Question for Firefox gurus

Started by M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ, October 21, 2007, 12:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

How do I back-up/copy my bookmarks?  I know Firefox does it's own back-ups periodically, but where does it save the file?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to copy all of my bookmarks from one computer and put them onto another computer.  With IE it's real easy; just copy the "Favorites" folder from one PC and move it to another PC, replacing the "Favorites" folder that is on the 2nd PC.  I can't seem to find a similar folder in Firefox that I can copy.

I also back-up my computer's important files regularly and would like to have the Firefox bookmarks backed-up externally just in case I ever have to reload my system.  Restoring my bookmarks from an external back-up would be easier than hitting each site individually and bookmarking them all over again.

Any advice anyone can give would be appreciated.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Babs

Steps to Backup Your Firefox Bookmarks

In Firefox, you can back up your bookmarks by doing the following:

* Click on the Bookmarks tab on the top of the browser page and choose the Organize bookmarks option.
    * This will bring you to the bookmarks manager page where you can see all the bookmarks that you have saved and the options in organizing them.
    * Choose the file drop down menu to bring up the import/export options and to access it.
    * Choose the export option from the file drop down menu to being up the export bookmark screen.
    * Choose the location where you would like to save your bookmarks and click on save. This will make a copy of your browsers bookmarks on the location you have specified. You can also save this information on a removable or floppy disc or a flash drive.
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

mini

Download Foxmarks.  From the link:

"The Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer automatically synchronizes your bookmarks between two or more computers running Firefox. It also lets you access your bookmarks from any computer anytime via my.foxmarks.com. An easy-to-use wizard guides you through the quick startup process. Then Foxmarks works silently in the background to keep your bookmarks up-to-date on all your computers.

Simple. Solid. Free. And ready to use."
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

SippinTea

Oooo.... I did not know that.

*takes notes*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: PCs rule on October 21, 2007, 01:00:49 PMYou can also save this information on a removable or floppy disc or a flash drive.
Thanks for the info.  I didn't need to save it to a flash drive since I have a file server that's accessible to all my computers and gets backed-up regularly.  The file server is where I keep all of my important don't-want-to-lose files.

The method you spelled out works, however, when you import the bookmarks, it will simply add the new ones to the already existing bookmarks on the PC.  I wanted to replace the entire set of bookmarks with the import file.  All I had to do was delete the old ones after I imported the new ones (I'm sure you can delete prior, but I didn't know it was going to just add the new ones) which was an extra step I wasn't expecting.  But it all worked out in the end.

Thanks again.
Move along, nothing to see here.