News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

How deep are your roots?

Started by Dew-Ax-238, February 04, 2009, 04:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dew-Ax-238

I shared this on Monday Feb2 at our ladies meeting and I thought that I would share it with the gang

How Deep Are Your Roots?

The Question is how deep are your roots? Are you top soil, that when the wind blows it will uproot you and blow you away? Or are you rooted in grounded in the Lord, that when the storms of life come blowing into your life that you are able to withstand?

In the 4 chapter of the book of Philippians you find that Paul and Silas went through a horrible ordeal. You can find the story on the 16th chapter of Acts.         

In the 4th chapter of Philippians, Paul tells us that we need to stand fast.

Philippians 4:1 Therefore my brethren and longed for, my joy and crown, so STAND FAST in the Lord, my dearly beloved.

In other words stand firm in the Lord. Be rooted and grounded. We need to become like that tree that is planted by the waters.

Psalms 1:3a...   And he shall be like a tree that is planted by the rivers of water....

There is a hymn that says.. I Shall Not Be Moved....
I shall not be, I shall not be moved
I shall not be, I shall not be moved
Just like a tree that's planted by the waters
I shall not be moved.

We need to become like that tree... Trees that are planted besides a water base Something unique happens, there roots go down deep and that spend wide. They have a firm base. Why it is because the water is its life source.

The way that we can become rooted, having our roots  in the Lord go deep and spread wide, it to pray, fast, getting into the word, digging into it. Be faithful to the Lord. The more that we do this the deep we become grounded in the things of the Lord.

Isaiah tells us that we will over come, that he will be us.
Isaiah 43:2 2: When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Notice that it tells us that when we go through the waters, he will be with us, through the rivers we will overcome. Sometime when we go through things of this world it seems like everything is being thrown at us. Sometimes I feel like I am walking along the beach and the tidal waves are beginning to roll in. When those waves start the higher they become and the more powerful they are, at times they knock you off of your feet if you are not careful.  Then there are other times when things become so hot, it is like you are in a pit, which you can not get out of, BUT in those times, Isaiah tells us, that we will NOT be burned.

It is in these times that we need to bear down and become rooted in the word and in prayer. This is how we overcome the devil.

Philippians 4:4 4: Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
We have to remember, what Paul is talking about here, Paul and Silas were beaten, with in a inch of their lives, they were thrown into jail, the way I understand this, the jail that they were in was like a dungeons, it was the most center part of this pit, it was dark and cold, and who knows that was in the pit. Did Paul and Silas feel sorry for themselves, or blame the Lord for the mess that they were in? Instead they REJOICED in the Lord. They sang praises unto the Lord.

That is how we need to become, start to rejoice, 2 Thessalonians 5:18 18: In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Finally in Isaiah 43:18-19 18: Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.

Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it?  I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Sometimes we get tripped up on the things from our past, the devil loves to throw those things up, to try and discourage us. We have to rebuke him and tell he that the past is the past.

Notice it says remember not the former things.  In 19 it tells us when we do this He will do a new thing in our lives Can we not see it? I love this part it tells us that he will make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.  When things seem like they are impossible in our nature, it is then that the Lord makes a way.

But we have to do our part of getting rooted and grounded in the things of the Lord. We have to like our spiritual roots become deep and wide and strong, so that when the storms of life come blowing our way we will be able to with stand, we can become firm in the things of the Lord.
Isaiah 43:2    
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee: and through the rivers, when thou walkest through the shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shall not be burned: neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.