News:

:teeth: To crack the Top 10 posters, you must have over 11,000 posts. :teeth:

Main Menu

Your Typical Sunday

Started by RainbowJingles, February 11, 2012, 04:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainbowJingles

I was thinking the other day...  most of us tend to think of Sunday as our "Day of Rest" so to speak.  Yet, what is YOUR typical Sunday like?

For me, some Sundays went like this:
Unlock the church
Put on the coffee
Set up Kids Church
Teach Kids Church
Run Upstairs for Adult Service
Sing and/or watch children during adult service
Connect with many guests
Meet with people who were helping with nursing home service
Go to the nursing home
Play the piano at nursing home
Speak and/or testify at nursing home
Take someone home and/or go out to lunch (a VERY late lunch/dinner)
CRASH

Now, it's somewhat less intense, but it includes
Teaching teen class
Leading worship and playing piano
Singing/playing at altar time
Getting some food
Crashing a couple hours
Leading worship and playing piano
Singing/playing at altar time

...which tends to make my Saturdays a bit crazy at times, trying to hone my mediocre piano skills, practice, find songs that people know AND that I can play, and that are in the right key (and sometimes transposing them)...  finalize lesson prep...

I don't think I'd know what to do if I had a Sunday where I didn't have to do anything, though!  lol

Scott

Fight kids out of bed

Fight traffic to church

(nearly get hit by idiot drivers)

Turn on sound board

Turn on computer

Meet with pastor

Pray

Play for 1st service

(teach new converts or adult class as scheduled)

(sometimes run sound board/projections/camera - if the regulars are gone)

Meet and greet people

Take attendance for my 1/4 of the church, meet all visitors and make sure no one walks into my quadrant and is ignore. (The church is divided into quarters, each minister is responsible for 1/4 - my area usually has the most visitors - so I am pretty busy)

Music in 2nd service

Meet and greet people after church

Home

Back at 5:30 for music practice..

Go home
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

If I have gotten the bulletin typed Saturday, I drive the church bus home instead of my van because the first kids I pick up are about two minutes from where I live.  If I haven't got the bulletin done yet, I start at 7am... which is harder than it sounds because I'm a second shift guy.

Get up, get dressed

Insert typing bulletin here if not done last night

Pick up kids.  Fortunately they are no longer nearly as wild as they used to be.

Sunday School.  Don't forget to put a fresh battery in mic for Sis. Kim's children's church, which follows Sunday School.  Try to refrain from blowing up the copier which has jammed up again.  If something is going to go wrong with a computer or the sound system, it usually happens here, because they are typing up the list of visitors and people absent and trying to get it printed out, and the sound system is being used for the first time since Wednesday.

Morning worship.  Usually I don't have to do anything here - Bro. David has the sound booth, Sis. Kim is teaching Children's Church.  :)

Drive the kids home.

Eat lunch, check the forum, maybe take a nap depending on how much sleep I got last night, fiddle with other computer stuff, get something done if it needs it... maybe.  Jot down some words that would look like disjointed bits of ramblings to most people, but to me are cues for where to go next in the Children's Church lesson tonight.

Pick up kids.

Evening worship.  Relax until they announce kids are dismissed.

Teach Sunday night Children's Church.  They know by now I'll send them downstairs if they give me too much trouble, so they're not so bad anymore.  Sometimes I can even tell they are listening. 

Take kids home. 

Piddle around until after midnight.  If I went to bed sooner, I'd get tired way before quitting time Monday night.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Scott

I used to do our church bulletin, but when we got a web page and video projections we just give a one page bulletin out.

I used to do a 4 page bulletin that took me 3 to 10 hours to do every Saturday.  I was a crazy perfectionist.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

mini

Typical Sunday? 

Up at 6 or 6:30, get ready, leave by no later than 9.

25 minute drive to church.

Prep youth room.

Go to sanctuary,  get music list from musicians, get schedule ready for pastor (announcements, prayer requests, specials, ect), slides ready, music entered into EasyWorship.

Meet and greet everyone.

Usually Pastor handles worship, then I come up and take care of the rest of the preliminary's.

Teach youth class.

Visit with church members after service.

Depending on what I am doing that night (preaching or just helping) we will either eat out, or go home.  And if I am preaching, but have the sermon ready, I will usually go home.  If not, I will stay at the church all day.  Or if like last Sunday, we did a hospital visit, its leave church, drive 1:15 to Tulsa, eat, visit, drive home for 45 minutes of rest, get up, drive back to church, clean, prep for the service, service, leave, head home and pass smooth out.

But typically, drive home.  Again, depending on where we went to eat, it may be a 25 to 45 minute drive home.

Rest for a couple of hours (depending on cleaning).

Get up, get family up, and dressed.

Go to church.

Get all of service schedule ready.  Slides up, music on, whatever we can do. 

Prayer before service.

Meet and greet people.

Then depending on what needs to be done, I may be leading service, preaching, running sound, or (if I get a break) bouncing around the front of the church worshiping.  If I am leading, I am bouncing around the platform...lol

Meet and greet people after church.

Head home.

Sleep.

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

"And if I am preaching, but have the sermon ready, I will usually go home.  If not, I will stay at the church all day."

I do that sometimes, if there is a choir practice before evening service, I have Children's Church lesson still to get together and/or some music projects to get finished for something.  A lot easier to focus on stuff when you don't have phone, internet, your favorite books, etc. around to distract you, and plenty of time to get it done.  :)
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Melody

Up by 6:30.
My awesome husband often finishes up any ironing that may need done while I do Hannah & my hair. 
To church by 8:20.
Praise team practice @ 8:30.
Choir by 9.
Prayer room immediately after that.
If Nathan or we have any particular thing to do in that service then we go to the pastor's office with the leadership to review the schedule & pray with pastor.
Sunday school but we have to dodge out early to gather & start worship service with the team.
Praise sing.
We either help work the alter service or are helping people get baptized or sing during alter/baptisms.
After service we network, check in with the leader in charge of follow up visitations to see if we are assigned any.
We usually get home from church by 1:30. Then I get to cooking.
We try to fellowship with someone ast least 2 of the Sundays a month.
Nathan has Timothy group once a month on Sunday evenings. Otherwise once we are done hosting, we are free. PTL!

Nathan does a World missions focus the first Sunday of every month combined with offering.

Occasionally i'll work in the nursery during the sermon.

Chseeads

You all make everything sound so complicated.

Go to church, come home.

:P

:hypocrite:

Lynx

MellowYellow - a man who does the ironing? 

KEEP HIM!  :great:
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

Yes, marrying young has the advantages of training eachother. 

I told him he can either iron his own shirt or do Hannah's hair. All 3ft.

He chose the iron.

Scott

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 11, 2012, 06:03:50 PM
Yes, marrying young has the advantages of training eachother. 

I told him he can either iron his own shirt or do Hannah's hair. All 3ft.

He chose the iron.

My mom made me learn to iron at age 10.  It was years before I dared let my wife iron my clothes.

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

Quote from: Chseeads on February 11, 2012, 05:24:07 PM
You all make everything sound so complicated.

Go to church, come home.

:P

:hypocrite:

*sigh*

Seth - you need help.

At our church we do not have an evening service.  We live in an area that is steeped with traditionalism and it is hard to get visitors to come to evening services. Hence we have two in the a.m. and use the night for music / choir practices, prayer meetings, pot lucks, parties or family nights.  We have a lot going on throughout the week.

The Never Ending Battle

Chseeads

I DO need help...then I wouldn't have to do everything myself and my Sunday schedule would be much less complex.  :hypocrite:

Scott

Quote from: Chseeads on February 11, 2012, 10:03:48 PM
I DO need help...then I wouldn't have to do everything myself and my Sunday schedule would be much less complex.  :hypocrite:

Yeah it sounds complex..

go to church/come home.

Wow!

Which part do you need help with?

The Never Ending Battle

Chseeads

All the parts in between there.

Niki

Up at 8:00 AM (may start getting up earlier so we can get to church earlier for prayer), get the kids up at 10, try to leave by 10:30 but usually not out until 10:35-10:40, get to church between 10:50 and 10:55. Church starts at 11:00 and is usually over by 12:45/1:00. Spend some time talking before going home.

My husbands, the kids and I usually go out to eat after we get home from church. Most of the time it's Mexican. I usually take a 2-3 hour nap after that because I stay up so late at night.

We don't have an evening service anymore (this started summer 2010), but many of us want the evening service back. Still, we're having such revival and growth because of our increased focus on prayer. Every service people are receiving the Holy Ghost and getting baptized and every service is anointed and full of worship.
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

taco_harvell

I am not sure there is ever anything "typical" about my Sundays. lol
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Roscoe

Quote from: Niki on February 12, 2012, 06:43:25 AM
Up at 8:00 AM (may start getting up earlier so we can get to church earlier for prayer), get the kids up at 10, try to leave by 10:30 but usually not out until 10:35-10:40, get to church between 10:50 and 10:55. Church starts at 11:00 and is usually over by 12:45/1:00. Spend some time talking before going home.

My husbands, the kids and I usually go out to eat after we get home from church. Most of the time it's Mexican. I usually take a 2-3 hour nap after that because I stay up so late at night.

We don't have an evening service anymore (this started summer 2010), but many of us want the evening service back. Still, we're having such revival and growth because of our increased focus on prayer. Every service people are receiving the Holy Ghost and getting baptized and every service is anointed and full of worship.
Is there something we should know?!?!?  :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

MsJennJenn

Sunday's are NOT a day of rest for Pentecostal/Apostolic's lol....not those involved in anyway in any area of ministry anyways. If the service goes crazy, or you're in serious revival like we are, sometimes I sing for a good hour to an hour-half. That's physically and emotionally draining in of itself! Then if Pastor DOES decide to preach, kinda repeat the process haha...minus the long singing part.

Up by 8:30
Chorale practice by 9
Praise singer practice 9:15
Prayer 9:30
Church 10
Church out noon
Lunch
Nap
Up from nap by 4 (usually before)
Choir 4:45
Praise singer practice 5:15
Prayer 5:30
Church 6
Out usually by 8
Fellowship with friends
Home by 10 (usually)
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

nwlife

Depending on work calling me in or not- it's always busy.  What I am supposed to do , though I don't always make everything on the list.

7 am, Morning prayers (Anglican BCP)
breakfast ( a sandwich)
Get to the church by 8:30 am Turn on the fire stoves or AC (depending on weather.)
Service @ 9:30 AM duties: Music, lector  (Sometimes music at neighboring church at 11 am)
Clean the church Or (rush to the thrift store for my shift till 7 pm)
Lunch,
Help the pastor (he's 77 give or take a year) gather the supplies for the next week
communion to the homebound (on 1st sunday of month if I don't work at secular job)
Home, Evening prayers (anglican BCP) 
facebook for a couple hours, watch downton Abbey and some other BBC comedies- then pass out in the recliner.
Only through faith in the Grace of God through Jesus Christ am I saved. No other means and no other actions changes the predestination of my soul.

UPDATE:  I finally did find my wife.  Just waiting now to bring her to the USA!

Lynx

Your pastor too?  Our pastor is a flat 80, and sometimes it's all we younger guys can do to keep up with the man.  :cool:
"Do you sing at church?"

Niki

Quote from: Roscoe on February 12, 2012, 12:52:27 PM
Quote from: Niki on February 12, 2012, 06:43:25 AM

Is there something we should know?!?!?  :laughhard:

lol I noticed the typo, but left it because I thought it was too funny to correct.  :lol:  Though, there was a time when it seemed like I had two different husbands in one. lol
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.