News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Safety & Single Women

Started by SippinTea, February 05, 2007, 06:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashlee

Yeah, but on this one, he told us what he would do to us if he was the bad guy..... :freaky2:

Babs

i wasnt able to read it either. sigh. oh well.............
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Sis

Quote from: teacheroftheLord on February 10, 2008, 10:18:41 AM
Yeah, but on this one, he told us what he would do to us if he was the bad guy..... :freaky2:

I learned something about lions. They roar to scare other animals/people. They don't always do much when they're roaring. It's when they're quiet that you have to watch out because they might pounce. The loudest ones in the jungle are the older ones with falst teeth.

So while he's up there ^ roaring, I ain't a-skert!

Tsalagi

Good point about fingers in the eyes, lojack.  I always tell them to scream, "Police Brutality!"

Every person within three blocks will come running to see how bad the cops are beating someone, but yell 'help' and see what ya get... :-?

Also, those tiny little serrated seat belt knives with the inward-curving blades are great for disemboweling someone or just discouraging grappling, don't take much pressure or work either.

lojack

i like the police brutality lol.  as for the seat belt knife? i would take that knife from her and use it on her.  i discourage most women carrying guns or knives unless they get some comprehensive training. as for being disemboweled, that is a great tactic so as to run away!
Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

Tsalagi

We're talking the tiny ones that go around the finger thus are easily hid until it's too late.  Almost as sharp as a scalpel.  Beware the ninja.  :cool:

Besides, once his guts are in the street, no need to run away.  He'll be dead within fifteen cause there's nothing up inside to support his diaphragm, thus he can't breathe. 

Mmmm.  As far as knives and guns go, I say get training and carry them.   I guess the reason most people tell women not to carry those things is that most women are not willing to use deadly force.

If you have a gun and it comes out, the rule is: kill them.  If the gun has to come out, it will be fired.  That has to be an iron-clad rule for anyone who wears a weapon.

Ashlee

Quote from: Tsalagi on February 10, 2008, 07:22:38 PM
Mmmm.  As far as knives and guns go, I say get training and carry them.   I guess the reason most people tell women not to carry those things is that most women are not willing to use deadly force.

If you have a gun and it comes out, the rule is: kill them.  If the gun has to come out, it will be fired.  That has to be an iron-clad rule for anyone who wears a weapon.

I guess that's my problem.  I don't think that I could actually KILL someone.  I just couldn't take someone elses life into my hands like that.  I think I'd rather someone seriously injure or kill  me than me kill them.  At the same time, I want to take self defence classes so that I could defend myself in such an emergency.  I kinda envy the women who can flip a guy over her shoulder and stuff.  *shrug*  There just isn't anything around here like that, so If I am to get some type of training, it will have to be done elsewhere.  I guess this is why I've always wanted a big brother.  Or an understanding husband who is trained in self defence.  I just don't see beating my husband up though.  Even if it is for my betterment.  lol

lojack

Quote from: Sis on February 10, 2008, 10:23:02 AM
Quote from: teacheroftheLord on February 10, 2008, 10:18:41 AM

I learned something about lions. They roar to scare other animals/people. They don't always do much when they're roaring. It's when they're quiet that you have to watch out because they might pounce. The loudest ones in the jungle are the older ones with falst teeth.

So while he's up there ^ roaring, I ain't a-skert!

lol, if you read my post, you'll see there is no roaring.  I'm making someones face look like mush.  Sad thing is that 99% of most women wouldn't be able to stop me from doing so.  
Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

Tsalagi

Quotemost women are not willing to use deadly force.

edit: make that initially willing.  I know plenty of them who can and will.  Sad thing when a society has fallen so low as to make this sorta thing necessary.

lojack just illustrated a very good point.  Most men are physically stronger than most women.  Many common martial arts schools teach a fighting philosophy or style that takes a long time to become effective for the novice, and a lot of them are too stylized because of the tourney system.  For this sort of thing, you want a contemporary combat system - because the ring is a heap different from the street.

The guys not [usually lol] actually trying to kill you in the ring, it's a fight with rules.  I've sparred with some chicks who were wicked bad, but they were veteran fighters.  Not the same. 

Plus, apostolic gals wear skirts and dresses.  Although I've never tried it, I betcha fighting in a skirt would be a pain.

From a life and death standpoint, the predator's best option is usually to spring from ambush and overpower, the "prey's" best option is to not be prey.  Best option is don't go where the wild things are.  Use buddies whenever possible.  Stay alert, keep moving and looking and paying attention to your surroundings as possible ambush sites.

Did you see that thing on msnbc about the "Tazer parties"?   Maybe I'll invent some sort of a passive taser, that would be cool.  They don't get zapped until they make contact with the person wearing the device, contact is the medium of exchange, and the wearer would have to be wearing...rubber boots!

That's it!  Taser Boots! ...naaaah.

Sis

Every person within three blocks will come running to see how bad the cops are beating someone, but yell 'help' and see what ya get...
I was taught to yell "FIRE!" People wanna see whose house is burning down (Or is it up?)

We're talking the tiny ones that go around the finger thus are easily hid until it's too late.  Almost as sharp as a scalpel.  Beware the ninja.  :cool:

Besides, once his guts are in the street, no need to run away.  He'll be dead within fifteen cause there's nothing up inside to support his diaphragm, thus he can't breathe. 

I would use them in a second without thinking. I was raised with three brothers and a male cousin who was like a brother. After living with so many guys, I know you aim to KILL  *Shows teeth* Grrrrrrr

From a life and death standpoint, the predator's best option is usually to spring from ambush and overpower, the "prey's" best option is to not be prey.  Best option is don't go where the wild things are.  Use buddies whenever possible.  Stay alert, keep moving and looking and paying attention to your surroundings as possible ambush sites.

That's not always effective, either. There are women who have been trained in street self defense as well as other martial arts who have been overpowered before they could react. In one case, a gal with a black belt was hit in the head and passed out before she could do anything.

I guess the martial arts CAN give a false security of sorts because it was a total shock that she had all that training and was still overpowered and raped. She knew to keep check of her surrounding, but the guy was so quiet, she never knew what hit her.

I have also heard of two women together getting overpowered by two or three guys, so even if you have some training, you still can get into trouble.

sunlight

do you teach safety classes?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

SippinTea

Quote from: Tsalagi on February 10, 2008, 08:35:56 PM
Plus, apostolic gals wear skirts and dresses.  Although I've never tried it, I betcha fighting in a skirt would be a pain.

True, it's not fun. But you might be surprised what we can still manage to do in a skirt or dress when we're desperate enough.

Tsoggi, me has an idea.... You and Sir John can plan a safety course specifically for apostolic women (ya know, thinking along the lines of tactics for skirt-wearers to use), name the date and time and tuition cost, and all us gals can fly in to TX or OK for a crash course on fighting. *grin* You two have the training, and if I remember right, you both are quite used to teaching as well.

Whatcha think? :P

Quote from: Sis on February 10, 2008, 08:36:18 PM
even if you have some training, you still can get into trouble.

True. It ultimately comes down to trusting God anyway. But I don't think He expects us to be sitting ducks either.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

sunlight

Yes! you gals can room with me! there is room! lol!

Quote from: SippinTea on February 10, 2008, 09:33:02 PM

True, it's not fun. But you might be surprised what we can still manage to do in a skirt or dress when we're desperate enough.

Tsoggi, me has an idea.... You and Sir John can plan a safety course specifically for apostolic women (ya know, thinking along the lines of tactics for skirt-wearers to use), name the date and time and tuition cost, and all us gals can fly in to TX or OK for a crash course on fighting. *grin* You two have the training, and if I remember right, you both are quite used to teaching as well.

True. It ultimately comes down to trusting God anyway. But I don't think He expects us to be sitting ducks either.

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Tsalagi

Sis, that's why I said stay away from places that would allow someone to simply spring out and klonk you. 

Also, what's commonly known as "the martial arts" isn't where I would look for training.  When I say combat system, I mean find yourself some ex-military types and learn some dirty moves from them. 

Only learn a few, and very nasty ones.

Regardless of what you choose to study for self-defense, what really matters is the dedication of the student.  A person can't expect to go to a seminar and be ready for a street assault.

Truth is, nothing will prepare you for that. 

So my advice as far as self-defense for women goes:  You usually can't beat up a guy, so he's stronger.  Or outrun him, so he's faster.  If he leaps on you out of hiding, nine times out of ten your goose is cooked.

You might have one chance to duck, or none.  Which is why I say women should learn to use pistols, it's not like it's something their dainty little minds can't process :D

Besides, "gun-fu" only has one move:

point finger!  bang, bang!

Sis

Well, this girl felt so guilty because she knew how to street fight, she knew martial arts, thought she was invincible and was shocked that she still got way-laid.  She kept saying it over and over, I thought I had it covered. Just reminding people, not just women because muggers don't care who you are, that even knowing that stuff, you can get into trouble.

It just kind of freaked me out. It was an eye-opener for sure.

QuoteBesides, "gun-fu" only has one move:

I think that was the guy who tried to rob Ethyl, well, actually, he didn't even point his finger. LOL

Babs

Quote from: Sis on February 11, 2008, 01:30:53 AM

QuoteBesides, "gun-fu" only has one move:

I think that was the guy who tried to rob Ethyl, well, actually, he didn't even point his finger. LOL

LOL Right!
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Nerd

QuoteAlthough I've never tried it, I betcha fighting in a skirt would be a pain.

It can be done. Ask 'Braveheart'.

Sis

A couple of my button up the front jean skirts give me enough room to kick my foot up over my head. For the wise guys: Yes, the foot is still attached to my leg...   :laughhard:

The Purple Fuzzy

Wonder why we never even thought of this at the OK GP meetup... :rofl:
Quote from: SippinTea on February 10, 2008, 09:33:02 PM

Newsman

Lady Sandra,

I'll bet there might be one or two (or more) folks who wouldn't mind a repeat 'engagement'  :laughhard:

Back to the seriousness of the subject,

I may have addressed this way back in the thread, but many many years ago, I read of an encounter between a woman whoi had a brown belt and a man who attacked her. She stayed and fought him. It turned out he had gotten his black belt in Korea, and took from her what he wanted.

From the book Starship Troopers, the drill sergeant Zim says something to the effect that there is no such thing as dangeorus weapons, but dangerous people..there is some truth to that.

Awareness of the situation you are in, the possible avenues for fight/flight are important..getting out of the situation needs to be paramount.. and I would agree with Chris...if you pull a gun on a man, shoot him DEAD.

John