Lamaz and other classes

Started by USAF Wifey, February 02, 2007, 12:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USAF Wifey

I don't know if I spelt lamaz right, but i was just wondering. I wasn't going to take any of the classes they offered. My mil is telling me this is something I NEED to do I won't be able to make it through labor without them and so on and so on. My question is, Is it really that big of a deal if I don't take the classes? Will it affect my labor that much??

Chseeads

People had babies for thousands of years without lamaze, so I don't know that you'd NEED the classes...... :lol:

EmmazMommy

Quote from: Air Force Wifey on February 02, 2007, 12:44:49 PM
I don't know if I spelt lamaz right, but i was just wondering. I wasn't going to take any of the classes they offered. My mil is telling me this is something I NEED to do I won't be able to make it through labor without them and so on and so on. My question is, Is it really that big of a deal if I don't take the classes? Will it affect my labor that much??

I didnt take any of those classes and here I am with a One Year old (tomorrow )

nicolejoy

When I fall pregnant, I want to take whatever kind of class I can so that hopefully I can have an easier labour!! I know women who said that the classes REALLY helped them in labour - and ideally, I'd like to do it without an epidural!!

Probably everyone thinks about it differently though... but there's probably nothing LOST by going!! Unless it's ridiculously expensive or something like that...

Envelope

well, I'm a nurse, and I took them.  I almost didn't.....just because I had a good idea of what to expect.....but I am glad I did!

I think they're worth it!!  They discuss ALL aspects of having a baby, not just labor and delivery.  My class learned about the different forms of anesthesia, breastfeeding, deep breathing, and the "normal" kind of abnormalities (such as cone head babies).  There was also a session of dealing with safety and babyproofing.....

Plus, we toured the OB ward and stuff too......

If you decide to NOT take the classes, just go to the library and  check out some videos on labor, delivery, breathing, breastfeeding and so forth.  Plus, there's a TON of good books out there to read.  Just remember that knowledge is POWER, so the more you learn about it, the better.

Good luck in deciding!!
sharon

*Christi*

I did not take any classes.  With both of the boys deliveries I thought that was no big deal.  Inductions and epidurals were both involved in those deliveries.  I had no need for the breathing or the focusing or anything like that.  With Isabelle on the other hand... I had her completely natural.  I had NO idea what I was doing!  LOL  Finally the nurse looked me in the eye and said "breathe like this" and I did and it completely changed my labor!!  It was SO much easier to push the baby out when I was breathing properly!!  I was absolutely amazed by that!!  If you have the opportunity... go for it!!  Also, take the breastfeeding class... I didn't but I did get to meet with several lactation consultants who told me that if I had taken the breastfeeding class it would have been better for me.

USAF Wifey

If I took any classes I think it would be the breastfeeding one.

*Christi*

I know at my hospital the childbirth classes are once a week for 6 weeks... the final week is actually the breastfeeding class.  I'm sure it's different everywhere so I would call the hospital and see how they do things.

Jennie-lynnie

I didn't go... but everyone I know that took the breastfeeding class said it was very helpful to them!

darlaj2

....any knowledge is better than none at all.  I took Lamaze and although boring at times--I am glad I took it.  It did help alot.  The breastfeeding class also helped.  Sometimes things go so smoothly and you won't need the knowledge--but for those times that things might not go so smoothly--it helps to know what to do.  So, go ahead and take all the classes you can.  You will not regret them.

RandyWayne

"Me and my wife went to CLASS to learn how to have NATURAL child birth......" - Bill Cosby

jdcord

Llamas?     :o

Did somebody see Llamas?

:P

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

Drewbears

Does the base offer them for free?? If they do I say take them. We took them when we had Andrew..... and it wasn't that we learned much that I actually USED in labor, but there were a few things that did help.

If its free go for it.

Now obviously for us we don't take them now! ha ha ha. I think I could teach it.

JuJu03

I am also looking into classes as well...my local hospital does not have Lamaze but does have birthing classes....I actually met one of the hospital's OB nurses in line at wal mart today (my husband says  I will talk to a brick wall)..but anyway...she said because  I am so far along that all I have to pay is $5 per class and I can choose the classes I want to go to...