:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Just a question

Started by JoleneHeather, April 04, 2006, 02:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoleneHeather

What exactly is this board for? 

OGIA

And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

Ignorance of the Identity of the One True God is not a valid reason to practice idolatry.

Scott

Messages and questions regarding board problems
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

TulsaDavid

In that case, here is a board problem:

Under the Spiritual Discussions | Bible Questions, the listing is not sorting by date. This is a snapshot of what it is looking like:

As you can see by the red and blue, the sort is breaking off then continuing.

Just thought I'd bring this to your attention. :)

B

The ones you highlighted in red are known as sticky topics. They remain at the top of the board at all times, regardless of the date of the last reply. Following those are the rest of the normal topics. Within those two groupings, they are sorted by date. :teeth: Hope that helps.

B

TulsaDavid

Ahhhhh, okay.Sorry ... my bad. :)

Scott

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Kyle

Ugh, you know how confusing it is when you guys merge the boards and not tell anyone?!  :P
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

B

DaQotah

Quote from: GlassDarkly on May 04, 2006, 07:57:02 PM
The ones you highlighted in red are known as sticky topics.

I believe the use of "sticky" topics is an error.
It only messes up the listings, and really serves no purpose at all...

The bad part of their use is that it makes the forum in many ways appear dead....as if no one has posted in a long long time...

I believe that the best thing to do is have the new posts bump that topic up to the very top of the listings....
That way the guest can tell whats new at a glance.

whats going on now is slowly one topic after another becomes a 'sticky" and thereby dropping something else down on the page...
And in the computer screens of the guest, PLACEMENT IS KEY!...
Placement is the most important thing to be concerned with for the forum to attract new posts and visits...

2 to 4 inches on a computer screen of old, dead, posts are a sure way to confuse people....

Stickys....a bad idea.

B

I agree that overuse of stickies is a bad idea, but I don't see a problem with keeping important information/topics at the top of the list. I've been using stickies for years, as have many, many other forums. :teeth:

B

JoleneHeather

never confused me..... :smirk:

BenJammin

That's just 'cause you're on a whole 'nother level than the rest of us...

:hypocrite:

BenJammin
"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." ~Anonymous~

"Courage is not the absence of fear; rather the understanding that something else is more important than fear" ~Ambrose Redmoon~

JoleneHeather

Hey, you said it.  ;)  :cool:

bishopnl

~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

DaQotah

No, the more I come to this place and others that make use of the 'sticky" topic, the more I'm sure that it's just a really bad idea from the start.

The 'sticky" topic is not helpfull.
Infact, the idea behind the MOD's use of a "sticky" is that it might save time, but the truth is that it gets in the way , more that it helps anyone.

Sticky topics are turned into sticky topics due to them being about topics that seem "important at the time'
In retrospect however, they really only represent a slice of a smaller concept, they never really furnish a New poster with the real information they promice, and they only cause more questions that they answer.

My advice would be to arrive at some other means to inform the new guest of important Forum ideas, without messing up a forum with a listing of sticky yet very much 'dead' topics....

B

Sticky topics have been around in forum software for a long time. They aren't going anywhere. When used correctly, they can be quite helpful.

B

StevenOwen

Since when do sticky topics become a sticky topic? And I guess Im just clueless in Seattle. ???

B

"Sticky" is just a term to reference the topics that stay at the top of the list.

B