News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Roscoe's on duty, better toe the line, in Sharing 469

Started by Lynx, September 24, 2012, 01:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

We say beautiful and it fits.  However, the "sinking in grace"...  I recently heard my pastor preach on the power of grace and that God has so very much that we're swimming in it.  Sinking... seems to have a negative connotation but I don't have high expectations of secular Christian music.  If there is a good song, great.  If it's not a great song, should I be surprised?

I think it's the chorus that makes the song moving.  Also, sometimes I immediate consider how some of the more modern songs seem to guys.  How can a guy perceive "sloppy wet kiss" from His Father/Jesus?  Especially if they don't know a healthy affectionate father.  However,  I don't think that is shocking either.  I was just telling a friend today that I get slightly aggitated with some of the Christian radio songs.  Some of them give off a homosexual vibe.  I don't know how to explain it.  But this song. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWL5NawbbiU

Ummm... I wish it would be destroyed.  It seriously creeps me out.  What father breathes that heavy like he's sexy, while singing that to his daughter?  Perhaps I would have to be a dad to understand. 

Chseeads

This, dear sister, and other concerned sloppy wet kiss parties, is why the rest of us favor Southern Gospel. 

:hypocrite:

Melody

I'm missing the distinction between the two.  One seems like it's taking family to an unhealthy place, the other makes ya wonder if they still inbreed.

MsJennJenn

I like that song.....and for me, whom 90% of my music is black....that's saying a lot lol

The lyrics are very good. It's about a father being a father, but he's still not enough...Jesus is the one the girl ultimately needs.

His breathing is prob just the way his voice is. It is a tad low for him. He sings a little higher later on, and he doesn't sound so "husky"....
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

almondjoy

Seth, we can always count on you to be willing to provide a good beating to someone here.

SippinTea

Butterfly Kisses is one that creeps me out. I know, I know. Loads of people love that song. But I can't help it - it makes me shudder every time I hear it.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

RainbowJingles

SippinTea

Lynx

MellowYellow you confused me on one point.  Could you clarify "secular christian music"?  I thought it was either secular or christian.

Or are you referring to christian music that is made and/or sung to put out an album and make a buck, as opposed to singing as a ministry?  I've heard some "christian" singers sing even Amazing Grace in a very secular sounding way.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

RainbowJingles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLErNXIYjMg
Ummm...  Wooby, I'm thinking you may want to show this to Soggy so he doesn't try this.  If there happens to be a girl in the house, he may very well melt enough to try something like this.  ;-)

SippinTea

Oh my goodness! :laughhard: I'm amazed the crib didn't collapse! Those mattresses aren't exactly made to hold up dad. LOL!

On a more serious vein... while the quality of this video is positively dreadful, I seriously love this medley: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZT4bA29bxM&feature=related

RainbowJingles

No kidding.  I was like...  He must have built that crib or something, to have that much confidence in it!!
I was cracking UP.  It was like a Mr. Bean time lapse.  *shaking my head*

RainbowJingles

Wow.  Lots of golden oldies sewn together with new stuff.  Gotta LOVE that!  :-)

Melody

Quote from: RainbowJingles on September 26, 2012, 05:50:01 AMWow.  Lots of golden oldies sewn together with new stuff.  Gotta LOVE that!  :-)

the teacher tonight made a funny about music.  He said the verse says "sing a new song" so in other words, it's good to have new songs... LOL

http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?criteria=new+song&sstr=0&t=KJV

Melody

Quote from: Psalm_97 on September 26, 2012, 05:15:40 AMMellowYellow you confused me on one point.  Could you clarify "secular christian music"?  I thought it was either secular or christian.

Or are you referring to christian music that is made and/or sung to put out an album and make a buck, as opposed to singing as a ministry?  I've heard some "christian" singers sing even Amazing Grace in a very secular sounding way.

While I don't think Apostolics are the only anointed or sincere Christian artists, and I'm not sure where the exact line is, some artists bare no resemblance of Jesus other than the songs someone else wrote for them.  I call these secular Christian artists, just like I consider shallow denominations to be secular Christianity.  A culture in which there is little to no difference between them and the world but still touts Christian words/music.  It's not Christian just because it says Jesus.

mini

Quote from: MellowYellow on September 26, 2012, 03:15:14 AM
I think it's the chorus that makes the song moving.  Also, sometimes I immediate consider how some of the more modern songs seem to guys.  How can a guy perceive "sloppy wet kiss" from His Father/Jesus?  Especially if they don't know a healthy affectionate father.  However,  I don't think that is shocking either.  I was just telling a friend today that I get slightly aggitated with some of the Christian radio songs.  Some of them give off a homosexual vibe.  I don't know how to explain it.  But this song. 

My pastor made a point one day about this:  Many of our (christendom in general) worship songs are effeminate.  And without realizing it, males in general do not relate to these kind of songs.  When you try a worship song and talk about tears, some men may not respond.  When you try a worship song and it talks about "loving arms" men may not respond.  There are probably many more examples.

Quote from: SippinTea on September 26, 2012, 04:24:54 AM
Butterfly Kisses is one that creeps me out. I know, I know. Loads of people love that song. But I can't help it - it makes me shudder every time I hear it.

I. HATE. THAT. SONG.  When it first hit the airwaves, it annoyed me.  Then it went viral, and every Christian radio station was playing it dozens of times a day (or was it a hour?).  That really helped me dislike it. 

I dislike glurge (Glurge is best described as the cloyingly sentimental stories, testimonials and object lessons frequently sent as email or chain letters.) songs in general.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

mini

Quote from: MellowYellow on September 26, 2012, 06:22:26 AM
Quote from: Psalm_97 on September 26, 2012, 05:15:40 AMMellowYellow you confused me on one point.  Could you clarify "secular christian music"?  I thought it was either secular or christian.

While I don't think Apostolics are the only anointed or sincere Christian artists, and I'm not sure where the exact line is, some artists bare no resemblance of Jesus other than the songs someone else wrote for them.  I call these secular Christian artists, just like I consider shallow denominations to be secular Christianity.  A culture in which there is little to no difference between them and the world but still touts Christian words/music.  It's not Christian just because it says Jesus.

I heard a preacher (can't remember who at the moment, I want to say Bro Mooney) say you need to try the spirit of new songs.  If a bunch of dope smoking hippies wrote a song that mentions Jesus, it does not mean it should be played as our next new worship song. 
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

The Purple Fuzzy

Melody

Quote from: minnesota68 on September 26, 2012, 01:08:57 PMI dislike glurge (Glurge is best described as the cloyingly sentimental stories, testimonials and object lessons frequently sent as email or chain letters.) songs in general.

I have never heard that word before but I could not agree more.  I thought perhaps I'm just a mean old hag with no sentimentalness.... LOL  But it seems absolutely flakey.  I cry just as easy as the next girl maybe but I'd say but not just about every little thing.

MsJennJenn

It's a morning of sneezes and rational expressions. They both are for the birds.

:smirk2:
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

SippinTea

Quote from: minnesota68 on September 26, 2012, 01:08:57 PM

My pastor made a point one day about this:  Many of our (christendom in general) worship songs are effeminate.  And without realizing it, males in general do not relate to these kind of songs.  When you try a worship song and talk about tears, some men may not respond.  When you try a worship song and it talks about "loving arms" men may not respond.  There are probably many more examples.

I. HATE. THAT. SONG.  When it first hit the airwaves, it annoyed me.  Then it went viral, and every Christian radio station was playing it dozens of times a day (or was it a hour?).  That really helped me dislike it. 

I dislike glurge (Glurge is best described as the cloyingly sentimental stories, testimonials and object lessons frequently sent as email or chain letters.) songs in general.

Totally agree with everything in the above post.

Should I be worried I'm agreeing with Mini? :o Nah. Probably not. It would be way more shocking if I agreed with Cheese about something. :cool:

Lynx

Quote from: minnesota68 on September 26, 2012, 01:17:56 PM

I heard a preacher (can't remember who at the moment, I want to say Bro Mooney) say you need to try the spirit of new songs.  If a bunch of dope smoking hippies wrote a song that mentions Jesus, it does not mean it should be played as our next new worship song.
Yeah, that.  And just because they play it on a christian radio station doesn't mean it's good.  Some songs have christian words but a very worldly spirit.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

taco_harvell

Quote from: minnesota68 on September 26, 2012, 01:08:57 PM

I kind of prefer Roscoe's term for sons like this,  he would call it "A Jesus please be my boyfriend song".

I read an interesting article a few years ago that later became a book entitled "Why Men Hate Church". It covered how the church in the last hundred years has gone in a very feminine direction and proved it with the kind of worships songs we sing then versus now.

One that always makes me cringe is "Hold me in your arms". Ummmmm not my type of "worship music". 
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

SippinTea

Jason - are you thinking of Wrap Me in Your Arms? If so, it's not just guys that cringe on that one. I do too. :smirk2: And yes, the Why Men Hate Church book is excellent. There's another great one along the same lines, but I'm blank on the title at the moment.