eighteen.  Thank you for being a real mother.

Your son

Isaac
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Working with children in church is:
Being told repeatedly that you are not their father.
Scrubbing gum out of the carpet.  again.
Having your ears blown out for no reason other than because a kid felt like squealing... for no reason.
Hearing "That's not fair!" or variations thereof 7,000 times per hour.
Breaking up silly fights over Silly Bands. (tm)
Trying to explain why insisting Santa Claus does/does not exist won't change anyone's opinion.
Trying to teach a lesson when the kids don't seem to be listening.
(From the other end) trying to quell uprisings while the teacher is teaching.
Sometimes wondering if you're really doing any good at all.

Driving a bus for 40 minutes, before and after church, every service.
Rounding up kids who would rather be running around the church, and do so.
Driving a kid home early and missing most of church because the child has lice.  Again.
Being kicked 4,000 times per minute in the seat back.
Telling a child to sit down for the 120,452nd time.
Having to slam on the brakes (DEER!) and a kid being mad at you because he flew forward... because he wasn't sitting down.
Waiting for a kid to find his coat before you can leave.  Helping the kid find his coat.  Trying to round up all the other kids who got bored and decided to leave the bus.
Being seen by some parents as basically a free baby-sitter.

A little girl saying, "Thanks for the ride Brother Isaac!"
A boy earnestly requesting prayer for his dad in "big church" prayer request time.
A group of girls coming up to the altar, making a circle and praying with each other, praying hard, without any adults prompting.  (Whataya know, they WERE listening!  Who'da thunk?)
A boy getting excited because he said, "God would you stop this rain so we can go eat?" and 30 seconds later not a drop was falling.

Totally worth it.  :)
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

This one I didn't write, but I wish I had:

YOU JUST WON'T UNDERSTAND

Often people say to me "You just won't understand."
"You're way too old," or "Way too young," or "YOU are NOT a man."

I don't know why some people feel they suffer unique pain.
As if they are the only ones who've lost or ceased to gain.
I don't know why they hide their pain and clutch it ever tighter.
It seems to me that all should know - a burden shared gets lighter.

Why some folks even deign to think the pain that's in their heart,
Is all their own, to keep and hoard, they set themselves apart.
They keep their eyes from meeting mine lest I should see their hurt.
And even if we stop and speak their words are often curt.

The Bible says: 'Two' can withstand what overcomes just 'one'.
And also that - a 'Cord of Three' can scarcely be undone.
Besides, I know the ways of hurt - my heart's been crushed before.
Friends have betrayed - I've lost at love, Despair's knocked at my door.

And I Remember - thoughts gone wild - and crying late at night.
Not having strength to care at all - much less the strength to fight.
But, someone special came to me - and when my trials were told.
I realized that with their tears - they'd eased my heavy load.

And so, I learned - that Pain - like Love - is bearable if shared.
I don't know what I would have done without that friend who cared.

My trials did not vanish fast - in fact the time was long.
But sharing gave me breathing space until I could grow strong
Enough to laugh again and even start to smile -
And though it seemed it could not help - It eased my pain awhile.

So, if you think that you can't share cause I won't understand.
At least just give me half a chance to lend a helping hand.
For I know that you're hurting and I know a place to start.
Perhaps if you could realize - your pain burns in my heart.

I know I cannot make your trials and troubles go away.
But maybe I can help a bit to get you through today.
And maybe by tomorrow you won't need help anymore.
But if you should - Don't be ashamed - for that's what friends are for.

And after all is said and done - the trials ceased - you're whole.
Perhaps you'll know just what to do to help another soul -
Who's being crushed by hurt and pain - be it woman or a man.
And you won't have to hear them say, "You just won't understand."
-Author Unknown
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

i couldnt read all that... half way through I needed a nerve pill! lol jk
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

WHO ARE YOU?

When I walk in
You greet me with a smile
You speak friendly to me
But then the conversation always changes
Somehow, I don't know how
You always talk about others
How they have failed
How they have done you wrong
When I first came in I thought I knew you
But now I wonder
Who are you?
Who will you be tomorrow?

I hear you tearing down
A friend I really like
One who is not perfect
(But then we all, even you, are also not)
But one I am proud to call a friend
You talk about all his mistakes
But never once say anything good about him
And I wonder
Who are you?
Who will you be in five minutes?

I see the person come in
The one you were tearing down
I see you greet him with a smile
Just like you greeted me
You speak friendly to him
Just as you spoke to me
And then...
You begin to tear other people down
Just as you did when you talked to me
And I wonder
Who are you?
Who were you before I came in?

I need a friend
I need someone I can count on
Someone who will be the same today as tomorrow
I used to think you were that friend
But I don't know you
I watch you change your mask
And put a new one on
For every friend you wear a different one
Your masks all look the same, but they are different
For just a moment I get a glimpse of you
The real you, that doesn't change
But then it is gone, behind another mask
And I don't know you anymore

Who are you?
Do I want to know?
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

FREEDOM

Before I became a christian I worried a lot.  My whole life depended on me, on my ability to provide for my own needs.  That is a scary thought - what if I got sick for a long time and could not work?  What if I got laid off and could not find another job?  What if I got injured and could no longer work?  What if someone stole my money?  I am glad that I can work to supply my needs but my life was literally in my own hands, and I can not see the future to know what choices to make.  When my future well-being depends on me, what if I mess up?

Now of course I am free.  God promised He would provide for me, whatever happens.  His promises in this matter are many, expressed in many different ways, and I have seen God do just what He promised.  Because I trust God, I am free from worry about what I have and what I don't have.

But if I am free from this worry it frees me to do other things, for freedom is useless if it is not used.  I understand the value of saving, but I will not let it stop me from giving my tithes, offering, or helping out a brother who is truly in need.  As I am free of my own worries, I am free to help others.

Before I became a christian I worried about being alone.  What if my family died?  What if I could not find a lady to be my wife?  What if I had to move to another city where I knew nobody?  What if I lived and died... alone?

Now of course I am free of this worry.  With Jesus I am never alone.  He is a friend that will never leave, never lie to me, never mislead me, never take advantage of or cheat me.  He will always be here for me.

So as I am free of the worry of loneliness, I am free to love others without expecting love in return.  I am free to love them truly as Christ loves them, whether they love me or not.  I am free to love the people who hate me - not to say I love them while I secretly hate them for their spite, but really love them.  As I am free of my worries about being alone, I am free to show Christ's love to others.

Before I became a christian I worried about my own social status.  I worried about what my family, my friends, my boss thought of me, what rumors people might spread about me, whether I was cool, if people might lie about me.  I wanted to make sure people knew I was capable, intelligent, witty.

Now of course I am free of this worry as well.  All I need is God's good opinion.  People will talk about me no matter what I do, and if I still cared about what they thought this would drive me nuts.  But if they will talk about me no matter what, I am free to do what I know is good and right, what I know I should.  I am free of the worry of other people's opinions.

So as I am free of this worry, I am free to encourage others.  I do not have to do as some do, insensibly tearing other people down in an effort to build themselves up.  I am free to build other people up, confident that I am where I should be in God's will, and God will take care of what little reputation I might have. 

The world does not understand this freedom because all they know is being bound.  You cannot explain a color to a blind man, nor a bird song to one who is deaf, neither can you explain how it feels to be free to one who has never been free.  To those who are bound by worries of their own life, giving to others is crazy.  If you give of yourself to others it takes away from you, and if you are depending only on yourself you want to keep all you have for you.  The only reason a person in the world would give to someone else is if he was a friend, if the person felt sorry for him or if the person expected something in return.  The commandments in the Bible to love others as yourself, to treat others as yourself, are not possible to follow with a whole heart because it seems to a person bound by worries to be sheer lunacy.

But I am free to give to others.  Not because God commanded it (although He did,) not because I should do so (although I should,) not because it would make me look good, because someone asked me to, because I expect to be repaid, but because I am free to give.  It is a simple exercise in logic, and logically there is no other choice.

I am free.  And as I am free of my own worries, I will give to others.  Not because I can, because I am asked or required to or because I am forced to, but because it is the only way that makes sense.
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

Lynx

REVIEWS

I've been thinking about reviews lately.

I depend on other people's reviews a lot.  I buy a lot of stuff online and most of it I have never seen or used before.  One well known online store is particularly good for finding reviews on products from food to electronics to car parts.  If other people have tried something and posted a review, I feel better about buying something and knowing I'll get a good product - or conversly, not buying it because I am fairly certain it is better left alone. 

But not all reviews are helpful.  Some reviews are misleading, deliberately or unintentionally.  Some have no information at all about the product I want.  Sometimes it takes some experience to filter through reviews and find the ones that will help me decide whether or not to put this item in my "shopping cart." 

And I stop and wonder:  What review are we giving God?

Some reviews are simply "This is great!" or "This thing stinks!" with no information.  The reviewer may fill up half a page going on about how awesome or terrible a product is, without ever really telling anything about the product, why it is so good or bad.  This effect is particularly noticeable with books certain political figures write.  Their fans will log many good reviews, sometimes without even reading the book, while their detractors will post a lot of bad reviews, and I can guarantee most of them have never read the book.

If all we can say is "God is great!" that tells the world nothing.  If we have no personal experience that we can (or are willing) to share, there is nothing to convince anyone to try God.  I, personally, have many things God has done for me.  But if all I say is "You need to come to church" that is too easy to brush off as just another obligation.  If we don't share what God has done for us... not stories from the Bible, not miracles in California or Africa but what God has done for us personally, great things we have seen happen... then all our talk about how great God is might as well be saved.

Some reviews are not so much good reviews about a product as bad reviews about its competitor.  "This is much better than brand X because..." and they go on at great length about how bad brand X is.  Well yay, I'm glad you found something better than brand X, it sounds like junk - but dude, that doesn't tell me anything about the product I'm looking at.  All you told me is how bad the other brand was.

If all we can say is "You should come to our church because we're better than the church down the road" that is doubly damaging.  First we don't give any real reason to come to our church or try our God, and second we put the other church down.  Unfortunately I hear many christians - not christians from other churches, these are pentecostals, people who are supposed to have God's sprit within them - putting down other churches all the time.  Every time I hear it it makes me cringe, because one of satan's pet tricks is to make sure damaging gossip gets back to the ones being talked about.  "Don't go to that church.  They think we're going to hell because our women cut their hair." 

Some reviews you read don't even have to do with the product at all.  "I really liked this product but shipping took forever, they forgot to send the USB cable and when I called about it I got some guy with a chinese accent" doesn't tell me anything about the product, just that particular seller among many that sell that product. 

Unfortunately I know a LOT of christians like this.  Instead of telling people anything about God, all they seem able to speak about is their problems.  Health problems, family problems, church problems, political problems, financial problems, problems problems problems!  I have had to make an excuse to get away from some people because I was getting seriously depressed.  For a people who are supposed to have victory, a litany of problems is not a good review of a life lived with God. 

When I think of a good review I think of Bro. Pete in our church.  You give him half a chance, mention anything about God, church, religion or etc, and he'll start talking about how good God has been to him.  His diction isn't too clear - he seems to have some kind of very mild speech impediment - and his words are simple but his enthusiasm is contagious.  I always look forward to hearing him testify. 

About half a year ago Bro. Pete was in the hospital with heart problems.  I met the pastor one night when I had something to do at the church.  The pastor mentioned he was picking up some reading material from his office for Bro. Pete.  I said "I bet he wasn't complaining about his problems when you talked to him."  The pastor said, "No, he was still rejoicing."

Experts tell us the best salesman is not the one who spends a lot of time studying how to make a sale.  It is not the one who knows all about human nature and how to convince people.  It is the salesman who uses the product he is selling, likes it, and thinks you should try it too.  If I'm selling something I personally don't like, all my sales pitch will be just a show and people can tell it.  If I'm trying to sell you something I like - a really good chocolate bar, a certain pair of shoes (no comments here please... *ahem* ) a certain brand of computer I have found to be really good - then I have already tried it, found it to be great and I think your life would be better if you tried it too. 

I'm reminded of my uncle Stanley.  He's a pro fisherman, got sponsors, goes to tournaments, the whole bit.  He says flat-out, "I'll use what the sponsor gives me but if it doesn't work I'll hand it back and tell them gimme some worms."  But if you mention fishing to him, be prepared to spend at least an hour listening to him talk about a certain brand of punch bait.  He will tell you how to use it, where to buy it, where he has used it, what he has caught, how many he has caught, and by the time he is through you will be convinced it is a magic potion that draws fish from thirty miles away... upstream.  He's one of the best salesmen his sponsor ever had because he honestly thinks this product is good and he thinks if he can get you to try it you'll love it too.

That's the kind of salesman I want to be.  I know my God is great, I know if I can just get people to try Him they'll love Him, I know the peace, the joy, the love that I feel from Him, I know all the things He has done in my life.

But it's up to me to leave a good review.  And I'd sure better because whatever review I leave, people around me will read it.
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

To borrow a sunlight phrase- *like*
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

sunlight

Lynx

WEEPING ALONE

Luke 22:31-34
31And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
32But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
33And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death.
34And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

Luke 22:60-62
60And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the cock crew.
61And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
62And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.

I like Peter.  He wasn't perfect, but he had enthusiasm.  He was like a Labrador puppy, full of energy, ready to go go GO and as often as not doing the wrong thing.  But every time he messed up, he backed up, got going straight again and kept on going. 

This chapter in Luke marks the lowest point where we ever see Peter.  He has told Jesus he will follow Jesus anywhere, even if it brings him death - a brave statement.  Jesus responds that before the next new day is well advanced Peter will deny him three times.  In other books of the Bible we find Peter and the other disciples all denying this, affirming they will indeed follow Jesus anywhere.

Then Jesus is taken by the mob and the disciples all scatter.  Peter follows from a distance, people recognize him as one of Jesus' disciples and Peter winds up denying any connection with Jesus three times.  Then he realizes what he has done and, heartbroken at his own weakness, that he would deny Jesus for fear of his own safety, he goes out and weeps bitterly.

The important thing was, he didn't stay there.

Oh Peter didn't become perfect after that failure.  He never was a spiritual superman.  Although he got out of the boat and walked on water, his faith wavered and he started sinking.  He didn't believe Mary when she said Jesus had risen.  God had to get it through Peter's head that God could make unclean things clean before Peter was in any shape to preach salvation to the Gentile Cornelius.And after Gentiles were added to the church, when some Jews came to visit Peter tried so hard to keep up appearances that Paul had to reprimand him for shunning the Gentiles. 

But Peter kept getting up one more time.  Peter did walk on the water, something nobody else except Jesus has ever done to this day.  Peter was the one who was given the keys to the kingdom of Heaven, to unlock the door for salvation to the Samaritans and Gentiles.  Peter saw so many miracles that we don't have a count of how many happened around him.  Peter was so close to God, so full of God's spirit that if his shadow passed over a person that person would be healed.  Peter had an awesome ministry and a very exciting life.

Maybe you're like Peter.  Maybe you have been so confident that you will follow Jesus everywhere, only to have your nose rubbed in your own weakness as soon as you turn around.  Maybe you have failed in such a spectacular way that you just have to be impressed that you found a way to mess things up so thoroughly. 

Maybe you just feel like going off by yourself and crying.  And that's okay.  It's natural to feel bad when you fail.  I have fallen a few times myself and nobody knew but me and God, but I have felt like curling up in a ball and crying for a while.  You're human, you're not perfect, it is possible to mess up and when you do it hurts.  A lot.

Just don't stay there. 

I've seen many people fail God in many ways.  The difference is that some people fall and give up, while some get up and keep going.  Some dwell on their mistakes until they convince themselves it's better to stay down.  After all, if you're down you can't fall any further, right? 

But if you stay down you'll never be able to reach for the things you could have.

Go ahead and cry for a while.  Then get up, dust yourself off and start talking to God again.  You have a great future and the power behind it is God's power.  You can be a mighty influence, you can change many people's lives, you can bring joy and light to countless people who are alone in their darkness.  It may be hard to believe it right now, so soon after you have tripped over your own feet, but you can do anything through God. 

Everybody gets down sometimes.  The people you look up to have been down sometimes.  Believe it or not, they aren't any stronger than you.  They just didn't stay down.
"Do you sing at church?"