Safety & Single Women

Started by SippinTea, February 05, 2007, 06:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SippinTea

:nono: Stop that, Sir John....you'll confuse the poor lady!

LOL

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Newsman

she's already offline
she's already offline

she won't see it for a while
she won't see it for a while

John  :waving:

SippinTea

Okay then....quit 'cause you'll confuse ME! And goodness knows I'm confused enough already. *grin*

Sister_Mom

It's a good thing I didn't see those before I went to bed last night! I would have surely known I was losing it.  :laughhard:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

SippinTea

Ya already done lost it, Babe.

(Did that sound adequately Seth-like? *grin*)

Sister_Mom

Exept for the "babe" part!  :o
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

SippinTea

*looks dubious*

I don't know.... He's been throwing around a lot of endearments lately. *grin*

Nerd

RainbowJingles

Ummm...  I was trying to be nice and not make direct referrals there, Sir Newsman, but if you'd like to blow your own cover, I'm not gonna stop ya!  lol

Quote from: Newsman on July 06, 2007, 03:41:57 AM
It wasn't me! It wasn't! I'm tellin' ya, it was that other guy! I..wha? oh, umm, never mind  :oops:

Quote from: RainbowJingles on July 05, 2007, 10:13:57 PM
I overheard a guy (well beyond his 30's) who has recently signed up for a membership on an apostolic singles website tell someone that he's getting flack from some of his elders for "trying to find a wife on the Internet."

SippinTea

The Nun sits back with the  :popcorn: and watches the single gals of GP flock to said website.

*grin*

Classicrambler

Quote from: nwlife on July 06, 2007, 01:29:57 AM
So rambler finally posted one of his high school pics?   :laughhard:

Where? Where? I wanna see!

InChristGirl

Quote from: Classicrambler on July 06, 2007, 11:42:12 PM
Quote from: nwlife on July 06, 2007, 01:29:57 AM
So rambler finally posted one of his high school pics?   :laughhard:

Where? Where? I wanna see!

Look! Prom pictures. :laughhard:

Classicrambler

:blush:

I'll be in my dressing room if anyone wants me.

Tsalagi

Is it just me, or does that guy look like Austin Powers?  :o

Nerd

InChristGirl

Quote from: Tsalagi on July 18, 2007, 09:12:03 PM
Is it just me, or does that guy look like Austin Powers?  :o

Dude!!! No way! :tantrum: :tantrum:

LeahMarie

I can't see the other picture.. Just the Austin Powers dude :sadbounce:
Dance Like Nobody\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Watching, Love Like You\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

lojack

If i was a bad guy, MOST women wouldn't stand a chance...I'm just being honest.  BUT!!!  if i had to give advice to a single woman who would like to deter being harmed it would be this.  Try to stay in highly visible places where there are lots of people and lots of lights.  No walking down dimly lit streets/alleys.  Be aware of your surroundings at all time.  Keep looking 360 degrees, a bad guy might think twice if the woman seems to be aware.   Buy a can of oc pepper spray, make sure it's not the misting spray type but the stream.  Yes it will take you purposely aiming at the perp, but you won't have the wind blowing it back in your face. Also if you do wind up having to spray someone, of course hit him in the face and the immediately move back and then to the left or right.  That way he only remembers your last position and will likely not know where you went.  spray up and down from his face to his chest.  the spray will soak his clothes and the fumes will keep irritating him.  Here is a very important thing imo. have the actual can in your hand when you are walking down the street to your car and take the safety off.  Either he will notice you have something and will move on or if he does decide to come over to you, there will be no fiddling in your purse trying to find it and then unlocking the safety button...you don't have time to be fiddling with the safety.  Before he reaches you, don't be timid. look him straight in the eyes and move out of the way to let him go by.  if he moves with you, before he gets within 10-15 feet, raise the pepper spray and aim it at him and in a very loud voice tell him to stop right there and to get away.  If he proceeds to start to talk to you, back away and repeat yourself.  If he persists in coming towards you, follow the above and spray him and move out of the way.  Don't get up close to him to spray him, you can't risk him grabbing you and chocking you or stabbing you.  Just run and scream "Fire, call 911"  look back often to make sure he isn't behind you.  look for lights that are on in a house and bang on the door, he doesn't want neighbors coming out to see what's going on. 

I think it's a tendency for women at night to be timid, they don't make a lot of eye contact, they look at the ground when they walk and react too late when the perps moves in.  At night time, don't fall for the trick where he's asking for directions.  It's very unlikely that he doesn't know where he's at if it's night and he is walking.  Tell him your sorry but you can't help him.  If he breaks any of the rules above, spray him.  If for some reason a man suprises you out of nowhere and pops out right in front of you, 1 thing for sure that will get his attention...do your best to ram your fingers into one of his eye sockets.  as you strike his eyes, his hands will try to stop it, but with your other hand proceed to spray him in the face. If you succeed getting one of your fingers in his eye, he will immediately tear up and hopefully you damaged him badly with your nails.  Again, back away and move to the left or right while spraying and then run.  If he sneaks up from behind you and grabs you in a bear hug, scream as loud as you can, kick as hard as you can, and try to bash his face with the back of your head. If he lets go, immediately spray him and run.  Remember to keep a good hold of your pepper spray after he grabs you, you will get a chance to use it even if he staves off your defensive moves.  Depending on your comfort level with the spray, you can aim it behind your head and spray back and forth.  once he realizes that it is pepperspray, he'll most likely let go real quick so as to not get hit with it.  but most likely you'll hit him somewhere in the face.  If you're not able to or feel comfortable with it, wait until he turns you around to face him, he is going to be way way way stronger than you, but once you get the chance to spray him, do so.  But don't make it obvious that you have soemthing in your hand, you don't want him trying to take it away from you.  If i was a bad guy, i would either try to surprise my victim or try to play the 'nice stranger', get close, and then attack.  When i say attack, i would sock her in the head as hard i could so as to knock her out.  There wouldn't be any screaming woman drawing attention to what i'm doing.  So ladies, please please please keep any and all strangers at night time physically away from you.  100% of all women who have been raped were too close to the perpetrator to begin with. Your 'bubble' at night time should be dramatically increased in size.  Your safety isn't negotiable.

Another idea is to take a womens self defense class that addresses some of these scenarios.  There's a school for self defense in my city where they teach men and women how to protect themselves on the streets.  This class is no joke.  They will forcefully grab you, throw you on the ground, sit on you, and slap you (mimicking punches).  They will throw you up against a wall and chock you. (i've seen holes in the drywall where people have been thrown into).  This is almost as close as it gets to experiencing a real attack.  They teach and encourage eye gouging, groin strikes, and biting.  Anything goes when it comes to protecting yourself.  It's a great school and i wish there were at least one in every city for women to attend.  In my opinion, training of some sort is essential.  For example, do you think that the guys who sit on the sideline on a basketball or football team not know how to play?  Of course they do!!  They practice just about everyday with the starters just in case they are needed.  Now what good would the guys on the sideline be if they had never caught a football or dribbled a basketball?  They would get destroyed on the field/court.  Being able to defend yourself on the street is no different.  What are the chances a 120lb woman with no training that could handle a situation where a 210lb man was quickly approaching her saying that he wants her?  Realistically??  She would be raped.  But what if she had some hands on training where she repeatedly had to stave off attacks from men that size and bigger?  and she knew how to keep them out of her bubble but if necessary she could pepper spray them?  Realistically, she'd have a 90% + chance of getting away unhurt.  So my question to the ladies on this board is this.  How important is your personal safety to you?  You say that it is really important, but have you done much to educate yourself in this area? And if the answer is no, what are you waiting for?  Too late is always happens too soon.   Sorry for the long post, but this is just some food for thought!
Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

SippinTea

Whoa. *blinks*

Lojack, that was the best post I've seen you make. Thanks.  :great:

The situation I initially started this thread over has gone away, but those circumstances left me a lot more aware of safety. I'm taking mental notes from your post.

Sis

Didn't read it. Solid blocks of print with no breaks makes my eyes water. I never read them when they look like that.

lojack

i made one extra break just for joooo  :P
Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

Sis

Thanx, but still kinda dense. There are about three or four of us with vision problems that have trouble like that. I'm the only one with a big mouth, though.

Babs

Quote from: Sis on February 10, 2008, 07:18:37 AM
Thanx, but still kinda dense. There are about three or four of us with vision problems that have trouble like that. I'm the only one with a big mouth, though.

LOL

i am one of them lol
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Ashlee

It's really awesome though Sis, you should go back and try.  It's a good lesson we all need to learn.

Sis

Quote from: teacheroftheLord on February 10, 2008, 07:40:31 AM
It's really awesome though Sis, you should go back and try.  It's a good lesson we all need to learn.

I would have to print it larger, and I'm too tired. I'm sure it's the same safety stuff I've posted in the past.